Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boyd County Basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Word is the coach has resigned.
Can't say that I blame him...
If he does, who is coach? Pete Fraley is the girls coach. He believes that the Garden of Eden was located in Cannonsburg but he has a daughter playing so he is not your guy. The new coach will need to have a degree in social work to renew former ties.
I have known Dave Wooten for nearly 35 years. He is a good man and knows basketball as much as anyone in the region. His departure may or may not prove to be a good thing for the program at Boyd County.
Any front runners for the postion. Will the job be filled from within or, are they looking outside of the system?
Unbelievable.
I did talk to someone who works at the school and the story is that he was called in and FORCED to resign, he didn't want to quit, but he had no choice in the matter.
I think they should give to Salisbury. He is the man.
Ashland Diomedes Wrote:I have known Dave Wooten for nearly 35 years. He is a good man and knows basketball as much as anyone in the region. His departure may or may not prove to be a good thing for the program at Boyd County.

So your saying the program "may" deteriorate from their 2 wins of this year?
Will Rose Hill not be on the schedule?
Really amazing that Boyd County is in this shape. If you'd have told me when I was in high school (many moons ago) that Boyd Co. would be in the cellar of the region (not including Rose Hill) I'd have bet the farm that you'd have been wrong. We can talk tradition at Greenup, or Ashland, but really does anyone have a better tradition than Boyd? Simply amazing that they are where they are. I wish good luck to Coach Wooten, he's a fine man and will no doubt get a bad rap for his short tenure at BC when in fact, Bob Knight couldn't have done much more with what he had on his bench. Good luck to whomever is next. Wonder if Coach Randy Ward would be interested in that position?
dejavu Wrote:So your saying the program "may" deteriorate from their 2 wins of this year?
Will Rose Hill not be on the schedule?

HaHa...No, that is not what I posted. Can you read? Boyd County's real problems didnt begin with Wooten ousting a few players, their problems began several years ago and there are many factors at Boyd County that has caused their downward spiral into their darkest abyss of Basketball.

I'm not going to post the factors but many are obvious.

With your infinite supply of basketball wisdom maybe you should consider applying for the open position.

The 2 W's...Wooten and Watkins have great basketball minds, their combined record of 2 and ? (70) is not a reflection of their knowledge, maybe their coaching to a certain degree but both have only been head varsity coaches for 2 years and both inherited programs that were in a state of total ataxia. Whoever coaches both Boyd County and Rose Hill will need a minimum of 3-5 years before any vivacity is palpable.
If Boyd were to pick up a RH kid ala Frank Lee or Greg Fugate or a foster kid like Owens they get instant respectability.
:thatsfunn This is true...
OU812 Wrote:Really amazing that Boyd County is in this shape. If you'd have told me when I was in high school (many moons ago) that Boyd Co. would be in the cellar of the region (not including Rose Hill) I'd have bet the farm that you'd have been wrong. We can talk tradition at Greenup, or Ashland, but really does anyone have a better tradition than Boyd? Simply amazing that they are where they are. I wish good luck to Coach Wooten, he's a fine man and will no doubt get a bad rap for his short tenure at BC when in fact, Bob Knight couldn't have done much more with what he had on his bench. Good luck to whomever is next. Wonder if Coach Randy Ward would be interested in that position?

washed up Wrote:If Boyd were to pick up a RH kid ala Frank Lee or Greg Fugate or a foster kid like Owens they get instant respectability.

I would say Boyd has the second most tradition in the region. It would be hard to say it is better than Ashland. Ashland is one of the most tradition rich schools in the state of Kentucky.
On the second quote that is a lot harder to do now than it was during those players time because now if people who are at the foster home have to be taken into a foster home and plus those better players are staying around the Lexington area for some reason.
Ashland Diomedes Wrote:HaHa...No, that is not what I posted. Can you read? Boyd County's real problems didnt begin with Wooten ousting a few players, their problems began several years ago and there are many factors at Boyd County that has caused their downward spiral into their darkest abyss of Basketball.

I'm not going to post the factors but many are obvious.

With your infinite supply of basketball wisdom maybe you should consider applying for the open position.

The 2 W's...Wooten and Watkins have great basketball minds, their combined record of 2 and ? (70) is not a reflection of their knowledge, maybe their coaching to a certain degree but both have only been head varsity coaches for 2 years and both inherited programs that were in a state of total ataxia. Whoever coaches both Boyd County and Rose Hill will need a minimum of 3-5 years before any vivacity is palpable.

Well, since it seems you can't post without being condescending towards anyone who quotes your post, why don't you spill your connected beans on the reasons Boyd has fallen off the regional map.
Call me condescending if you want, my post was not quoted word for word and was taken out of its context. I'm glad to know that you want in the debate of the Boyd County debacle...my connected beans have already sprouted a giant bean stalk, so spilling them is out of the question. Maybe a private message on reasons the mighty lions have fallen would be better for the both of us instead of airing it out on this public forum.
I think it will be a few more years before Boyd can contend for a region title. They just don't have many kids coming up in the next few years that could lead them to rupp IMO.
Ashland Diomedes Wrote:Call me condescending if you want, my post was not quoted word for word and was taken out of its context. I'm glad to know that you want in the debate of the Boyd County debacle...my connected beans have already sprouted a giant bean stalk, so spilling them is out of the question. Maybe a private message on reasons the mighty lions have fallen would be better for the both of us instead of airing it out on this public forum.

That's fine, I have my thoughts on it, and I'll shoot you a pm.
Is it just me or is it happening in other Boyd sports? The football team lacks numbers and talent and while the baseball team is competitive they are a few steps behind where they used to be.
It is pretty amazing, I pulled out my state program from last year and Boyd won 6 regional titles in the 90's, including 3 straight from 98-2000.

Granted, Ashland has been much more competitive year in and year out, but even the Tomcats haven't won the region since 2002.

Rose Hill, Morgan, Rowan, Russell all won regional titles before Elliott's NBA team came along. The region is there for the taking, we see it again this year that things really are wide open.

Would be nice to see the Lions at least challenging for a regional title in the future.
Then you better go to the cheerleading competition
How do you know what they have coming up in the future? Have you ever seen the younger kids play? The freshman had a pretty good year, the 8th & 7th grades had a great year. The 8th grade record was something like 17-7 (or close to that) and the 7th was about the same. They have some really good quick guards, and big guys that can rebound. So for you to say they dont have anyone coming up is not a fair statement. As far as who should coach, I think Rick Griffith should have got it the first time so I think he should have a shot now.
A quick search revealed a 3-5 year timeline for the next coach. How does that differ from your statements about the 7th,8th,9th groups? Looks like the 9s will be 12s in 3 yrs and the 7s will be 12s in 5 yrs.
Names being mentioned include Jeff Hall, Rex Cooksey, Randy Ward. I am sure there are many others that we will hear in the next few weeks.
Fred Sanford Wrote:Names being mentioned include Jeff Hall, Rex Cooksey, Randy Ward. I am sure there are many others that we will hear in the next few weeks.

Randy Ward=Boring. Jeff Hall is not going to leave Glassgow to come here after BC snubbed him two years ago, plus Cameron is going to school at Cambellsville which is much closer to Glasgow then Ashland is. Rex Cooksey is too old and doesn't even have a winning record as a high school coach. I don't see where any of the three makes sense. I want someone with fresh ideas and who will stay around for a while. If they stay local with the choice I would rather have Rick Griffith than Ward or Cooksey. Jeff Hall would be great, but that is not going to happen.
Another named mentioned by the Daily Independent this morning was Chris Barnes. he is the coach at South Point and has a lot of ties to Ironton. Don't know if he could bring any of there young talent to Boyd Co. but Ironton has a great group of freshmen.
We shall see. Barnes has a couple sons who can play. How about a young guy like Nathan Sutton or a Justin Moore?
UKUKUK Wrote:Randy Ward=Boring. Jeff Hall is not going to leave Glassgow to come here after BC snubbed him two years ago, plus Cameron is going to school at Cambellsville which is much closer to Glasgow then Ashland is. Rex Cooksey is too old and doesn't even have a winning record as a high school coach. I don't see where any of the three makes sense. I want someone with fresh ideas and who will stay around for a while. If they stay local with the choice I would rather have Rick Griffith than Ward or Cooksey. Jeff Hall would be great, but that is not going to happen.
Yep, I'm sure Boyd is tired of those exciting losses. Perhaps boring wins would cure the ails of the county folks. But somehow I doubt it. Greenup gets a bad rap with some of the locals and their retarded ideas and comments with regards to the sports at GC. Not sure Boyd isn't as bad or worse.
There is a rumor brewing that a certain furniture salesman is working the back channels, trying to get his foot in the door as the assistant coach to either one of a couple of guys. My guess is that he is probably hitching his wagon to one guy, rather than two or more, but that is immaterial.

The strength of this "coach" is his ties to the AAU circuit. This guy doesn't know much about basketball (certainly not nearly as much as he thinks he does), but he does know a lot about furniture.

I guess the question may come down to whether Boyd County is willing to let it's basketball program become "Rose Hill, Round 3" in order to win quickly, or if they would rather rebuild with a more traditional method.

Stay tuned.
Squid Wrote:There is a rumor brewing that a certain furniture salesman is working the back channels, trying to get his foot in the door as the assistant coach to either one of a couple of guys. My guess is that he is probably hitching his wagon to one guy, rather than two or more, but that is immaterial.

The strength of this "coach" is his ties to the AAU circuit. This guy doesn't know much about basketball (certainly not nearly as much as he thinks he does), but he does know a lot about furniture.

I guess the question may come down to whether Boyd County is willing to let it's basketball program become "Rose Hill, Round 3" in order to win quickly, or if they would rather rebuild with a more traditional method.

Stay tuned.
Yes, just like district foe Ashland has.
Pages: 1 2