Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Students Sent Home Over American Flag Shirts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Five Northern California high school students were sent home from their school after coming to school wearing shirts with the American Flag on it during Cinco De Mayo. Kiet Do reports.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803
This is an OUTRAGE! We fought Mexico for California years ago and it looks like were gonna have to do it again!
smh
Is there more to the story about the T-Shirts? Were they too short? Or were they sent home for the fact that they portrayed the American Flag.
here is another article about it

"MORGAN HILL — The parents of five Morgan Hill high school students who were sent home after showing up in clothing emblazoned with American flags on Cinco de Mayo say the school's decision was "un-American."

The boys say the assistant principal of Live Oak High School told them on Wednesday to take off their shirts or turn them inside out because they were offending some Hispanic students and school officials worried they could spark a fight.

The boys' shorts and shoes also had American flags.

The boys say when they refused, they were sent home.

Austin Carvalho, one of the boys, said they were not trying to start trouble. At least two of the boys are part Mexican.

Nick Boden, the

school's principal, declined comment. But Jay Totter, a spokesman for the district, said district officials disagreed with the decision."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/top-stories/ci_15030583
lwc Wrote:Is there more to the story about the T-Shirts? Were they too short? Or were they sent home for the fact that they portrayed the American Flag.

They was sent home because its an mexican holiday. Its stupid, Are country protects non americans more than it does its citizens.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:This is an OUTRAGE! We fought Mexico for California years ago and it looks like were gonna have to do it again!

I agree. this really ticks me off. I could see a lawsuit coming. Confusedalute::USAFlag:
Wildcatk23 Wrote:They was sent home because its an mexican holiday. Its stupid, Are country protects non americans more than it does its citizens.

"Our country" not "are country" :lmao:
After watching the video, the school admin. was in the wrong and it was obvious. The people over the district disagreed with the principal and vice principals decisions and said that they students could wear the flag shirts.

What is most telling to me: the vice principal at the school who told them to leave was hispanic.

Even more odd though, one of the boys who was wearing a flag shirt is half-Mexican. His father is Mexican and his mother is white.

I find it all a bit ridiculous. This is a Mexican holiday, not an American one, there's no need to celebrate it here in America and the only reason the holiday is pushed comes from the beer companies who advertise it as a day of drinking, much like they do St. Patrick's Day.

In fact, they were talking on the radio today about how Cinco de Mayo isn't even that big of a deal in Mexico, their independence day is sometime in September and it's a much bigger event then.
What a joke.
The joke is on here. Let me ask you, since when did SLIPKNOT become an American Flag? Slipknot is nothing more than a poor attempt at being a rock group. The boys were there to stir the pot and their ignorant parents are stirrers in reserve.

If you're going to protest, then wear a shirt with a flag. If I were to guess, I would say that these four have school rap sheets as long as your arm and combined ACT scores in the single digits....... Northern California isn't exactaly an area of common sense intelligence.
Loon Wrote:The joke is on here. Let me ask you, since when did SLIPKNOT become an American Flag? Slipknot is nothing more than a poor attempt at being a rock group. The boys were there to stir the pot and their ignorant parents are stirrers in reserve.

If you're going to protest, then wear a shirt with a flag. If I were to guess, I would say that these four have school rap sheets as long as your arm and combined ACT scores in the single digits....... Northern California isn't exactaly an area of common sense intelligence.

They were sent home because had American Flags on them. not because what they said on them.
RS69.. You missed the point. Both parties are wrong in this situation.
Loon Wrote:RS69.. You missed the point. Both parties are wrong in this situation.

how is wearing a shirt with the American Flag on it wrong.
This is AMERICA, if you or anyone else wants to celebrate a AMexican Holiday do it on your own time, not on tax payers time in public schools which are in the United States of America. That is totally wrong to send anyone home for wearing the stars and stripes in any location in the US. There seems to be a lack of gonads when it comes to stepping on peoples toes in this country anymore. If you aren't an American and you want to celebrate your country's holiday's, do it on your own time. Do you actually think it's fair for the rest of that school to celebrate a holiday that means nothing to American students? This country is going to --ll because some administrative group thinks this country should bow down to these people that can't even speak the language here. Here's one for you. If you can't speak the language, don't come into our country and expect tax payers to have to foot the bill for teachers to teach you in your language instead of ours. Some of you people better wake up or one day you'll be wondering where the good old days went.
Wildcats11 Wrote:"Our country" not "are country" :lmao:

Good Job! .....................
Loon Wrote:The joke is on here. Let me ask you, since when did SLIPKNOT become an American Flag? Slipknot is nothing more than a poor attempt at being a rock group. The boys were there to stir the pot and their ignorant parents are stirrers in reserve.

What does there recent history and act scores have to do with there rights as Americans? They still have the freedom to wear whatever they such please.
I can see that the post has gone completely over your head....

Only one of the "little pot stirrers" had an actual flag on their shirt. Two of the shirts were of a rock band ( Slipknot) and the last one looked more like a bad Leroy Neiman painting.

I don't agree with how the school handled the situation. Cinco de mayo should have celebrated in spanish class only. Not school wide. Again, you're dealing with Northern California, lacking in common sense.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:They were sent home because had American Flags on them. not because what they said on them.

It's over your head 69...... The Slipknot shirts didn't have a flag on them.....
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:They were sent home because had American Flags on them. not because what they said on them.

Wildcatk23 Wrote:What does there recent history and act scores have to do with there rights as Americans? They still have the freedom to wear whatever they such please.

Their recent and past history would show a pattern of behavior.

The ACT remark is a dig.... :rockon:
Loon Wrote:It's over your head 69...... The Slipknot shirts didn't have a flag on them.....

What Slipknot shirts are you talking about. two of them had on tap out shirts which had american flags on them. One of the other boys had an old navy shirt with american flag on it, and the other two had shirts that where made like the american flag. no one had on a Slipknot shirt. here is a picture of 4them.
kyrifle Wrote:This is AMERICA, if you or anyone else wants to celebrate a AMexican Holiday do it on your own time, not on tax payers time in public schools which are in the United States of America. That is totally wrong to send anyone home for wearing the stars and stripes in any location in the US. There seems to be a lack of gonads when it comes to stepping on peoples toes in this country anymore. If you aren't an American and you want to celebrate your country's holiday's, do it on your own time. Do you actually think it's fair for the rest of that school to celebrate a holiday that means nothing to American students? This country is going to --ll because some administrative group thinks this country should bow down to these people that can't even speak the language here. Here's one for you. If you can't speak the language, don't come into our country and expect tax payers to have to foot the bill for teachers to teach you in your language instead of ours. Some of you people better wake up or one day you'll be wondering where the good old days went.

This is by far the best and most intelligent post of the thread. I am speechless about what happened to those boys. You could have not said it better.
///////
kyrifle Wrote:This is AMERICA, if you or anyone else wants to celebrate a AMexican Holiday do it on your own time, not on tax payers time in public schools which are in the United States of America. That is totally wrong to send anyone home for wearing the stars and stripes in any location in the US. There seems to be a lack of gonads when it comes to stepping on peoples toes in this country anymore. If you aren't an American and you want to celebrate your country's holiday's, do it on your own time. Do you actually think it's fair for the rest of that school to celebrate a holiday that means nothing to American students? This country is going to --ll because some administrative group thinks this country should bow down to these people that can't even speak the language here. Here's one for you. If you can't speak the language, don't come into our country and expect tax payers to have to foot the bill for teachers to teach you in your language instead of ours. Some of you people better wake up or one day you'll be wondering where the good old days went.
:Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs:
Those boys should have been given "A's" for the day for showing support for their country.
The school administration was wrong on this one. The principal should have known better. Even IF (and that's a big if) these students were trying to make a political statement their civil rights were violated (see Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District)

The superintendent knew what the principal had done was a violation of the law and apologized for the district.