Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mason County 62 George Rogers Clark 60 (10th Region Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Big upset!

Congrats Royals!
Final

Congrats Royals!
Congrats Royals
Congrats Royals!!
Wow! I wasnt expecting this one. Congrats Mason County. The bottom bracket of the Sweet Sixteen keeps getting weaker with GRC losing and Iroquois losing.
Peacedomes85
Statistician
Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0

I think the Scott VS GRC game took too much out of GRC IMO...Mason by 3 or less in a close one

I Called This One...Congrats Royals!!! (You Guys Might Have The Easiest Road To The State Finals!!!)
Wow...this whole time ive been telling people that if SV makes far in the tournament that GRC would be there biggest competition in there bracket but now that they got beat seems to make the road a little easier, but with that being said I have not watched Mason Co. play but they must be pretty good.
Congrats Mason. Didn't expect this to be the outcome though.
Some consider this an upset but Mason Co. has a pretty good and so much good success in going to state tournaments it is hard to consider it much of an upset to me.
congrats to Mason
I don't understand how the region is held at Mason Co.. I'm sure that one has been beaten to death ad nauseum however. Congratulations to Mason for making yet another trip to Rupp. Not sure who was the most disappointing no show at Rupp, GRC or Holmes.
Well, my heart is still beating a mile a minute and I'm still shaking, BUT I will get through this.

First and foremost, congrats to Clark County on a great year. Let's all remember, all their key players are juniors and this team will be even better next year. I remember something Trevor Setty said after the Royals lost to the Cardinals in the Region final in 2007. He said they were so hurt by that loss, they were in the gym the next day working toward's next year. I can imagine Clark County will be doing the exact same thing and if they are healthy, they are going to pile up the wins against next year.

With that said, this can't be considered a SHOCKING upset because Mason County always plays solid defense and coached so well. You had the feeling that Clark County was just a run away from putting it away, Royals aren't going to outscore anyone in a running game and I just kept saying, KEEP IT CLOSE.

Royals never really lead for long and Clark County seemingly was in control the whole time. Came down to some stops, some key shots and they win.

Just unbelievable and it didn't even sink in that they were going to Rupp until Neal lead the students in a chant of Rupp Arena. It FINALLY sunk in, my god, they are going back to Rupp.

These pictures were taken before the game when it was packed big time.
OU812 Wrote:I don't understand how the region is held at Mason Co.. I'm sure that one has been beaten to death ad nauseum however. Congratulations to Mason for making yet another trip to Rupp. Not sure who was the most disappointing no show at Rupp, GRC or Holmes.

38th District voted to hold it there, Mason County had NO VOTE in it. There are three options and the Fieldhouse was still chosen. With next year being the 39th, Royals district, you can count on it being back at the Fieldhouse again.

Let's start the countdown now, Mason County/Clark County 2011 for the Region Championship at the Fieldhouse. Get in line now!
Congrats Royals.
Way to go!!!!

Mason could be a dark horse in the sweet 16
I thought that GRC would have won this one but I don't think with them losing to MC it is as big of an upset as some say it is. Congrats to MC on a big win.
I picked the wrong team again, congrats Mason Co!
Mason had no part of the vote but that doesn't change the difficulty in beating them on thier home court during tourney time.
MC (23-6) Gilbert 16, J. Lang 16, Bluford 3, Setty 10, Harris 2, Pawsat 8, Black 7
CC (26-7) Daniel 3, Kindred 2, Stenzel 12, Purvis 7, Zollo 19, Rogers 17

MC FG 40.4% 3 PT FG 35% FT 50% REB 37 TO 9
CC FG 37.3% 3 PT FG 26.3% FT 68.8% REB 13 TO 13

MC 09 20 11 22-62
CC 16 14 16 14-60
Slight upset here, bu maybe some vindication for me voting the Royals #13 in last week's BGR Top 20 poll. :biggrin:

Anyway, congrats to Mason on a big win. They are a dangerous team and would likely be considered one of the favorites to emerge from the bottom bracket of the Sweet Sixteen (along with SV if they make it).
Congrats to Mason Co. GRC had very poor shot selection in the 4th and did not play what got them all the wins this year. You have that height and you don't pound it inside? You are shooting 3's?
More Cowbell Wrote:They are a dangerous team and would likely be considered one of the favorites to emerge from the bottom bracket of the Sweet Sixteen (along with SV if they make it).

You can add the Knott/Perry winner also...
I thought that when Pawsatt came back, it just might be enough to give MC a chance to beat GRC. This is no shocker to me.
Peacedomes85 Wrote:Peacedomes85
Statistician
Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0

I think the Scott VS GRC game took too much out of GRC IMO...Mason by 3 or less in a close one

I Called This One...Congrats Royals!!! (You Guys Might Have The Easiest Road To The State Finals!!!)

IMO Valley is the favorite to get to the finals on that side of the braket.
Gold Charger Wrote:Congrats to Mason Co. GRC had very poor shot selection in the 4th and did not play what got them all the wins this year. You have that height and you don't pound it inside? You are shooting 3's?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was wondering about the game plan.
I don't see how you can have 4 potential D-1 prospects and still not make it to Rupp. Clark County had an outstanding sophomore class last year, now their juniors, next year they will be seniors and they still do not have a regional championship in their career. Mason County will still be the favorites next year and region is at Mason County.

Until Clark County develops or (recruits) a point guard it could be another regional title appearance only next year also.

Last year's excuse was the injury bug, what's the excuse this year?
Barring Clark County injuries, they will be the heavy favorite next year. Mason County is losing quite a few key players this year, Black and Harris will be juniors, Pawsat, Setty will be Seniors, but no way they will be on the same level talent wise as what Clark County will have.

Cardinals will go in as the favorite and they should be. I said it after the Clark County/Scott game that decision making nearly cost the Cardinals that game and with a six point lead halfway through the 4th, decision making may have cost them again. Royals deserve credit for making the plays, but Clark County was doing anything they wanted in the paint when they got it in there.

For all the "homecourt" advantage stuff, did that apply when Clark County lead virtually the entire game, until the last couple minutes? Cardinals had a 12 point lead at the Northern Kentucky arena last year in the 3rd quarter and the Royals still won, must have been that "homecourt" advantage.

Mason County didn't win its first region til 1981, the Fieldhouse had been hosting the tournament for over 15 years at that point. AND the Royals went EIGHT YEARS from 1994-2002 WITHOUT winning a Regional title. In 2005, the Royals lost in the 1st round of the Regional tournament to Harrison County. I guess homecourt advantage only applies when they win.

If Clark County fans REALLY want to latch on to the homecourt advantage argument and not the fact that they have lost to Mason County 3 straight years on 3 different courts, then blame:

Harrison County, Nicholas County, Deming, Pendleton County. I believe 3 of the 4 voted to have it back at Maysville. Schedule them next year and take out your frustration on them for costing you a chance at the title and not all the factors that went into the loss.
homeless_camel Wrote:38th District voted to hold it there, Mason County had NO VOTE in it. There are three options and the Fieldhouse was still chosen. With next year being the 39th, Royals district, you can count on it being back at the Fieldhouse again.

Let's start the countdown now, Mason County/Clark County 2011 for the Region Championship at the Fieldhouse. Get in line now!

wouldnt count out the Scott Eagles THIS EARLY already
Congrats MC :Thumbs: