Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (1) Kentucky vs. (2) West Virginia (NCAA - Elite Eight)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First and foremost I expect UK to struggle shooting the ball from outside for a second straight game. It seems like this team really struggles with gym's with either high ceilings or unusual seating arrangements behind the backboards.

West Virginia is very deserving of where they are. They are an ELITE defensive team, they play excellent team ball, they have one of the country's most underrated players in Butler, and they dominate the glass. I enjoy watching WVU play as you never will get anything flashy, you just get a tough, gritty performance..and if it is a close game Butler is one of te most clutch players in the country. WVU reminds me of a cross between Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, but they are a much better defensive team than either of those. The pace West Virginia plays at favors them in the matchup as they are naturally a very deliberate team. I think on the whole this is the best team UK will have faced, although I think Tennessee is the most dangerous team they have played in terms of a one game setting. I think WVU will be able to limit UK's frontcourt due to their physical style and strong athleticism. WVU will limit UK on the offensive baords, something UK has killed team with.

The difference in this game comes in 3 aspects where UK has a MAJOR advantage.

1. Between Bledsoe and Wall at PG you can basically count 25 points, 10 assists, 8 rebounds, and a few steals. Mazzula is a tough ball player and he is definitely giving all that he can, but Mazzula and whoever WVU uses as a backup will not be able to come close to this production. I see the PG spot alone creating a 12-15 point deficiency off the bat, let alone another 8-10 points from creating baskets with penetration or off turnovers. If truck was playing it would help to alleviate some of this.

Naturally WVU will look to make this difference up from the other 4 positions, but with the exception of Butler I am not sure they will be able to have a + margin at any other position.

Additionally, without Mazulla being a bonafide 3 point option it will allow UK to sag off of him and make rotations to help the post or guard perimeter scorers like Butler more possible.

2. WVU's athletic ability will be able to limit Cousins, but there is no way they will be able to stop him. The ONLY big man in the BEAST who compares offensively to Cousins is Greg Monroe. WVU did a good job on him, but Georgetown didn't have a post player equal to Patterson that they had to worry about. Cousins is bigger, stronger, and more explosive than any WVU player and it will require a double team to keep him in check. WVU's defense moves well, but this need to double out of the zone will open lanes for diagonal cuts by UK's guards.

3. WVU is not a very efficient offensive team. They go through long stretches of struggling to score in the half court, but they are able to subsidize these droughts with their athletic ability and their ability to create transition. UK's elite speed and shot blocking will negate some of these chances, and at the same time make WVU's half court offense work even harder. If UK committed 15 turnovers it would effect them far less than if WVU committed 15 turnovers.

If WVU turns the ball over like last night you can mark my words that no matter how man turnovers UK has they will blow them off the court. I don't expect WVU to do this though, I expect Huggins to slow them down for fear of UK's transitional offense. I see this being a physical struggle and if the officials from last night are any indication they will let the guys play.

All in all I think his is a close game throughout but UK continually hovers around a 4-6 point lead and then take care of business on defense in the clutch.

UK by 5-10 depending on Free Throw shooting.
D1Recruiter Wrote:Isn't that what getting the #1 and #2 seeds in the tourney is all about? :Thumbs: I mean, you supposed to play the lower seeds untll you get now, then the 1 and 2 supposed to play or that is how it is laid out anyways. This just happens to be the only bracket where it worked out that way. GO CATS :Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead

I know they're supposed to play lower seeded teams up to the final, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know that... but #10 beat #7; #12 beat #5 and #4; #11 beat #6 and #3. If you by the higher seeds are supposed to win, then WVU would have played New Mexico last night and UK would have played Wisconsin. Thus, my comment about the seedings.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Would you say that had all those last second attempts missed?
And also I think UK will be the best defensive team WVU has faced all year. When UK clamps down, like they can, where are WVU's points going to come from?

It don't matter, they made 'em.
And I don't think it's going to be a high scoring game. Both teams are good defensively. UK will have to shoot a better percentage from deep to win imo. 2/16 won't beat many good teams.
UK's Guard Play will dominate this game. Cats should win by Double Digits again.
WV forward hurt his hand in the game the other night, I hope its still killing him!
Guys, don't sell WVU short. WVU has a history of winning games they are not supposed to win. Two prime examples are the 06 Sugar Bowl win over Georgia and the 08 Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Guys, don't sell WVU short. WVU has a history of winning games they are not supposed to win. Two prime examples are the 06 Sugar Bowl win over Georgia and the 08 Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma.

Your watching the wrong sport bub Smile.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Guys, don't sell WVU short. WVU has a history of winning games they are not supposed to win. Two prime examples are the 06 Sugar Bowl win over Georgia and the 08 Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma.

That's what I'm thinking. WVU is the best team UK has played all year.

:thatsfunn

I know this is new to Mountie fans, thus you are excused.

FWIW, for every football agme you mentioned above I will see it and raise you:
2007 vs. Pittsburgh
1994 Sugar Bowl vs. Florida
1989 Fiesta Bowl vs. Notre Dame
Stardust Wrote:UK's Guard Play will dominate this game. Cats should win by Double Digits again.
:Thumbs: If UK hits a reasonable percentage of its free throws and avoids having any key players tossed, UK will win easily. Cousins should be prepared for Thuggin's team to attempt to provoke him into doing something stupid.

This is a great opportunity for Patterson to shine against another highly touted big man, Da'Shean Butler, and I think Patterson will be more than ready for the challenge.
RavenBoy Wrote:WV forward hurt his hand in the game the other night, I hope its still killing him!

why would you say such a thing?i want the cats to beat them with there best team on the court,tough i know truck wont play, and what if the shoe was on the other foot,would you get mad if someone said that about some star from KY? GO CATS
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Your watching the wrong sport bub Smile.

OK, then how about the double OT win over Wake Forest for WVU to advance to the Sweet Sixteen in 05???

or

The improbable win over Dookie V in 08 for us to advance to the Sweet Sixteen???
Sorry 'eer fans, but this Kentucky team is set out to do one thing this year and that's win a National Championship. I know, you're saying.."What team doesn't?" True, but this UK team has turned it up another notch. WVU will be a tough challenge, but if WVU starts coughing up the ball...this thing will get ugly quick. In the end, UK's size inside and speed in transition will be too much for WVU to handle.
UK pulls away in the second half by 15+ and completes half the field that will make up the 2010 Final Four!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I know this is new to Mountie fans, thus you are excused.

FWIW, for every football agme you mentioned above I will see it and raise you:
2007 vs. Pittsburgh
1994 Sugar Bowl vs. Florida
1989 Fiesta Bowl vs. Notre Dame

The memory of that disaster will haunt me until I die.

The closest WVU has ever been to an actual National Championship since the 59 loss to Cal. If Major had not went down three plays into the game, it may have been a different outcome.
almost game time
Pages: 1 2