Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Holmes 59 Dixie Heights 39 (9th Region 1st Round)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dogs take Dixie behind the woodshed. Led by as many as 26 and coasted from there.

Recap to come later.

Holmes will meet the winner of Boone/Newcath.
Numbers:

Holmes- Pittman 15, R. Johnson 14, J. Johnson 9, Hayes 6, Herndon 6, Rice 4, Slusher 4, McClendon 3.

Dixie Heights- Smith 14, Hatton 8, Pike 8, P. Stansberry 5, Boone 2, Raleigh 2

3 Pointers: Holmes 10 (Pittman 3, R. Johnson 2, Herndon 2, Hayes, J. Johnson, McClendon) Dixie 2 (P. Stansberry, Smith)

Free throws:
Holmes- 5/11
Dixie- 1/3
Looks like the Dawgs proved the 1st game was a fluke.
Laniganfan29 Wrote:Looks like the Dawgs proved the 1st game was a fluke.

I tried telling all the "haters" this but they didn't wanna believe it.

When the lights come on and it's tourney time, this group steps up.

Scary thing is, Holmes did this with Pittman only playing maybe 10 mins due to foul trouble. Henley played A LOT of guys tonight for long stretches.
Who does Holmes play the winner of?
Holmes will meet Boone in the semi finals Sat night at 7:30.
Scoring by quarters:

Holmes: 22-13-14-10- 59
Dixie: 9--11--9--10- 39

Holmes improves to 24-5 on the season and have now won 11 in a row since the loss to Ryle.
Ryan Ernst notes during the game:

Haltime:
The defending state champs are having very little trouble in the first half of their first-round Ninth Region tournament game. The Bulldogs lead Dixie Heights 35-20 at halftime at the Bank of Kentucky Center. Seven players already have scored for the Bulldogs. Ricardo Johnson leads all scorers with 10 points.

The game, a rematch of a pretty physical regular-season tilt, has been called pretty tight. Dixie eighth-grader Brandon Hatton and Holmes senior Elijah Pittman were separated in the first quarter.Both received technicals.

The Bulldogs played most of the first half without Pittman, who went to the bench in foul trouble.

Holmes is 7-of-11 from 3-point range.

On my way to the bathroom during halftime, I ran into Dixie coach Ken Chevalier.

“How ya going to defend that?” he asked me.

I shrugged. That seemed like the answer he was looking for

Holmes 49 Dixie 29

That’s the score as we enter the fourth quarter. Holmes has three players in double figures — Ricardo Johnson, Jeremiah Johnson and Elijah Pittman — and is 9-of-13 from 3-point range.
Recap:

First quarter, Dogs came out firing. Holmes jumped out 4-0 behind back to back buckets by Slusher and Pittman but Dixie's Smith would respond with a 3 point play to make it 4-3. That would be the closest Dixie would get the rest of the game. Dogs closed out the quarter on a 18-6 run. After Dixie closed to 4-3, Holmes went on a 7-0 run to push the lead out to 9 at 12-3. Dixie would score to make it 12-5 and on the way back, Hatton and Pittman were both T'd up for jawing with one another. This seemed to ignite Holmes as the big fella responded with a 3 on the very next possession to make it 15-5 Dogs and then Herndon hit from the corner to make it 18-5. Dixie got back to back baskets from Pike and Hatton to make it 18-9 but Ric would respond with back to back baskets for Holmes to make it 22-9 heading in to the second quarter.

Second quarter, Stansberry opened things up with a 3 but Ricardo Johnson would answer with a 30 foot 3 at the other end to give him 7 straight for Holmes and push the lead out to 13 at 25-12. Chris Hayes then hit a 3 after a Wes Smith bucket to put the Dogs ahead 28-12, but Dixie would score 6 straight to make it 28-18. Herndon would step up for Holmes though and stop the run with a big 3 and Holmes would close the half out on a 7-2 run to head in the half up 15 at 35-20.

Third quarter, both teams would trade baskets to start the quarter but with Holmes up 37-25, JJ would hit a 3 and the route was one. The three keyed a 12-2 run, which Pittman had 7 points during. Ricardo Johnson closed the run with a post up against Smith and then turn around jumper to put the Dogs ahead 49-29 heading in to the 4th. During the quarter, Holmes played 10 different guys.

Fourth quarter, it was more of the same. Christian McClendon opened things up with a 3 to push Holmes ahead 52-29 and then Ricardo Johnson would hit 2 free throws to put the Dogs ahead 25 at 54-29 with 6:45 left. After the free throws, Ric's night would be done. Dixie would go on an 8-2 run with Holmes' big 3 on the bench, to make it 56-37 and then both benches would be cleared at the 2:50 mark. From here on out, Dixie coach would sub out one senior at a time to make sure they all got a proper send off. Both teams traded baskets the last two mins to give us the 59-39 final.

The popular question at the end of the night by those sitting at the scorers table with me??

"How the heck did Dixie play Holmes to a 3 point loss in the first go around?!? Holmes must've been extremely bored that game."
I figured Holmes would win, but not by this much. Guess this proves the 1st game was a fluke. Congrats to Holmes!
Looks like Holmes had a better game plan for this game.
Holmes wins their 25 game of the year and the winning streak goes to 11 since the loss to Ryle

Looks like this group is "focused" on getting back to Rupp
NYY10 Wrote:I figured Holmes would win, but not by this much. Guess this proves the 1st game was a fluke. Congrats to Holmes!

What I told somebody tonight out at NKU was that during the regular season, Holmes took every team's best shot.

During the post-season, every team now must take Holmes' best shot.
Congrats Holmes on a big win!

Holmes hardly ever seems to put up a lot of points but they keep the opposition from putting up very many points too. This team will be hard to contend with if/when they make it out of their region.
jalfzou Wrote:What I told somebody tonight out at NKU was that during the regular season, Holmes took every team's best shot.

During the post-season, every team now must take Holmes' best shot.

Very well put... Holmes has looked lathargic to say the least in alot of games this season, they have played like a middle of the road team who have had just enough to take them over the top. Since the last game or two of the regular season and districts have started they have look like a much more energized team, they look like they are focused and determined to get back to Rupp. I have been frustrated after several games this season on here about how they cant keep it together for the entire game and how they seem to play to the level of there opponets, well now it looks like they have hit the switch and really turned it on down the stretch.

With a group of Sr's like Pittman, Ricardo Johnson, Jerimiah Johnson and those guys, there is added pressure on this group to preform as well, they have been down to Rupp there entire careers and if they don't go down as 9th region champs again it would be a major let down for these guys.
Holmes is showing the signs of what they are capable of
I said before the game in my post that the first game was a fluke, I also beleive I said, when it is tourney time, the Dawgs show up in a big way. I predict Saturday's game will have the same outcome. :flame:

:1:
BTW, a good point was mentioned in the above link:

Holmes seniors have now played in 21 postseason games. If that isn't experience, I don't what is.

Also, during their first three games of postseason play, they're giving up just 41 ppg. Talk about getting after it.
Maxpreps.com has Pittman listed at 6-6 and 185 lbs. This must be wrong if we are to agree with the accounts of how he is so tough under the hoops? Does anyone know for sure if this is correct?
dortonite Wrote:Maxpreps.com has Pittman listed at 6-6 and 185 lbs. This must be wrong if we are to agree with the accounts of how he is so tough under the hoops? Does anyone know for sure if this is correct?

Pittman is 6'8 and probably in the 220 range.

That listed height and weight isn't correct.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Pittman is 6'8 and probably in the 220 range.

That listed height and weight isn't correct.
Thanks, that makes much more sense!
Dortonite, here is a pic of Pittman from last night's Holmes/Boone game.

As you can tell in his arms, he definetly isn't 185:

(Click pic to enlarge)

[attachment=o1965]

Also, in the following pic taken during the Dixie game, you can tell from him posting up against a kid that's around 6'5 that he is indeed a big guy:

(Click pic to enlarge)

[attachment=o1966]