Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Source: Celtics To Sign Michael Finley
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Veteran free agent swingman Michael Finley has decided to join the Boston Celtics and will sign over the next few days, an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports.

Finley is expected to sign the prorated veteran minimum in “the next day or so,” the source said.

The San Antonio Spurs waived Finley on Monday after he expressed frustration about his limited role with the team. The Celtics were interested because they needed another shooter off the bench.

Finley turns 37 on Saturday. He averaged 3.7 points in 25 games this season, but his agent said Monday that Finley remains confident he still can be a contributor.

“It was a situation where the Spurs understood why Michael wanted to pursue other opportunities elsewhere,” said Henry Thomas, Finley’s agent.

“He wants to be part of the mix again. He’s a competitor who has never been in that position [of not playing] before.”

Finley played with San Antonio for five seasons and won an NBA title in 2007. He is expected to continue working out in San Antonio until he signs with a new team.

Boston recently traded for Nate Robinson and also has guards Marquis Daniels and Tony Allen to come off the bench. The Celtics have a long a history of adding veteran free agents in recent seasons, including Stephon Marbury, P.J. Brown and Sam Cassell.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ai...&type=lgns
Another big name, close to retiring player for the Celtics? They are going for it, have to admire that.
K_Mac Wrote:Another big name, close to retiring player for the Celtics? They are going for it, have to admire that.

Yelp, Doc needs to go to the younger generation
theVILLE Wrote:Yelp, Doc needs to go to the younger generation

I dont know.. picking up veterans is pretty smart. For one, it gives them a chance NOW which is more important to the veterans already there. It gives them experience come playoffs as well as a player who can rest pierce and allen. And to add their contracts dont last long and he has cap space usually within a season.
K_Mac Wrote:I dont know.. picking up veterans is pretty smart. For one, it gives them a chance NOW which is more important to the veterans already there. It gives them experience come playoffs as well as a player who can rest pierce and allen. And to add their contracts dont last long and he has cap space usually within a season.

idk older players are injury prone alot
theVILLE Wrote:idk older players are injury prone alot

True. But when healthy are very valuable.
K_Mac Wrote:True. But when healthy are very valuable.

I am the biggest believer in Expierence is the key, but they have went a little over bored i think...I mean in there prime there all great players...They need to come back down a few years and sign some players
theVILLE Wrote:I am the biggest believer in Expierence is the key, but they have went a little over bored i think...I mean in there prime there all great players...They need to come back down a few years and sign some players

Yea with one or two more young guys to compliment all their experience they would be very dangerous
K_Mac Wrote:Yea with one or two more young guys to compliment all their experience they would be very dangerous

i could see that
theVILLE Wrote:i could see that

Thats why I think Nate was a good pickup to start with.
K_Mac Wrote:Thats why I think Nate was a good pickup to start with.

yes in a way!
theVILLE Wrote:yes in a way!

In a way? What was bad about his pick-up? We lost a good shooter in house, but brought in someone who can score more, create his own shot, run with faster players in the NBA, relieve Allen and Rondo from playing so many minutes, and relieve allen from guarding the best players and tiring him out early in games. Negative please?
K_Mac Wrote:In a way? What was bad about his pick-up? We lost a good shooter in house, but brought in someone who can score more, create his own shot, run with faster players in the NBA, relieve Allen and Rondo from playing so many minutes, and relieve allen from guarding the best players and tiring him out early in games. Negative please?

Shooting ability was about all i had!
theVILLE Wrote:Shooting ability was about all i had!

LOL oh. My bad.
^ lol.
Finley is another veteran player for the Celtics, a great pick if they do indeed get him.
Ballers Wrote:Finley is another veteran player for the Celtics, a great pick if they do indeed get him.

Agreed. I hope the Celtics are awesome come play off time just for everyone who says they're too old.
Agree with earlier comments, K-Mac and others. Think this pick up of another veteran is a sign that the Celtics are thinking title
I think that its a great move for the Celtics and does nothing but help them!!
BondJamesBond Wrote:Agree with earlier comments, K-Mac and others. Think this pick up of another veteran is a sign that the Celtics are thinking title

For sure.