Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Taylor Newsome FINALS/SEMIFINALS PERFORMANCE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wandering what any other valley fans thought about his performance. Taylor has always been a solid player, but he really stepped it up during finals/semifinals. You could really tell he wanted that state title. Does anyone happen to know what percentage he was shooting?
Congradulation to all of the shelby valley wildcats!! We are so glad to have the trophy back at the Valley! EJ, Taylor, Ashley, and Varney all played amazing during the tournament. Congrats to all the other players as well, it wouldn't be possible without them, but to me there 4, as well as Ramey, were the most determined to win.
I just wonder when KY will see another bball team this good. Not for a while I dont think. I know everyone doesn't agree with that, but this is an amazing ball team and rarely do such athletes end up on the same team playing as well as these boys!

Elisha Justice for Mr. Basketball!!
I am going to make this an Elisha Justice/Josh Sewell post because it relates to this.... because it discussed the contibutions of kids like Newsome as a result.

After attending the entire tournament this year and having seen Shelby Valley in 6 other games on tape this year at different points, I will make a few statements on both teams and players for both that I think would be legit points to make.

-Trinity is a better defensive team, much better defensively than Shelby Valley.

-Shelby Valley is a deeper offensive team on a consistent basis, thus probably a better offensive team in my mind. Trinity really only had two consistent offensive threats. Epley and Sewell were going to to score points all the time, other than that you never knew who was going to score. Trinity is better at running their stuff than Shelby Valley, but the Wildcats had much better scorers/shooters in mass than Trinity had.

-Sewell is better than Justice as an individual in my mind because Sewell didn't have as much of a supporting cast on the offensive end as Justice did. Others abilities to score opened up alot for Justice in the games I have seen, that wasn't the case with Trinity as teams only had to guard 3 of Trinity's 5 kids on the floor beyond 15 feet among starters. Sewell, as I am sure Justice did at times too, was double-triple-throw the kitchen sink at- guarded.
Hate to argue with you, but I have to disagree. Sewell is a great player, don't get me wrong, but he is not as well of an all-around player as elisha. If anyone could compare season stats of the two I think there would be an ample difference. And, please don't turn this into a sewell/justice post. Justice is an amazing player with great quicks and incredible athleticism and insight into the game. SV's defense is much tougher, with the exception to thier inside defense. Valley is known for it's tough full-court defense that produces alot of turnovers.
Justice will win Mr. Basketball and he has proved himself. Sewell and his team didn't even make it to state. Elisha LED his team to state. He is always contributing to the team and forcing the open look for his teammates. But I did not post to discuss that, so please start another form if you would like to.
I too thought Taylor played an outstanding tournament. There were points during the tournament where SV was struggling to score where Taylor would get a putback or make a shot that allowed Valley to keep the momentum. He also knocked down some key FT's late against Ballard. FT's have haunted this team in the past, but they really stepped up in the Sweet 16. Taylor is the all time rebounds leader at SV and has to be in or near the top 10 in scoring. He has cemented himself as one of the great ones in Shelby Valley/Dorton/Virgie history...
Stats are alot closer than you think, but probably not easy to compare either looking at level of competition, playing different teams, minutes played, etc. (Sewell only played 25 mins. per game and played a few games where he only played 12-15 minutes in blowouts over the few lower ranked teams Trinity played).

Sewell 19.2 points (31% of teams points), 49.2% shooting, 73.2% free throws (+30 attempts than Justice)

Justice (entering state) 19.6 points (or 25% of teams points), 54.3% shooting, 80.4% free throws

What is important is that both kids have a great opportunity ahead of them to get a college education that has been awarded them as a result of their success in classroom and on the court.

Back to the topic at hand, Justice's supporting cast was impressive. Some great offensive weapons, especially Newsome. When you have three kids other than Justice that are making at least one three a game on average out on the court, you should have some success. The supporting cast was what allowed them to be so successful this week in the tournament I think.

Justice has a quick enough first step that he can get off some great passes to some outstanding shooters. Justice doesn't have the speed to get to the basket as easily as others, but has that first step that allows him to put some other people in great positions to score, that is what impressed me the most about Justice this week.
TrinitySID Wrote:Stats are alot closer than you think, but probably not easy to compare either looking at level of competition, playing different teams, minutes played, etc. (Sewell only played 25 mins. per game and played a few games where he only played 12-15 minutes in blowouts over the few lower ranked teams Trinity played).

Sewell 19.2 points (31% of teams points), 49.2% shooting, 73.2% free throws (+30 attempts than Justice)

Justice (entering state) 19.6 points (or 25% of teams points), 54.3% shooting, 80.4% free throws

What is important is that both kids have a great opportunity ahead of them to get a college education that has been awarded them as a result of their success in classroom and on the court.

Back to the topic at hand, Justice's supporting cast was impressive. Some great offensive weapons, especially Newsome. When you have three kids other than Justice that are making at least one three a game on average out on the court, you should have some success. The supporting cast was what allowed them to be so successful this week in the tournament I think.

Justice has a quick enough first step that he can get off some great passes to some outstanding shooters. Justice doesn't have the speed to get to the basket as easily as others, but has that first step that allows him to put some other people in great positions to score, that is what impressed me the most about Justice this week.

I understand what your saying, but I dont see sewell as being the kind of standout player as Elisha, in any way. This is not Sewell/Justice post, please take that arguement elsewhere.....

Anyways, you are right about Taylor, he really played when it was key. One player who particularly disappointed me was Tyler. He is usually a strong presence on the offense, not so much on D. But I didn't see alot out of him, except alot of turnovers late in the 3rd against Ballard. Not to bash him, he is a very solid player at times and all of the boys earned this trophy, but he wasn't his usual self this tournament.
I think it goes without saying Elisha blew the socks off of all the competetion, especially against mason county. He was all over the 3 point jumpers. He was somewhat shut down in the finals, as he was always double-teamed, but still managed to pull off 17 point I believe.

Congrats to all the boys tho, Im so glad they brought it home for us!
mountainguy Wrote:I understand what your saying, but I dont see sewell as being the kind of standout player as Elisha, in any way. This is not Sewell/Justice post, please take that arguement elsewhere.....

Anyways, you are right about Taylor, he really played when it was key. One player who particularly disappointed me was Tyler. He is usually a strong presence on the offense, not so much on D. But I didn't see alot out of him, except alot of turnovers late in the 3rd against Ballard. Not to bash him, he is a very solid player at times and all of the boys earned this trophy, but he wasn't his usual self this tournament.
I think it goes without saying Elisha blew the socks off of all the competetion, especially against mason county. He was all over the 3 point jumpers. He was somewhat shut down in the finals, as he was always double-teamed, but still managed to pull off 17 point I believe.

One bad turnover that led to a 3pt play, but that was it. Other than the first game, his shot wasn't falling, you are right. But he grabbed a lot of rebounds and had some great assists, luckily SV didn't need his scoring to win the championship! Seasons over with the highest achievement, no need to talk about any disappointments, they played for the win and got it.

BUT regarding the original post, Taylor was the key to winning this thing!

Everytime Valley got down or hit a draught, he was there to stop the bleeding, whether it was a huge rebound, or more often than not, a huge bucket. It was amazing. Elisha made the team run and was the reason they were able to be so strong and deadly on offense, but when the sputters hit, Taylor was the mechanic to right the ship instantly almost.

The way I saw it, SV was at their best when two players created (Elisha, Taylor) and the rest let the game come to them instead of trying to force any action. They basically played the perfect tournament, not much else could have been done, everyone played to their strength and it was successful (other than occassional shots not falling).
Bacon was a beast!!!!!
True, True. Not rly disappointment, I am extremely happy with this crew, and no doubt ALL of them have put in unprecidented amounts of time and effort into this victory. I was only saying, Tyler is usually much more of a presence on offense, and I wouldv'e really liked to see him do alot more. You know alot of scouts are at the sweet 16.
In any instance, Tyler had a nice season overall, and bacon was not about to see thier state champ trophy at another school! EJ and bacon were very clutch players in this tourney. Bacon even shot 10 for 13 in the first game, absolutely amazing!
mountainguy Wrote:Hate to argue with you, but I have to disagree. Sewell is a great player, don't get me wrong, but he is not as well of an all-around player as elisha. If anyone could compare season stats of the two I think there would be an ample difference. And, please don't turn this into a sewell/justice post. Justice is an amazing player with great quicks and incredible athleticism and insight into the game. SV's defense is much tougher, with the exception to thier inside defense. Valley is known for it's tough full-court defense that produces alot of turnovers.
Justice will win Mr. Basketball and he has proved himself. Sewell and his team didn't even make it to state. Elisha LED his team to state. He is always contributing to the team and forcing the open look for his teammates. But I did not post to discuss that, so please start another form if you would like to.

And again... Trinity lost to Ballard... End of discussion!
Now as for the play of our "Bacon" Taylor Newsome, he is one of the finest people to come through Shelby Valley and has always played a key part for this team, especially this year. I have talked to him and seen him in church and I really can not say enough about how proud it makes me feel when he stood up at the line and knocked those free throws down, time and time again. His performance in the West Jess game saved Valley's chances of getting to the final. Without him contributing those short jump hooks, the lead for West Jess would have been bigger than 7..... Who knows after that!! Valley all of you guys have made not just the fans in Shelby Valley proud but all of Eastern Ky. Bacon you are one amazing ballplayer but more importantly, an amazing person.
jrfan Wrote:And again... Trinity lost to Ballard... End of discussion!

They played three times. All three were exactly what you would expect of the #1 vs. #2 team in the state at time of game being played.

Ballard won 56-53 on Dec. 15, 2010 (at Trinity)-- Sewell with 27 pts, 12 reb.
Trinity won 69-63 on Jan. 15, 2010 (neutral)-- Sewell wtih 23 pts on 11-12 shooting and 10 rebounds
Ballard won 72-65 on Feb. 26, 2010 (at Ballard in District Final)-- Sewell with 26 pts
Taylor Newsome played outstanding along with Hatfield.

Me and Dorton5 had the discussion in the PT/SV prediction thread about how everyone stood around and watched Elisha do everything last season in the Sweet 16. Both of us said that others were going to have to be aggressive and contribute and that's exactly what they did the entire tournament winning each game by double-digits.
TrinitySID Wrote:They played three times. All three were exactly what you would expect of the #1 vs. #2 team in the state at time of game being played.

Ballard won 56-53 on Dec. 15, 2010 (at Trinity)-- Sewell with 27 pts, 12 reb.
Trinity won 69-63 on Jan. 15, 2010 (neutral)-- Sewell wtih 23 pts on 11-12 shooting and 10 rebounds
Ballard won 72-65 on Feb. 26, 2010 (at Ballard in District Final)-- Sewell with 26 pts

Even better.. They lost twice to Ballard!!!!! Even lost at home to them... SV vs Ballard 1-0 12 pt victory!!!! Justice 17 pts KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP and SWEET 16 MVP!!!! Just saying Sewell and the states #1 Trinity ball club had the same chance to beat Ballard and they lost... Not once but twice!!!
Taylor Newsome does more with his size than anyone I know of in EKY basketball. He is about 6ft2 or 3 and 210, in that neighborhood but rebounds as if he is 6ft7-8. He plays great defense for his size, again, and has improved his shooting and in a clutch situation can shoot free throws with anyone. I thought with the loss of Curby and Devan from graduation would really hurt the team but Taylor, Ashley, and Tyler, even Varney rebounds well for his size and ther is always 'BULLET' to rely on. Congrats Taylor, good luck in college, I think it is possible the entire starting 5 may play some college ball somewhere!
dortonite Wrote:Taylor Newsome does more with his size than anyone I know of in EKY basketball. He is about 6ft2 or 3 and 210, in that neighborhood but rebounds as if he is 6ft7-8. He plays great defense for his size, again, and has improved his shooting and in a clutch situation can shoot free throws with anyone. I thought with the loss of Curby and Devan from graduation would really hurt the team but Taylor, Ashley, and Tyler, even Varney rebounds well for his size and ther is always 'BULLET' to rely on. Congrats Taylor, good luck in college, I think it is possible the entire starting 5 may play some college ball somewhere!

Taylor may not be very big, but his strength makes the biggest difference. I've been told by a number of players that its like trying to move a house and the ball just seems to bounce his way. Also, Taylor led the team in rebounding last season over Adams, Tackett, etc.
mountainguy Wrote:I understand what your saying, but I dont see sewell as being the kind of standout player as Elisha, in any way. This is not Sewell/Justice post, please take that arguement elsewhere.....

To ammend this post. I want to apologize. ALL of these boys earned this and wanted this trophy and they will all go down in history as the best team to walk the halls of Shelby Valley!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Taylor may not be very big, but his strength makes the biggest difference. I've been told by a number of players that its like trying to move a house and the ball just seems to bounce his way. Also, Taylor led the team in rebounding last season over Adams, Tackett, etc.

Moreso than his strength, I would say its his EFFORT -- which is precisely what makes him such an admirable player, such a warrior out there

gotta love it
Can anyone tell me where the game video is for Shelby Valley-Ballard, including the player introductions with the lights out. Also looking for the I High pictures. Thanks in advance?
bacon sure done his part
mrsportsfan Wrote:Can anyone tell me where the game video is for Shelby Valley-Ballard, including the player introductions with the lights out. Also looking for the I High pictures. Thanks in advance?

Go to ihigh.com. on the search bar type Shelby Valley, and at the bottom of the page should be the video for the game. All of it, there is a 5-10 minute lull at the beginning with continual music and graphics but after that the announcers do the pre game report. You can also browse the billions of pictures, lol . I think that it is awesome to have a site like that for high schools.
Tell me if it doesnt work,