Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: question for coaches!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When you get hired, there is confidentiality. How can a coach can on this site or any site and talk about players or anyone? This is not to just high school coaches, I mean every coach! What makes this talking on sites legal for coaches, their can be recruiting violations, confidentiality, and not to mention legality situations.

Would really like to here some input on this situations?
I think many coaches are apprehensive about sites like this. Not in regards of recruiting and what not but about some of the silliness that goes on and the comments from some of the "experts". I know some coaches who tell their players to stay away from these types of sites for better or worst. I guess like anything you should take most of the postings with a grain of salt
You cannot share information about grades and those type of things but there are no laws to my knowledge that keeps a coach from talking about how players are performing, or working out or whatever. I don't think those types of things are covered with state laws concerning education.
i dont know if it is legal or not but if i was a coach i wouldn't want my players reading some of these messages or buying into the propaganda put out at times buy some posters.thin needs to be a place for old hasbeens to shoot the bull .:thatsfunn:argue:
I do not know of any on THIS site, but others like it that I have been a member of had a handful of coaches, a couple of them are VERY successful coaches. They never posted negative about their teams or released information that would cause them trouble.

What a few of them DID do, however, was "police" members from their fan-base. For example, if a poster began posting stuff that a team would not want on, they would ask them to have a mod delete it. (Deleting posts are against BGR rules, so I couldn't do it here if a coach asked.)

VERY smart move by those coaches. If a team is scheduling more scrimmages than they are allowed and a poster reveals that, then the coaches mentioned earlier would ask the fan, to ask a mod, to remove the post or they would just say that they misunderstood and the extra game never happened, etc...

(please don't take this as an invite to visit other sites, I am talking about my shameful past and would never go back to any of those sites Big Grin )
sheriff Wrote:When you get hired, there is confidentiality. How can a coach can on this site or any site and talk about players or anyone? This is not to just high school coaches, I mean every coach! What makes this talking on sites legal for coaches, their can be recruiting violations, confidentiality, and not to mention legality situations.

I seen this on a basketball thread. I would like an example to better understand what you are complaining about.
sheriff Wrote:When you get hired, there is confidentiality. How can a coach can on this site or any site and talk about players or anyone? This is not to just high school coaches, I mean every coach! What makes this talking on sites legal for coaches, their can be recruiting violations, confidentiality, and not to mention legality situations.

by the way legal wise coaches cann't violate Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). FERPA is a Federal law that applies to educational agencies and institutions that receive funding under a program administered by the U. S. Department of Education. So student records including health/school records can not be released to the public. This is the same law that pro sports team use not to release information on players injuries.
Personally I don't think it's very professional to be on this site or any others posting about your own team or about other coaches, players fans in a negative way.
These boards allow the coach to gauge the atmosphere of his program. They will probably read it when the times are good, and ignore when the times are bad.