Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: J.R. VanHoose joins Energy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just saw this. Looks like JR is going to coach, teach and play. Nice. Good luck to one of our BGR posters.

Quote:On the heels of Shelby Valley bringing home Pike County’s first state basketball championship, another former state champion is taking to the court in Pikeville.

J.R. VanHoose, who led Paintsville to the 1996 state championship, signed recently to continue his basketball career with the East Kentucky Energy.
“I am excited to be playing professional basketball again, and very happy that it will be in Eastern Kentucky where I began playing basketball many years ago,” said VanHoose. “It is my hope that the Energy will be a franchise that is around for a very long time and represent the different communities in Eastern Kentucky in a professional manner.”
http://www.wkyt.com/wymtsports/headlines/89306407.html

J.R. VanHoose Career Highlights

High School
• 1998 Mr. Basketball, averaged 25.5 points, 14.5 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game as a senior
• One of only three players in Kentucky high school basketball history to record more than 3,000 points and 2,000 rebounds in a career
• Named one of 50 greatest players ever to play in the Kentucky Sweet 16, joining the likes of Wes Unseld, Rex Chapman and Allan Houston
• Played in four Sweet 16s during his career at Paintsville, advancing to the final four three times, winning 1 championship and 1 runner-up trophy
• 1997 and 1998 Gatorade and USA Today Kentucky Player of the Year
• Parade Magazine All-American following his senior season
• Preseason third-team all-american in 1997-98 by Street & Smith Magazine
• Prep Stars Recruiting Handbook listed VanHoose as the No. 17 prospect in the country
• Lexington Herald Leader’s Kentucky High School Player of the Decade for the 1990s.

College
• Marshall’s fifth-leading scorer all-time and third-leading rebounder.
• Mid-American Conference All-Freshman team, runner-up for MAC Newcomer of the Year in his first year
• First freshman in school history to lead the team in points (14.7) and rebounds (8.1)
• As a freshman recorded 34 points and 17 rebounds against Buffalo, scored 30 points and grabbed 17 rebounds in a MAC conference tournament game against Kent State
• As a sophomore again led the school in rebounding and was featured in Slam magazine
• As a junior was the third-leading rebounder in the country, tied for more double-doubles in the nation with 20, first-team All Mid-American Conference
• Led Marshall in rebounding and field goal percentage four straight years and finished his career as the national leader for double-doubles since 1996 with an amazing 55
• Elected to the Marshall University Athletic Hall of Fame in 2008
I had no idea Pikeville was getting another professional basketball team.

Congrats JR!
I didn't either. I just stumbled onto this article a little bit ago.
Coach, Teach, and Play? That seems way to hard for one man to do alone.
Real Badman Wrote:Coach, Teach, and Play? That seems way to hard for one man to do alone.

It sure beats coaching, teaching, then going home to sit on the couch for 6 hours to watch TV. I might as well do something constructive with my free time huh?
Good luck J.R.
Congrats JR! I know you'll do great on that level. Youve succeeded at everything else, why not the ABA, huh? Good luck bro..
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:It sure beats coaching, teaching, then going home to sit on the couch for 6 hours to watch TV. I might as well do something constructive with my free time huh?

6 hours of tv... must be a comfortable couch lol..
crazytaxidriver Wrote:6 hours of tv... must be a comfortable couch lol..

Well, I didn't throw in time to get up and fix food or bathroom breaks. So maybe somewhere around 5 hrs. 50 minutes. Really though, it depends what is on. Sometimes I'm asleep by 10:00!!

Seriously, I am glad I just get to go and play again. Since I will be 31 when the season starts this may be the last time I get to play for pay. We'll just see how it goes and if I like it, and can manage my time well, who knows how long I will stay with the team!!!
Congrats J.R. You have my wishes for an outstanding season, well managed time, and hopefully, no bathroom problems other than your required occasional "break"... Smile OH... and if your in need of some supper, you know where you can come get something anytime you want it! BOTH of ya!! Smile
I heard Vanhoose early on that he was coming. Other players that I have heard is Jason Mcliesh, Galen Young, Daniel Price to start. Lets see what happens.
JR Vanhoose breathes, eats, and sleeps basketball, and in my opinion is one of the most underrated players from Kentucky....ever!
Best of Luck J.R.!
Congrats J.R. You were one of my favorite player while growing up
Cant wait to watch you play J.R. I really want to see this franchise keep bringing the mountain boys and maybe even ex-UK players
Grand Slam Wrote:Congrats J.R. You were one of my favorite player while growing up

Thanks, I do appreciate the comment.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Cant wait to watch you play J.R. I really want to see this franchise keep bringing the mountain boys and maybe even ex-UK players

Thanks for the support!!! I think they are going to try to bring in the best players that they can and some local players that the fans will know. I want to see this franchise be stable and last for a long time here as well. The owners know what they are doing and I think they will do a good job of brining in players the fans know and want to come out and see.
Have you heard anymore of the local or state known players? I would love to see Todd Tackett in this mix lol.