Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who Has More Transfers . . . (And READ THIS Before you Get MAD)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There seems to be a constant theme that the private schools are cheating (one way or the other).

But--it seems like there are numerous kids from the Mountains each year that transfer to different schools. There have also been numerous high profile cases in the past few years where kids from the Mountains have been prohibited from playing because they did not follow the transfer rules.

On the other hand, there are very few cases where this happens in other part of the state (The Mitchell case from last year is the big exception).

So, it could appear that there is a little more "questionable" transferring in the Mountains as opposed to the rest of the state.

For instance--Joe Roskopf has a great year at Lynn Camp--now all of the sudden he is going to Corbin? What is up with that?

So--who has more transfer issues--the mountains or the rest of the state?
Somerset Independant High School
Joe Roskopf is not going to Corbin.
Wow. I can't believe that there isn't any conversation about this one.

It is good to hear that Roskopf isn't going to Corbin--but I will say that I have heard this more than once.

It also seems like "mountain" fans almost expect there to be movement from kids every year.

I can't believe that this one has been avoided like the plague.
I know at Ashland we rarely get a transfer in. The only ones I have ever known of are people from more 100 miles away because their family has moved. The only exception to that is Mahan who moved from Greenup County to Ashland.

Ashland has more of a problem with younger players transferring out, particularly to Fairview. Many of the young players don't want to wait their turn to play at Ashland so they transfer to 1A Fairview where as Sophmores they become instant starters and "studs."
Very interesting Tomcat. I know that Fairview is getting better--but I still would not leave Ashland for Fairview.

I just look at this year. There was a lot of talk about Fairview in the playoffs--and their coach went on the radio and said that they were going to see Lexington Christian again in a few weeks. Well--he seemed to forget about the fact that he had to play us in the first round. I don't think it was ever close (and we were not that great this year). I am not sure why kids would want to be part of consistent 1st round playoff loses. Ashland has a much brighter future/history.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:Very interesting Tomcat. I know that Fairview is getting better--but I still would not leave Ashland for Fairview.

I just look at this year. There was a lot of talk about Fairview in the playoffs--and their coach went on the radio and said that they were going to see Lexington Christian again in a few weeks. Well--he seemed to forget about the fact that he had to play us in the first round. I don't think it was ever close (and we were not that great this year). I am not sure why kids would want to be part of consistent 1st round playoff loses. Ashland has a much brighter future/history.

Some kids are just too greedy. They don't want to wait and earn their turn at a quality program. They don't want to put in the time, work, and effort that is required at Ashland. I'm not saying we have the hardest or roughest practices, weight lifting, or off-season. But it does require quite a large committment.

Ashland has taken some steps to prevent the problem by scheduling an easy opponent for the first week or the season, dressing the Freshmen, and allowing all of them to play atleast one snap to enforce the transfer rule.