Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jerry Lucas named head coach at Martha Layne Collins High School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good coach. Better man. I wish him the best of luck.
Good hire:Thumbs:
I think this is an excellent hire by the folks at Martha Layne Collins, Coach Lucas brings instant credibility and an offense that cannot be stopped... All they need now is a "D" and this team next year will compete for a state championship.....
Tom Becherer will be his defensive coordinator.
Navajo4life Wrote:I think this is an excellent hire by the folks at Martha Layne Collins, Coach Lucas brings instant credibility and an offense that cannot be stopped... All they need now is a "D" and this team next year will compete for a state championship.....

What makes them instantly a state championship team? For example. They have a great O-line or great QB linebackers etc.? Elaborate.
What kind of defense will they run?
Navajo4life Wrote:I think this is an excellent hire by the folks at Martha Layne Collins, Coach Lucas brings instant credibility and an offense that cannot be stopped... All they need now is a "D" and this team next year will compete for a state championship.....

If the offense can't be stopped, then they don't need a defense. They haven't been competitive for much in Shelby for a long time...they should start by focusing on winning a game first. I can imagine there will be a stout battle for kids between the 2 schools, leaving both schools hurting at certain positions. Will be interesting to see how these staffs do things...I could see some HUGE issues if either is too aggressive in their recruiting efforts!
Foxtrot Wrote:What makes them instantly a state championship team? For example. They have a great O-line or great QB linebackers etc.? Elaborate.

Read again, he didn't say that.
Foxtrot Wrote:What makes them instantly a state championship team? For example. They have a great O-line or great QB linebackers etc.? Elaborate.

They have lots of solid talent coming from SCHS from all positions. How good they will be depends who comes from Shelby Co. If the chips fall right, they could very easily be a contender for a state title.
Jarons Wrote:They have lots of solid talent coming from SCHS from all positions. How good they will be depends who comes from Shelby Co. If the chips fall right, they could very easily be a contender for a state title.

Easily?? SCHS as a whole could not have beaten Boyle or Bell...let's not get carried away here. 4A is no cake walk.
bigboy26 Wrote:Easily?? SCHS as a whole could not have beaten Boyle or Bell...let's not get carried away here. 4A is no cake walk.

SCHS was a very good young team last year. I never did say Collins would win 4A. I said they could be a easily be a contender quickly if the right kids came, good match up in the playoffs etc. No where did I ever say 4A is a cakewalk either.
I NEVER once said that 4 A football was a cake walk, I said that they would be a CONTENDER for a State Championship. With the kids that they have coming over from Shelby County, they instantly will be a contender, I'm telling you what I see coming over... Coach Lucas is very bright and runs a high power offense, check the stats out with Shelby County since he's been there, now with Coach Becherer running their Defense, this brings a lot of great coaching experience to a new school and this gives them instant credibility....
Navajo4life Wrote:I NEVER once said that 4 A football was a cake walk, I said that they would be a CONTENDER for a State Championship. With the kids that they have coming over from Shelby County, they instantly will be a contender, I'm telling you what I see coming over... Coach Lucas is very bright and runs a high power offense, check the stats out with Shelby County since he's been there, now with Coach Becherer running their Defense, this brings a lot of great coaching experience to a new school and this gives them instant credibility....

Still does not answer the question. Not intended to sound negative by the way. I was just curious to where the strength of the team will be. You say from what you see coming over is what you base the statements on. So what is or who is coming over? When do the kids get to decide which school to attend or how is that going to work. Thanks. :notworthy
Navajo4life Wrote:I NEVER once said that 4 A football was a cake walk, I said that they would be a CONTENDER for a State Championship. With the kids that they have coming over from Shelby County, they instantly will be a contender, I'm telling you what I see coming over... Coach Lucas is very bright and runs a high power offense, check the stats out with Shelby County since he's been there, now with Coach Becherer running their Defense, this brings a lot of great coaching experience to a new school and this gives them instant credibility....

No, winning games gives you instant credibility. My point is SCHS was never in the upper tier of 6A, splitting them and putting them in 4A will be tough. They will not be a contender for sometime in my opinion. I know what Lucas has done, and I also know that a year ago the offense was BAD. If they think they will INSTANTLY contend, you have no clue how tough 4A is. However, I do hope they have success, but starting a new program is NEVER easy. Especially going with varsity the 1st year. Time will tell. Good luck Titans.
Foxtrot Wrote:Still does not answer the question. Not intended to sound negative by the way. I was just curious to where the strength of the team will be. You say from what you see coming over is what you base the statements on. So what is or who is coming over? When do the kids get to decide which school to attend or how is that going to work. Thanks. :notworthy

Only the seniors to be (this years juniors) get to choose which school they want to attend. They had to make that decision last October or November. I am not in the loop enough to tell what the upcoming seniors have decided. The rest depends on where they live in the county. I don't know if this helps you much, the kids who attend West Middle will attend Collins and the kids who attend East Middle will attend Shelby Co.
While they are splitting up the two schools, the majority of the football talent comes from Shelby West which feeds into Martha Layne Collins.

I have heard that a lot more seniors are going to Martha Layne Collins instead of Shelby County, so that should help them out.
Just watch and See what I'm saying on this date..... You will soon see what I'm talking about....
Jarons Wrote:SCHS was a very good young team last year. I never did say Collins would win 4A. I said they could be a easily be a contender quickly if the right kids came, good match up in the playoffs etc. No where did I ever say 4A is a cakewalk either.

I am hearing Shelby had some very good seniors last season; especially on defense. Did Becherer used to be the head coach at Shelby at one time?
Becherer was the HC from the Mid/late 70s until some time in the late 90s. He played DB at UK and is from the Canton, OH area. I believe he coached at Shelbyville until it closed and then he moved to Shelby Co. From 76 to 93 he took Shelby Co to 4 state title games winning 1 against Boone Co in 87. I know in either 76 to 77 they lost to Highlands in the title game. He put together a few undefeated seasons and through part of the 80s and 90s had a hard time getting local games.

Unless things have changed a lot in the County a majority of the football players are from the West portion of the district. If you are not familar with the area it is hard to understand the amount of talent in that part of the district. The talent is there to be very good and be very good fast.

It is true that it has been awhile since Shelby Co has performed on a high level. The last time that was happening Becherer was the HC. Not many teams played tougher schedules duirng the early and mid 90s at least than Shelby Co. Unless he has changed he always liked even man fronts. He does not like to blitz much and plays very sound gap controll defense.
Thaks for the info. barrel
Are they going to have a field at the new school next year?
Yes and it will be fieldturf from my understanding.
Who is on Collins' schedule?
I heard Henry Co was trying to work out a game, but they would have to pay to get out of their scheduled game.
With budget cuts, deficits, etc...I doubt Henry can afford thousands to pay out to pick up this game. That would be foolish and would cast a bad light on the school and new coach. Schools need to honor the contracts they sign!
bigboy26 Wrote:With budget cuts, deficits, etc...I doubt Henry can afford thousands to pay out to pick up this game. That would be foolish and would cast a bad light on the school and new coach. Schools need to honor the contracts they sign!

Trimble may want out
Good luck to Lucas and the new school.
Old Henry Man Wrote:Trimble may want out

I wanted a 65 mustang when I was 16, couldn't afford it. Have a feeling that will be the same case with TC. I have been to 1 of their home games...I don't think they bring in the ching to start buying out contracts!
bigboy26 Wrote:With budget cuts, deficits, etc...I doubt Henry can afford thousands to pay out to pick up this game. That would be foolish and would cast a bad light on the school and new coach. Schools need to honor the contracts they sign!

Every team in the state should be under contract next year
Old Henry Man Wrote:Every team in the state should be under contract next year

Not if they start breaking a bunch of contracts!!!!
Pages: 1 2