Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ballard 72 Trinity 65 (27th Dist. Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One possession game with 30sec to go but T couldn't get it done.

Nice win for Ballard on home floor

Keiston Jones was a monster for Ballard with big plays late.

Sewell with 26, Epley with about 19 for Trinity
Probably the best game of the district championships.
Thank goodness. I was tired of hearing all the fans talking about this game and how Trinity would win it all this year!
TRINITY BASKETBALL

February 26, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

No. 1 Trinity Topped on Road By No. 2 Ballard, 72-65
Teams Learn Regional Fate Saturday, Regional Begins on Tuesday

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – No. 1 Trinity led 54-52 with 6:11 left after Daniel Corbett hit a driving layup but the Bruins answered with a 4-point play by Keisten Jones to take the lead and survive as they were able to post a 72-65 win at home in the finals of the 27th District Tournament at Ballard High School.

Leading Mr. Basketball candidate and the newly named Seventh Region Player of the Year Josh Sewell registered 26 points to lead all scorers.

Senior Taylor Epley added 19 points, including five three-point baskets on the night.

The Shamrocks trailed just 67-65 after a Sewell basket with 1:10 left before Ballard hit one free throw with 1:05 left and added another basket with under 30 seconds left after Trinity failed to tie the score. The Bruins added a final basket at the buzzer to settle at the final seven point margain.

The Shamrocks had already guaranteed themselves a spot in next week’s regional tournament for the seventh time in eight seasons. The Shamrocks won the program’s only regional title in 2004. Pairings for the regional tournament will be announced on Saturday.

The game featured two of the top 100 teams in the nation and they lived up the hype in front of a sell-out crowd of approximately 1,800 fans.

It was the third meeting of the year for the teams. Ballard posted a 56-53 win in Steinhauser Gymnasium on Dec. 15, 2010. The Shamrocks advanced to the finals of the 2010 Republic Bank/Coca-Cola Louisville Invitational Tournament after beating the Bruins 69-63 in overtime in the event’s semifinals on Feb. 16, 2010 at Atherton.

The teams could meet for a fourth time if both advance to the finals of the Seventh Region Tournament on Mon. March 8, 2010 at Bellarmine.

Postgame Notes
• Trinity’s 24-game winning streak was snapped as the Shamrocks suffered their first loss since Dec. 15, 2009.
• Trinity suffered its first loss away from home on the season after winning 21 to start the season. Trinity won 17 straight games away from home during the 2004-2005 season, the previous best in program history.
• Trinity is 48-11 over the last two seasons.
• Trinity is 16-1 in the 2010 calendar year.

Line Score 1 2 3 4 Final Records
Trinity 13 15 20 17 65 26-3
Ballard 12 20 17 23 72 26-4
Trinity (65)- Corbett 6, Foster 7, Saxton 2, Sewell 26, Armstrong 3, Epley 19, Kupper 2
Ballard (72)- Means 9, D. Hardin 13, Baker 2, Chiles 9, Parker 13, F. Hardin 2, Johnson 2, Jones 20, Collier 2
Three-Point Field Goals- Chiles, Jones 4, Sewell, Epley 5
Must have been a great game between two the state's heavyweights.

Congrats Bruins!
I predicted ballard to win by 8.
man, I would of loved to been there!!
NYY10 Wrote:man, I would of loved to been there!!

Me to looks like it was a dandy between two of the states top teams. Congrats to Ballard on the win.
Trinity continues to struggle in the post season. They have not won a post season championship in 6 years.
I predicted that Ballard would lose this game but win the region championship if these two met again.

This win makes me feel a little better about my pick. Congrats to the Bruins on the W.
I had Trinity winning both. Now, Ballard has convinced me that they are ready for the roll to the 16
1,800 Fans, I think ALC gym holds more that that Smile
Ballard came out with a great game plan and knocked off the best team in the state. I would say that they will meet up again in the regional championship game.
Congrats Ballard.
Sounds like a great game!
I called this one, Congrats Ballard!