Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Middle School Basketball Team Camp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last summer we had a very successful summer camp for middle school teams from East Kentucky (Pike, Floyd, and Perry Counties). We played round robin format with a single elimination tournament on the last night. We plan on having the same type camp this summer and would like to see more teams from Letcher, Knott, and Johnson participate. If anyone is interested it will be for next season's 7th, and 8th graders with divisions for each. Last summer we only had a few younger teams play. I also wish some of you coaches would get involved with the planning and let us know what you think based on last year's camp or other camps you have attended. Last season we followed the High School's team camp at Pikeville College. This year we would like to play the week before (June 14-18). Last year camp tution was $35.00 however this season we think $40.00 will be the fee. If you are a middle school coach and want to participate or make suggestions you can pm either myself or coach Davis from Dorton.
hi hi van . the same as last year . :rockon: :moon::moon:
Good for kids to get extra time on the court.
Update concerning who has replied that they will play are: E.C, Dorton, Hazard, and Mullins we are only taking ten A/ten B teams.

Thanks,

Coach Swindall
Elkhorn City Basketball
Did you contact Ozz Jackson to see if any of the Middle school would want to participate?
Feds Creek is interested.
Update: Teams holding spots as of today are EC, Dorton, Mullins, Hazard, Millard, Feds Creek, South Floyd. Three spots remain.
When is Pikeville Colleges team camp?
I think Pikeville's camp is two days (June 19th & 20th) and cost $150 per team. I am not sure how many games or if they play a tournament. Maybe contact John Beiry.
Today we had conformation of Willard Elementary from Perry County. That leaves Two spots.
Update Thursday 4-1-10: Pikeville, Hazard, Mullins, Dorton, EC, South Floyd, Willard, Feds Creek, and Millard.
Update on camp: Today Willard Elementary dropped out and Belfry has replaced them.
I will be sending each school information packets soon and scheduling will begin as soon as we get one more team.
The East Kentucky Jr. High Basketball Camp teams are: Dorton, Elkhorn City, Feds Creek, Belfry, Pikeville, Hazard, South Floyd, Millard, Mullins, and Letcher. If anyone drops out we will be happy to replace a team but as of now we are set. I would like to congratulate each team that is represented and you will learn more about your next season's team than you ever imagined. It will be an exciting week of basketball, each game will have MVP's from both teams voted on by the players of the opposing team. The player with the most game awards will be named camp MVP (In the event of a tie coaches other than the player's coach will cast the final vote). There will be a 3-pt. shoot-out during the camp tournament where anyone can enter for $5. "Camp Champs" will receive T-shirts and a Camp Team Champion's Trophy. I look forward to hearing from everybody in the upcoming weeks and will be sending brochures with instructions for your team.
Thank you
Coach Swindall
Now that it is set who do you think wins it?
That is the beauty of Jr.high basketball you never know who will improve from AAU or shuffling around of players. I would probably lean toward Feds Creek or Hazard considering they won their county championship and return really good players from last season. I think if you look at this camp from top to bottom you will have to bring your "A" game each and very session. The tournament will be very exciting. Last year Hazard won and only lost one game during regular camp sessions. I believe no single team will dominate competition in the 8th grade however, I really think that Pikeville will be the favorite in the 7th grade division. Dorton returns some really good players and with Coach Davis at the helm they could be very good. Elkhorn should have a solid team returning a very talented 7th grade class that won their division at camp last year and finished runner-up to JC in the County Championship. I would have liked for Virgie and Betsy Layne to have played but I understand why. This is only my view maybe coach Davis, Kidd, Justice, and others can comment further about what they think. Good luck to all teams!
Is Cameron playing for Feds Creek and East Ridge next year?
Coaches, I am sending out camp brochures, rules, rosters, and disclaimers today. If anyone does not get them please pm me asap.
Thanks.
Coaches, I assume everyone has the paperwork, so if you would e-mail me back your roster as soon as you can so I can order the t-shirts. You should be able to save it as a word document and type it and attach right to your reply e-mail. I am trying to organize games also, as you could imagine it is hard to schedule this many teams to satisfy everybody. I would appreciate some feedback and suggestions concerning your teams and needs concerning the schedule. If I don't here from you I will assume you are good to go on June 14.
We were informed a couple of days ago that South Floyd will not be participating, so anyone who is interested in taking their place let me know asap. I am waiting to here from Jenkins and Whitesburg to see who will fill the slot. However, I will take whichever or whoever calls first. I am looking forward to a great week of middle school basketball and have had great feedback concerning the anticipation of playing summer basketball.

Thank You,
Coach Swindall
Elkhorn City Elementary
Coach which gyms would this be played at?
We will be playing games at Mullins, Pikeville, Dorton, Millard, and Elkhorn City.
Due to testing, rosters can be turned in on Monday the 24th.
Thanks
Coach Swindall
Is this for girls and boys?
This camp is for Jr. high boys teams.
I would like to say congratulations to all that chose to play in the 2nd annual East Ky. Jr. Team Camp 2010. I will be sending out schedules on Monday and would expect payment on the first evening of camp where t-shirts will be handed out and official paperwork collected. I will post game results and stats for those interested. I look forward to seeing everybody on the 14th for orientation and camp tipoff. Good luck to all teams and "Let's play some basketball".
I would like to say congratulations to all that chose to play in the 2nd annual East Ky. Jr. High Team Camp 2010. I will be sending out schedules on Monday and would expect payment on the first evening of camp where t-shirts will be handed out and official paperwork collected. I will post game results and stats for those interested. I look forward to seeing everybody on the 14th for orientation and camp tipoff. Good luck to all teams and "Let's play some basketball".