Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pilgrim vs. Harrellson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not complaining or that this is even an issue. Just watching different teams as the season winds down. I think Matt Pilgram could have contributed this year compared to Josh Harrellson. Pilgram is big, strong, and athletic. I don't know if Harrellson is any of those. Which would you rather have and why??
Pilgram chose not to come to UK. I would defintely have liked to have Pilgram here. He would have fit in perfectly to the system next year.
Stardust Wrote:Pilgram chose not to come to UK. I would defintely have liked to have Pilgram here. He would have fit in perfectly to the system next year.

He chose not to?? I thought he was enrolled at UK last season, just had to sit out due to transferring. Then when Calipari arrived he was cut free?? I'm usually on top of UK basketball news, I'm not sure how I missed this. Any other info on it Stardust, if you care to elaborate??
Where does Pilgram play?
lwc Wrote:Where does Pilgram play?

Oklahoma State for former UK standout Travis Ford. In the last few minutes, I've done some research and all articles I have found it includes that it wasn't Pilgrams choice, he was told he wouldn't have a scholarship.
I'm not out to prove you wrong Stardust, just doing some research. And in fact Pilgram did not have a choice as Calipari did not renew his scholarship as confirmed by Larry Vaught of the BBN.

http://vaughtsviews.com/?p=547&cpage=1

Discussion reopened.
Maybe there was something we don't know. Such as Pilgrim's tendencies on the court or Pilgrim's shooting form. When Coach Calipari looked at stuff like that, maybe he seen more potential in Harrellson.

Or maybe, now that I see from ESPN.com (Here's the link -> http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=32970), Pilgrim didn't go to UK while Harrellson already received a scholarship for UK. Maybe Coach Calipari wanted to be nice and let Harrellson have the scholarship instead of forcing Harrellson off the team while giving the scholarship to Pilgrim?

These are just guesses, though. We can't know with 100% accuracy unless Coach Calipari tells us.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Maybe there was something we don't know. Such as Pilgrim's tendencies on the court or Pilgrim's shooting form. When Coach Calipari looked at stuff like that, maybe he seen more potential in Harrellson.

Or maybe, now that I see from ESPN.com (Here's the link -> http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=32970), Pilgrim didn't go to UK while Harrellson already received a scholarship for UK. Maybe Coach Calipari wanted to be nice and let Harrellson have the scholarship instead of forcing Harrellson off the team while giving the scholarship to Pilgrim?

These are just guesses, though. We can't know with 100% accuracy unless Coach Calipari tells us.

Wouldn't have had to. Coach Cal chose later on to give the last scholarship to Mark Krebs, who I don't think really even needed it, as he had walked on for two years previously. There was room for Pilgrim.
He wasn't going to cut a Sr. in Stephenson.

There was no room for Pilgrim.

Where was he going to get minutes? Cousins? P-Pat? Orton?

Maybe he saw that Pilgrim had some potential to play more than 4 minutes or maybe he thought Harellson brought more to the table.
If coach cal thought this kid could play he wouldnt have let him leave.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:If coach cal thought this kid could play he wouldnt have let him leave.

:Thumbs:
Pilgrim is a better player than Harrellson, anyone with eyes can see that....

BUT.... what you don't see is the symbolism of keeping Harrellson. Harrellson was Gillispie's whipping post, heck he even forced him to ride back in the equipment truck and forced him to spend an entire halftime in the bathroom stall!

Calipari knew that the 5th post position was not going to see any substantial minutes over PPat, Cousins, Orton, and Perry Stephenson. This was a spot where he wanted to maximize giving it to someone who would benefit the team more from sitting on the bench and being a positive member of the team.

I also think Cal made the better decision for Pilgrim. Pilgrim is a decent player, as evident by his season at Okie State. Had he been left as nothing more than a mop up player at UK he would have been severely shortchanged and in turn may have had a negative effect on the team. Harrellson is perfectly content riding the pine all the way to a Final 4 OTOH.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pilgrim is a better player than Harrellson, anyone with eyes can see that....

BUT.... what you don't see is the symbolism of keeping Harrellson. Harrellson was Gillispie's whipping post, heck he even forced him to ride back in the equipment truck and forced him to spend an entire halftime in the bathroom stall!

Calipari knew that the 5th post position was not going to see any substantial minutes over PPat, Cousins, Orton, and Perry Stephenson. This was a spot where he wanted to maximize giving it to someone who would benefit the team more from sitting on the bench and being a positive member of the team.

I also think Cal made the better decision for Pilgrim. Pilgrim is a decent player, as evident by his season at Okie State. Had he been left as nothing more than a mop up player at UK he would have been severely shortchanged and in turn may have had a negative effect on the team. Harrellson is perfectly content riding the pine all the way to a Final 4 OTOH.

:Thumbs: but what does the bolded section mean?
on the other hand
EKUAlum05 Wrote:on the other hand

Thanks!
The Blue Blur Wrote:Not complaining or that this is even an issue. Just watching different teams as the season winds down. I think Matt Pilgram could have contributed this year compared to Josh Harrellson. Pilgram is big, strong, and athletic. I don't know if Harrellson is any of those. Which would you rather have and why??

Pilgrim is a beast! May be the only thing that Cal has done wrong? Maybe Pilgrim's attitude just didn't fit in? I don't know much about him but he seems to be a terrific player! I think he is averaging about 20 this year!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pilgrim is a better player than Harrellson, anyone with eyes can see that....

I agree, Harrellson was rewarded and Pilgrim is in a better spot than he would've been at UK this season. This is my issue though so we have Orton coming back and Harrellson. If we get Kanter there's a third post player. If we had Pilgram he'd be our 4th post player and get to play over Harrellson. I know there is a possibility of Jones and Leslie, although they'll probably play the 4 spot they're more like SF with size which fits the dribble drive four man well. I just think Pilgram as a better player suits UK better than Harrellson.
The Blue Blur Wrote:I agree, Harrellson was rewarded and Pilgrim is in a better spot than he would've been at UK this season. This is my issue though so we have Orton coming back and Harrellson. If we get Kanter there's a third post player. If we had Pilgram he'd be our 4th post player and get to play over Harrellson. I know there is a possibility of Jones and Leslie, although they'll probably play the 4 spot they're more like SF with size which fits the dribble drive four man well. I just think Pilgram as a better player suits UK better than Harrellson.

You miss one key thing... this isn't Tubby Smith. Calipari will get at least one highly rated prospect every year in the post , if not two.
How good is he?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You miss one key thing... this isn't Tubby Smith. Calipari will get at least one highly rated prospect every year in the post , if not two.

So outside of Kanter, what other post player is he going to get. Counting Harrellson and Kanter that's only 3 post players.