Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: "IF" you wanted to go to the Final Four?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What coach would you want??
I have to say Tom IZZO! This guy gets there or the elite 8 every year, regardless!
Great choice. He's one of the best in the business. I just hope he doesn't make it to the Final 4 this year.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Great choice. He's one of the best in the business. I just hope he doesn't make it to the Final 4 this year.

i'm with you on this on. i'm cheering for Tennessee
I would take Coach Izzo or Coach K, both seem to be able to get teams deep in the NCAA tourny every year and their teams always have a shot to win it all.
Colonel Kill Wrote:I would take Coach Izzo or Coach K, both seem to be able to get teams deep in the NCAA tourny every year and their teams always have a shot to win it all.

Coach k is a good coach but until this season they hadnt beat a seed over a 5 seed since 2002
Coach K easy for me. One of the winningest tournament coaches in the business. I almost exspect Duke to win it now... I don't think WV has what it takes. (No offense to the WV fans.) I simply think Coach K and his team will find a way to win, he is coaching with more passion they I have seen in a few years.
I would take Brad Stevens because I think that he has a lot of Final Fours ahead of him, most likely coaching somewhere besides Butler. He is obviously a great X and Os guy and an outstanding motivator. All that is missing is a deep pool of talent.
K_Mac Wrote:Coach K easy for me. One of the winningest tournament coaches in the business. I almost exspect Duke to win it now... I don't think WV has what it takes. (No offense to the WV fans.) I simply think Coach K and his team will find a way to win, he is coaching with more passion they I have seen in a few years.

Not just this year...if you were wanting ot go to the final four next season, who would you want to coach! You have to say TOM IZZO! Facts show Coach k is a great coach buhadnt beat a team higher than a 5 seed since 2002
theVILLE Wrote:Not just this year...if you were wanting ot go to the final four next season, who would you want to coach! You have to say TOM IZZO! Facts show Coach k is a great coach buhadnt beat a team higher than a 5 seed since 2002

The thread stated IF you wanted to go to the final four.....which coach would you take? In 30 years Coach K has 3 National Titles and now will be appearing in his 11th Final Four which I think is second all time. Seven of the final four trips Duke played in the national championship game. He also has NCAA record 80 NCAA tourny wins. In 15 years Coach Izzo has 1 national Title and 6 Final fours which MSU played in the national title game 2 times. Both are great coaches and have shown the ability to lead their teams deep in the NCAA's over the long haul not just here and there. There is no way you can discredit what Coach K has done at Duke, it doesn't matter what seed you beat. A team can only play teams in there path to the final four. If KState had beat Butler would that have lessened their trip to the final four because Butler is a 5 seed or what about Mich State beating a 6 seed to go. Does that mean WVU's win over 1 seed UK mean more than Duke beating a 3 seed? You have to win the games in your path to the cahmpionship game and the coach does not control that.
Izzo gets to the final 4 every 2 years on avg,the past 2 back to back, but in the last 12 yrs he has been there 6times,i would take that anytime
For a single season, I would probably go with Izzo as well. It's hard to argue with his late season success over the years.

Stevens would be my longer term pick. I am assuming that he will not be coaching at Butler for very long after this season.

Stevens has won more games in his first three seasons than any coach in NCAA history (88-14) and he has led Butler to the NCAA tournament three straight years, including to this season's Final Four - and Butler was seeded lower than they deserved, IMO.

Stevens quit a job with Eli Lilly to become a voluntary assistant at Butler, so he may be willing to turn down some good offers until he is sure that he is ready to run a bigger program (like Indiana if Crean does not turn the Hoosiers around soon).
I would have to say 3 of the 4 coaches that made it this year...Bob Huggins, Tom Izzo, and Coach K because they prepare there team better then any other coaches. I mean just watch, they know exactly what defenses to run and what to do against the other teams to beat them. Best scouters of the other team defiently.
Crazy Horse Wrote:I would have to say 3 of the 4 coaches that made it this year...Bob Huggins, Tom Izzo, and Coach K because they prepare there team better then any other coaches. I mean just watch, they know exactly what defenses to run and what to do against the other teams to beat them. Best scouters of the other team defiently.
Coach K and Izzo have great track records of reaching the Final Four. This will only be Huggins' second trip in 25 years of NCAA coaching. His teams make early exits more often than not. I will be pulling for WVU but if coaching decides the game, Duke will win, IMO.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Coach K and Izzo have great track records of reaching the Final Four. This will only be Huggins' second trip in 25 years of NCAA coaching. His teams make early exits more often than not. I will be pulling for WVU but if coaching decides the game, Duke will win, IMO.

I think in the future it will be brad stevens too! But coach cal and the dukies have not beat a team higher than a 5 seed since 2002! Did u notice that...However i agree he is a great tourney coach and has the most tourney wins than any other coach! they have struggled the last few years at advancing far in the tourney
theVILLE Wrote:I think in the future it will be brad stevens too! But coach cal and the dukies have not beat a team higher than a 5 seed since 2002! Did u notice that...However i agree he is a great tourney coach and has the most tourney wins than any other coach! they have struggled the last few years at advancing far in the tourney
...and I love it when Duke struggles. :biggrin: I think some of Coach K's recent tournament troubles are related to the timing of his players who jumped early to the NBA. It is tough to build consistently good team chemistry when you have a high turnover rate.
Colonel Kill Wrote:The thread stated IF you wanted to go to the final four.....which coach would you take? In 30 years Coach K has 3 National Titles and now will be appearing in his 11th Final Four which I think is second all time. Seven of the final four trips Duke played in the national championship game. He also has NCAA record 80 NCAA tourny wins. In 15 years Coach Izzo has 1 national Title and 6 Final fours which MSU played in the national title game 2 times. Both are great coaches and have shown the ability to lead their teams deep in the NCAA's over the long haul not just here and there. There is no way you can discredit what Coach K has done at Duke, it doesn't matter what seed you beat. A team can only play teams in there path to the final four. If KState had beat Butler would that have lessened their trip to the final four because Butler is a 5 seed or what about Mich State beating a 6 seed to go. Does that mean WVU's win over 1 seed UK mean more than Duke beating a 3 seed? You have to win the games in your path to the cahmpionship game and the coach does not control that.

Thank you very much colonel. This is why I take coach K. Enough said Ville.
Colonel Kill Wrote:The thread stated IF you wanted to go to the final four.....which coach would you take? In 30 years Coach K has 3 National Titles and now will be appearing in his 11th Final Four which I think is second all time. Seven of the final four trips Duke played in the national championship game. He also has NCAA record 80 NCAA tourny wins. In 15 years Coach Izzo has 1 national Title and 6 Final fours which MSU played in the national title game 2 times. Both are great coaches and have shown the ability to lead their teams deep in the NCAA's over the long haul not just here and there. There is no way you can discredit what Coach K has done at Duke, it doesn't matter what seed you beat. A team can only play teams in there path to the final four. If KState had beat Butler would that have lessened their trip to the final four because Butler is a 5 seed or what about Mich State beating a 6 seed to go. Does that mean WVU's win over 1 seed UK mean more than Duke beating a 3 seed? You have to win the games in your path to the cahmpionship game and the coach does not control that.

I agree coach K is they or one of the best coach in history..I was just saying that recently he has had no sucess!
Izzo without a doubt. He is the best coach in the nation. His teams play hard physical ball that is hard to beat in March.
Strikeout King Wrote:i'm with you on this on. i'm cheering for Tennessee

How can you even think about ever rooting for TN? Go to this link and start on that page(9) and go back 2-3 pages and tell me if they would root for your team. I've got less respect for any Kentuckian rooting for TN, than I do for Easy Kentuckians rooting for UofL.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1398&p=9
Pfft....easy one here...Wimp Sanderson, and those wonderful plaid jackets. Big Grin
theVILLE Wrote:I agree coach K is they or one of the best coach in history..I was just saying that recently he has had no sucess!

Woundering if you still think Coach K has had no recent success.
Colonel Kill Wrote:Woundering if you still think Coach K has had no recent success.

yeah now he has...He hasnt had the sucess of getting to the final four that tom izzo has had....I wasnt saying coach k wasnt a great coach he just struggle on getting to the final four in past years....Until this year they hadnt beat a team higher than a 5 seed since 2002
I have to go with Izzo. It is almost a must. I think when a school outside of the UCLA years, goes to 6 final fours in 12 years that is an amazing feat that is hard to duplicate. Close behind has to be Coach K, as much as I hate to say it, he is an amazing coach throughout the years.