Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Player and Coach of the year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who got player and coach of the year in the 13th, 14th, and 15th region?
I do not know who got any of the awards, but I do not know how the Coach of the Year for the 15th region could not go to Rick Mounts of Belfry. He took a 6-21 team that did not make the regions and turned them into a 23-8 team that won the district and region and made a really good showing in the Sweet 16. No matter the outcome, Rick is Belfry's Coach of the Year. Congrats Coach Mounts on a GREAT YEAR!!!!
Would have to say Coach Moore again in the 14th, unless Coach Adams took over this year. If I had a vote, I would have to say Coach Amburgey from Knott County deserves it though. They were not supposed to win like the other schools were, done a great job.
Brittany Sexton from Letcher County Central player of the year 14th region..
bballfanlcc Wrote:Brittany Sexton from Letcher County Central player of the year 14th region..

Is this your opinion or did she get it?
!4th Coach - Paul Green ( I think Coach Amburgey should have won) Brittany Sexton POY
Try this link for statewide info from the KABC site.

http://kentuckybasketballcoaches.org/ind...Itemid=110
From the link posted above:

I usually do not complain about votes like this whenever a great player/coach is selected, but this time I have to.

I think Don Story is a great man and a great coach. His Lincoln County Patriots were a quality basketball team and he carried himself with dignity.

With that said, however, he lost the Regional Championship with home-court advantage and a VERY experienced and talented team. (I believe that 3 or 4 players on that team are either being scouted or have scholarship offers) They also had coach Story to play for, this was his last year as a coach, win or lose.

I realize that Rockcastle is a talented team but everything about that tournament SCREAMED for the Patriots to be playing in Diddle, but they did not. Christy Noble lead the Rockets through one of the hardest regions in the State (most years, and I could argue this season as well) onto Diddle and took them to the Final Four (and almost to the State Championship game). How could she not get 12th Region coach of the year?

*I hope my homer-ness isn't kicking in, but I believe the committee that selected this was wrong*
lwc Wrote:From the link posted above:

I usually do not complain about votes like this whenever a great player/coach is selected, but this time I have to.

I think Don Story is a great man and a great coach. His Lincoln County Patriots were a quality basketball team and he carried himself with dignity.

With that said, however, he lost the Regional Championship with home-court advantage and a VERY experienced and talented team. (I believe that 3 or 4 players on that team are either being scouted or have scholarship offers) They also had coach Story to play for, this was his last year as a coach, win or lose.

I realize that Rockcastle is a talented team but everything about that tournament SCREAMED for the Patriots to be playing in Diddle, but they did not. Christy Noble lead the Rockets through one of the hardest regions in the State (most years, and I could argue this season as well) onto Diddle and took them to the Final Four (and almost to the State Championship game). How could she not get 12th Region coach of the year?

*I hope my homer-ness isn't kicking in, but I believe the committee that selected this was wrong*

Christy is a wonderful person and coach. Glad to see her get her first state win. Just to clarify the voting process...coaches (KABC members) vote on who each award goes to.
Rick Mounts
Are the coaches voted on by who had the best team or by who achieved the most from what they had to work with? In the 12h region, both Rockcastle and Lincoln had the players to win with, what about the coaches who won with a lot less talent?
15th Player of the Year should be Carla Booth.
LCDAWGS19 Wrote:15th Player of the Year should be Carla Booth.

The Player of the year award only goes to a Senior. Ms. Booth is only a Junior. She should be the favorite to win it next season.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:The Player of the year award only goes to a Senior. Ms. Booth is only a Junior. She should be the favorite to win it next season.

Figured all that out after I looked some more. My bad.

I agree. but it gives the lady rockets a little something more to work for next season.
15th region player of the year should have been Holly Harris 22 ppg and # 1 free throw shooter in the state, idont mean no disrespect to Megan Hamilton but look at the numbers.
Holly Harris player and Gary Fields coach cant deny what he done in region tournament.
rallo316 Wrote:Holly Harris player and Gary Fields coach cant deny what he done in region tournament.

This was voted on before the regional tournament.
These things usually turn into popularity contests. Some winners of COY had losing records.
Don't know how Coach Mounts didn't get it.............
Can someone please explain how Coach Mounts never got this award after what he accomplished with the Lady Pirates this season.Just want you to know Rick we appreciate what you did this year here in Belfry.
Birdlegs Wrote:Can someone please explain how Coach Mounts never got this award after what he accomplished with the Lady Pirates this season.Just want you to know Rick we appreciate what you did this year here in Belfry.

Guys I do not know what you are talking about. Rick Mounts was the KABC 15th Region Coach of the year. This is the award recognized by the KHSAA and is given out at the Sweet Sixteen.
Rick Mounts did a outstanding job in the 15th he is a easy chose I think he done a great job Carla Booth POY how she led her team all year
TopDog Wrote:Rick Mounts did a outstanding job in the 15th he is a easy chose I think he done a great job Carla Booth POY how she led her team all year

It only goes to seniors Booth is a Junior.
Player of the Year awards don't only go to seniors. Girl from Clay Co. won POY in the 13th region and she is a jr.

I'm ok with coach Story getting Coach of the Year. What I'm not ok with is how did Jessica Upchurch get player of the year? Now I am not knocking the player I just want to know how this can be justified when you have players like Kayla Bolin, Danay Fothergill, Sara Hammond the list goes on and on..
KyBoy24 Wrote:Player of the Year awards don't only go to seniors. Girl from Clay Co. won POY in the 13th region and she is a jr.

Need to do your homework a little better youngblood. The KABC player of the year in the 13th region was Jessica Dean of South Laurel. This thread was started before WYMT gave out their awards. They have a whole different criteria. Ms. Dean received her award at the state tournament. Seniors only.