Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Spring Break
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do schools that canceled spring break get around KHSAA bylaw 22 about missing school and playing consecutive days while school is in session? A lot of teams are in Florida playing while their school is in session. Students that are not on these teams that miss school are counted with an unexcused absence and are not allowed to make up work. This seems unfair as many people had made plans to travel on spring break.
There are a couple of ways. See your coach and or/administration if you want to know. I believe you will find out that it's O.K.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:How do schools that canceled spring break get around KHSAA bylaw 22 about missing school and playing consecutive days while school is in session? A lot of teams are in Florida playing while their school is in session. Students that are not on these teams that miss school are counted with an unexcused absence and are not allowed to make up work. This seems unfair as many people had made plans to travel on spring break.
I was wondering the same thing.
I was thinking about this today. i dont think that the players would be counted unexcused, but if any one that didnt play baseball missed it would be counted as an unexcused absence. I know when ever the basketball teams make it to state they are out a couple of days that the rest of school has to go. its kinda unfair but thats the way our schools work.
'Educational Enhancement Opportunity"

They come up with a way to make the trip an 'educational experience". They fill out a form and the principal and superintendent approve it. The student is counted present and the district gets their money for the student being there.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:How do schools that canceled spring break get around KHSAA bylaw 22 about missing school and playing consecutive days while school is in session? A lot of teams are in Florida playing while their school is in session. Students that are not on these teams that miss school are counted with an unexcused absence and are not allowed to make up work. This seems unfair as many people had made plans to travel on spring break.

What teams are you implying? I only know of one team that has been to Florida this past week. As stated in an earlier post "Educational Enhancement" Days can be turned in if the children are going to be doing things that are considered educational. BUT, let me stress that this form is very detailed and MUST be filled out completely..... As to what type of curriculum will be covered, and this must be confirmed when they return back to school in the form of reports, essays, and/or pictures.
phs1986 Wrote:What teams are you implying? I only know of one team that has been to Florida this past week. As stated in an earlier post "Educational Enhancement" Days can be turned in if the children are going to be doing things that are considered educational. BUT, let me stress that this form is very detailed and MUST be filled out completely..... As to what type of curriculum will be covered, and this must be confirmed when they return back to school in the form of reports, essays, and/or pictures.

Exactly phs 1986. It is a rather simple process if everyone is on board. It is not a process that is commonplace but works nicely when you have teachers and students utilizing the computer to post assignments and recieve materials.In higher education it's called distance learning. A nice neat little bit extra is to have a CERTIFIED TEACHER along with the team to monitor,direct and supervise the academic process. You see I gather that some folks would rather suggest the negative rather than get information from their school districts.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Exactly phs 1986. It is a rather simple process if everyone is on board. It is not a process that is commonplace but works nicely when you have teachers and students utilizing the computer to post assignments and recieve materials.In higher education it's called distance learning. A nice neat little bit extra is to have a CERTIFIED TEACHER along with the team to monitor,direct and supervise the academic process. You see I gather that some folks would rather suggest the negative rather than get information from their school districts.

AMEN! I know that the team my son is on will be going next week to Florida to play at ESPN Disney's All-Star Resort... They will be playing on the same field the Braves have their spring training on. Yes, they will be playing baseball games BUT... At the same time, there will be at least 5 certified teachers as well as a retired teacher there to accompany the young men. Yes, students will be allowed to make up any work missed due to educational enhancement AND gain knowledge of NOT only baseball, but other things as well. Epcot Center, Kennedy Space Center, Central Florida Zoo, Dolphin Tours, Orlando Museum of Art, Orlando Science Center, International Trolley and Train Museum..... are just a few of the things the young men can do! I personally as a parent have paid a hefty price and to have to lose the amount of money I have paid and have my child NOT be able to take part in a trip that has been planned since last June would (to say the least) make me very unhappy! Education is learning ..... IMHO this trip and even the flight are going to be a learning experience for most that are going! Kudo's to you for supporting the "educational enhancement" of our children! I wish more could understand the benefits of having the opportunity to use it WILL gain our children!! Smile
My point was not about the STUDENT-athletes but about the the students. I am just curious to why only the teams are excused and nobody else is. What if a student had planned to visit several colleges over spring break? If that senior misses school to keep a prior commitment they are given an incomplete on their GPA. If they are a 4.0 student this could affect their final grade and cost them academic scholarship money. It seems to me that anybody who had prior plans for spring break should receive an excused absence and be allowed to make up work. And it may be that schools allow these exceptions but most folks are just not aware of it. As for the educational enhancement studying the effects of beach erosion on marine biology would be a good way to go to the beach for a week! I think it is great when young people get to travel to other places for what ever reason. My point is that schools should not penalize those students that need to be off.
Cheerleaders at Pikeville go to tournaments every year while school is in. I guess this explains it. LOL!
dawgbyte02 Wrote:My point was not about the STUDENT-athletes but about the the students. I am just curious to why only the teams are excused and nobody else is. What if a student had planned to visit several colleges over spring break? If that senior misses school to keep a prior commitment they are given an incomplete on their GPA. If they are a 4.0 student this could affect their final grade and cost them academic scholarship money. It seems to me that anybody who had prior plans for spring break should receive an excused absence and be allowed to make up work. And it may be that schools allow these exceptions but most folks are just not aware of it. As for the educational enhancement studying the effects of beach erosion on marine biology would be a good way to go to the beach for a week! I think it is great when young people get to travel to other places for what ever reason. My point is that schools should not penalize those students that need to be off.
"What if?" I understand your position, however it seems to be rather hypothetical at best. I have never known a student with a high GPA and ACT who has been compramised in the manner you suggest. Usually teachers work with those with just cause,so they are directly given an opportunity to make up work with an excused absence. This of cource is not the situation we discussed . I can only speak for one student but he did not miss a step.Two of his cources were maintained via. internet. two other cources were assigned prior to leaving. These were in addition to an enhancement process. This did not include a soil conservation study but that may have been made interesting.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:My point was not about the STUDENT-athletes but about the the students. I am just curious to why only the teams are excused and nobody else is. What if a student had planned to visit several colleges over spring break? If that senior misses school to keep a prior commitment they are given an incomplete on their GPA. If they are a 4.0 student this could affect their final grade and cost them academic scholarship money. It seems to me that anybody who had prior plans for spring break should receive an excused absence and be allowed to make up work. And it may be that schools allow these exceptions but most folks are just not aware of it. As for the educational enhancement studying the effects of beach erosion on marine biology would be a good way to go to the beach for a week! I think it is great when young people get to travel to other places for what ever reason. My point is that schools should not penalize those students that need to be off.

The student in question will have the same opportunity to use the educational enhancement form as the others. This is a standard form that ANY child in the school can use. It is NOT just for athletes!
phs1986 Wrote:The student in question will have the same opportunity to use the educational enhancement form as the others. This is a standard form that ANY child in the school can use. It is NOT just for athletes!
Thanks phs, that clarifies it.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:Thanks phs, that clarifies it.

Your very welcome!! Smile
EHO's are pretty awesome

Im pretty sure it would be excused.