Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Longtime Ram announces retirement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Raceland head football coach Randy Vanderhoof announces that he will no longer be the head coach of the Rams. He just told the team and coaches in the weight room.
You beat me to it.... I'd say that's the end of the air attack offense.
Yea.. I would say so. I don't have any info as far as his teaching and baseball jobs are concerned. I'm sure it was a tough decision. As much as everyone criticizes his offenses, we all know Hoof ate, slept, and breathed Ram football.
I hate to hear that. He was one of my favorite coaches when I was at Raceland. The man loved Raceland more than anyone I knew. Did he state any reasons for retiring? Who are the candidates to replace him?
I have zero facts to back this up. But I would think Maynard woukd be taking the role as headcoach..
The player that told me simply said hoof stated, "this is something that every head coach has to go through at some point... It's not you guys. It's because of a number of factors... But I will not be your head coach next season." But let's be perfectly honest... This has been in the making for a while. Since Maynard has been in Ramland, he has turned down a few head coaching jobs elsewhere. Him staying around as an assistant at a single A school after being a head coach at a bigger school (GCHS), certainly suggests he's been waiting on this opportunity.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:I have zero facts to back this up. But I would think Maynard woukd be taking the role as headcoach..

That was the first name that came to my head as well, along with Gary Fannin.
Hate to hear that he did a great job. I wish him the best.
So does this mean we see the Rams in a Wing-T next season?
God.....I hope not.
Watching the Wing-t is like watching Paint Dry. I think if you went to a purely run oriented offense you would lose some kids.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Watching the Wing-t is like watching Paint Dry. I think if you went to a purely run oriented offense you would lose some kids.
Not uncommon these days. Where to next?
OU812 Wrote:Not uncommon these days. Where to next?

What do you mean.... where to next?
I mean that lot's of parents/kids get disgruntled, take their ball and go elsewhere. Common practice.
OU812 Wrote:I mean that lot's of parents/kids get disgruntled, take their ball and go elsewhere. Common practice.

Raceland has been mostly on the recieving end of that and not the leaving end of it.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Raceland has been mostly on the recieving end of that and not the leaving end of it.
What's your point? You mentioned if they went to a run offense they'd lose kids.
I didn't mean they would lose kids to other schools.....i simply meant that kids would lose intrest in boring football and play something else.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I didn't mean they would lose kids to other schools.....i simply meant that kids would lose intrest in boring football and play something else.
Gotcha. But at Raceland, what else is there? No disrespect to the other programs, but to say that Raceland is a football school is like saying water is wet, air is invisible, etc.
OU812 Wrote:Gotcha. But at Raceland, what else is there? No disrespect to the other programs, but to say that Raceland is a football school is like saying water is wet, air is invisible, etc.

I wouldn't call Racealnd a football school. A football school is like a beechwood or a Highlands....Somewhere where they have multiple state championships. Raceland doesn't even have a regional title. We have a regional baseball Title....why aren't we considered a baseball school? Better yet...We have a State track championship...why aren't we a Track school. Bottom line is there are plenty of other things to do. Some people like to view it as a Football school but it ain't.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I wouldn't call Racealnd a football school. A football school is like a beechwood or a Highlands....Somewhere where they have multiple state championships. Raceland doesn't even have a regional title. We have a regional baseball Title....why aren't we considered a baseball school? Better yet...We have a State track championship...why aren't we a Track school. Bottom line is there are plenty of other things to do. Some people like to view it as a Football school but it ain't.
I totally disagree. Same for Russell, football school.

But to get back to the topic, I hope that Coach Maynard gets his shot there. Is there any reason to think he wouldn't?
For what good reason would we be called a football school?
OU812 Wrote:I totally disagree. Same for Russell, football school.

But to get back to the topic, I hope that Coach Maynard gets his shot there. Is there any reason to think he wouldn't?

I think it will be his job to turn down.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:For what good reason would we be called a football school?
Most important sport at the school, most emphasis. Don't even say basketball, not happening. Track is for football kids in off season. Baseball has been fair, hard to say Raceland is a baseball school. Wow, not sure why this is an issue for you. Perhaps we should start a poll for those outside Raceland to see how the masses view your school.

Again, to reel in, if TJ gets the job, will they continue on the same course offensively? I would guess they'd run a bit more, but considering the success of the past few seasons, it would be difficult for me if I were in charge to change much.
OU812 Wrote:Most important sport at the school, most emphasis. Don't even say basketball, not happening. Track is for football kids in off season. Baseball has been fair, hard to say Raceland is a baseball school. Wow, not sure why this is an issue for you. Perhaps we should start a poll for those outside Raceland to see how the masses view your school.

Again, to reel in, if TJ gets the job, will they continue on the same course offensively? I would guess they'd run a bit more, but considering the success of the past few seasons, it would be difficult for me if I were in charge to change much.

Most emphasis I would agree with....Most Important??? It shouldn't be. They should all have the same emphasis and importance placed on them. Again....these are reasons that you and others view it as a football school. That doesn't make it a football school. If you were to say that Beechwood were a football school I would have to agree without discussion. Back to TJ...I wouldn't think a whole lot would change this year....with only two returning lineman they aren't going to run on anybody they will throw and throw some more this year.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I wouldn't call Racealnd a football school. A football school is like a beechwood or a Highlands....Somewhere where they have multiple state championships. Raceland doesn't even have a regional title. We have a regional baseball Title....why aren't we considered a baseball school? Better yet...We have a State track championship...why aren't we a Track school. Bottom line is there are plenty of other things to do. Some people like to view it as a Football school but it ain't.

WOW!!!! I Disagree with you.. you must be a new Ram around here because Racelands tradition is up there with any of the big dogs in the state. To say Raceland is not a football school is dumb! Not calling you out just trying to show you how much football means to the towns of Raceland and Worthington. Btw we also have a defending regional track team.
Coach Maynard is the obvious choice..but not saying this is gonna happen but how long do we have until the Russell job is open? Im sure that job would catch his eye also
BIGRAMLOVER1979 Wrote:WOW!!!! I Disagree with you.. you must be a new Ram around here because Racelands tradition is up there with any of the big dogs in the state. To say Raceland is not a football school is dumb! Not calling you out just trying to show you how much football means to the towns of Raceland and Worthington. Btw we also have a defending regional track team.

I graduated from Raceland In 1985. I'm not new. To say that Racelands "tradition" is right up there with a beechwood or a highlands or a danville or an Ironton is ludicrous. I like football and I don't want my school to lose at anything but, lets not get out of hand here. And.....it may mean a lot to both towns but, that still doesn't make it a football school.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I graduated from Raceland In 1985. I'm not new. To say that Racelands "tradition" is right up there with a beechwood or a highlands or a danville or an Ironton is ludicrous. I like football and I don't want my school to lose at anything but, lets not get out of hand here. And.....it may mean a lot to both towns but, that still doesn't make it a football school.
Ask Randy Vanderhoof if it's a football school. And although he's also the baseball coach, he'll tell you yes, Raceland is a football school. Just as many posters here will (and have already) attest to. If you graduated from Raceland in 85, you know it was a football school then, just as it is now. State titles don't make a school a football school or not. That's simply a goofy notion. Your argument about Beechwood could be transposed for Raceland and vice versa. What in the world is wrong with the moniker of being a football school? Good grief, I feel like I'm arguing with my kids.
What would you say Greenup is?
What is the criteria for being a football school?
Pages: 1 2