Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Courier-Journal: Trinity's Josh Sewell plays like Mr. Basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The following story will appear in Monday's Louisville Courier-Journal:

History says a private-school kid from Louisville who has signed with a university in Ohio faces tough odds to win Kentucky's Mr.Basketball award.

But Trinity High School's Josh Sewell could be too good to deny this year.

As postseason play opens across the state Monday, there's no question that Sewell has emerged as a top candidate for Mr.Basketball.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...Basketball
Truth be told this year he should be the winner. He has carried this team through one of the toughest schedules in the state and played like a champ each night. He would get my vote hands down.
You cant deny Sewells resume. What a great athlete.

I can basically say with out much thought that Mr. Basketball is a two man race this season between JS, and Elsiha Justice. Either one could win, and I wouldnt be suprised.

Sewell has lead his team to the best record in KY, against arguallby the toughest record in KY. Trinity also has to be the favorite to win the Sweet 16 this season. The only knock is that Trinity hasnt won a regional title in his career.

EJ has had a brillant career. \
-He gonna break 2,000 points,
-He's the all time steals leader in KY
-2 All "A" state titles
-2 time All "A" MVP
-3 district titles and counting
-2 Regional titles and counting

If you look at the body of work of a career I would defintly give the nod to Elisha Justice. If you are looking for Mr Baskeball to go to the best player in the 2010 season, then I would give it to Sewell.

Good luck to both, and Im certain that both will have great futures at the next level
I wish that UK would atleast offer a walk on spot to these guys. Sometimes the Recruiting websites mess up, and guys fall through the cracks.

EJ is going to be a great role player for Louisville in due time. Josh Sewell will have a great career in the MAC, and be a horse for Miami.
The Iceboxx Wrote:You cant deny Sewells resume. What a great athlete.

I can basically say with out much thought that Mr. Basketball is a two man race this season between JS, and Elsiha Justice. Either one could win, and I wouldnt be suprised.

Sewell has lead his team to the best record in KY, against arguallby the toughest record in KY. Trinity also has to be the favorite to win the Sweet 16 this season. The only knock is that Trinity hasnt won a regional title in his career.

EJ has had a brillant career. \
-He gonna break 2,000 points,
-He's the all time steals leader in KY
-2 All "A" state titles
-2 time All "A" MVP
-3 district titles and counting
-2 Regional titles and counting

If you look at the body of work of a career I would defintly give the nod to Elisha Justice. If you are looking for Mr Baskeball to go to the best player in the 2010 season, then I would give it to Sewell.

Good luck to both, and Im certain that both will have great futures at the next level

I would have to agree with this!

Is it given to:

Best senior season- favor Sewell
Best career- favor Justice
Best college potential- favor Sewell
He has defintely made a case for consideration
The Iceboxx Wrote:I wish that UK would atleast offer a walk on spot to these guys. Sometimes the Recruiting websites mess up, and guys fall through the cracks.

EJ is going to be a great role player for Louisville in due time. Josh Sewell will have a great career in the MAC, and be a horse for Miami.

You really don't believe that do you?? He will NEVER leave the bench at UL unless they are up by 30. He reminds me a lot of Ty Proffitt from South Laural. Everybody had him blowed up and said he would be a star at Notre Dame. He never left the bench. He is no where close to a big east type guard. You people need to see things in a non-biased world and quit blowing these young kids up to something they are not.
The battle for Mr.Basketball is coming down to a battle between Sewell and Justice. It would not make me sad for either to win. I wish nothing but the best for the two at the next level. Make us proud in Ky!
I still think Josh Sewell is the front-runner for Mr. Basketball, as he has had an amazing season this year. Add in the fact that he is the best player on the #1 team in the state, and without question he would be very deserving of the award.

That said, Elisha Justice has had an amazing career topped off by a very impressive senior year as well, and would also make a worthy recipient. I don't think he will win, but it is certainly possible.

IMO, the only way Sewell does not win is if Trinity flames out in the 7th region tournament and doesn't even make it to Rupp. Considering they share the region with Ballard, Eastern, Seneca, Jeffersontown, etc., that is a decent possibility.
superfreak Wrote:You really don't believe that do you?? He will NEVER leave the bench at UL unless they are up by 30. He reminds me a lot of Ty Proffitt from South Laural. Everybody had him blowed up and said he would be a star at Notre Dame. He never left the bench. He is no where close to a big east type guard. You people need to see things in a non-biased world and quit blowing these young kids up to something they are not.

That's goofy thinking. Proffitt didn't leave the bench because he was too slow to play in the Big East. Pittino has knicknamed Justice "Bullet" as in "faster than a speeding"
I don't think speed is an issue for Justice
He will have the quickest feet on the Louisville roster
He will be the second option at point as a freshman and work up from there
dejavu Wrote:That's goofy thinking. Proffitt didn't leave the bench because he was too slow to play in the Big East. Pittino has knicknamed Justice "Bullet" as in "faster than a speeding"
I don't think speed is an issue for Justice
He will have the quickest feet on the Louisville roster
He will be the second option at point as a freshman and work up from there

Boy, you don't watch much basketball do you?
there is no way justice will be the second option at point guard for louisville. peyton siva will start and without a doubt rick pitino will get another point guard or two. you people need to get real.
Sorry but Justice will not be the back-up PG...He will be like Jon Hood for UK IMO
Coming from a non SV follower, I have to disagree that EJ will not a be solid role player for U of L, in due time. If he can stick out the constant grind of playing for a Rick Pitino, he will get his shot. He is much more athletic than Ty Profitt and IMO is a much better high school player. He has the quickness and strenght to play in the Big East, something most coming out of high school do not. If he can improve his shot some and improve his fundmentals on defense, I see no reason why he couldnt play, but I do believe it will take time for him to adjust to that level of play.
if hes lucky he might play 5 or 10 minutes a game his junior or senior year. maybe.
He will never play at UL. Never! He would be a good NAIA player. He could play for a Georgtown College, but I'M NOT Sure he could start for Gtown. Some of you folks just live in a dream land and don't understand the caliber of player it takes to play major college bb. He would not be a star in NAIA.
IMO he shouldnt of walked on to Louisville...He should of got his schooling paid for...i mean where was he getting looks from?
superfreak Wrote:He will never play at UL. Never! He would be a good NAIA player. He could play for a Georgtown College, but I'M NOT Sure he could start for Gtown. Some of you folks just live in a dream land and don't understand the caliber of player it takes to play major college bb. He would not be a star in NAIA.

funny!!:thatsfunn
Rick Pitino must see something in him, to go watch justice play serveal times.,

or otherwise he wouldn't be waistin his time on a mountain boy
but I agree with most post on here. Sewell is the favor right now. Runner up would be Justice.

Sewell is having a great senior year!!
I guess you posters who think he can't play at that level know more about it than Pitino or several other D1 coaches who wanted him. He is better than Preston Knowles was coming out of high school and look at the contributions he had made over the past few years.
NYY10 Wrote:funny!!:thatsfunn
Rick Pitino must see something in him, to go watch justice play serveal times.,

or otherwise he wouldn't be waistin his time on a mountain boy

Justice is WALKING ON. That is just the point Pitino is NOT WASTING TIME ON HIM. Pitino is letting Justice pay for his own way to school. Yeah he must think a lot of him.
Super-Card Wrote:Justice is WALKING ON. That is just the point Pitino is NOT WASTING TIME ON HIM. Pitino is letting Justice pay for his own way to school. Yeah he must think a lot of him.

I know I am speaking off the topic but you must not know anything about the recruiting process and what is involved in it. As being apart of it my self a few years ago they are the possibility of him walking on and then receiving a scholarship his soph. or junior year which is still great. But knowing Elisha personally he will get his school paid for either way because of his academics. I would think people would be proud of a kid from KY going to a in-state college especially Louisville but i guess im wrong.
Oh...and btw either one of these kids would represent KY well as being Mr. Basketball so good luck to both of them in the rest of their HS and college careers.
You guys are forgeting about some very good players in saying this is a two horse race between Sewell and Justice.

Sewell is hands down the favorite at this point.

After him, I think you could lump Elijah Pittman, Chad Jackson, Aaron Watts, Elijah Justice, and several others in the same group as runner up candidates.

Aaron Watts of McCreary Central has had a better career than ANY other senior in KY. He just recently topped the 3,000 point mark for his career.

Pittman is averaging 17 and 8 against a top 10 schedule.

Jackson is averaging 18 and 8 against a top 10 schedule.

Then there's Justice. He is no doubt talented enough to win the award but the lack of quality competition will be the reason he doesn't get it. Jonathon Ferguson had better numbers than EJ last year and he didn't win the award. Some of you don't realize what it takes to win this if you think EJ is going to finish runner up.
I Think Sewell Will Win It Because Of What All His Team Has Done This Season
kywldcat01 Wrote:You guys are forgeting about some very good players in saying this is a two horse race between Sewell and Justice.

Sewell is hands down the favorite at this point.

After him, I think you could lump Elijah Pittman, Chad Jackson, Aaron Watts, Elijah Justice, and several others in the same group as runner up candidates.

Aaron Watts of McCreary Central has had a better career than ANY other senior in KY. He just recently topped the 3,000 point mark for his career.

Pittman is averaging 17 and 8 against a top 10 schedule.

Jackson is averaging 18 and 8 against a top 10 schedule.

Then there's Justice. He is no doubt talented enough to win the award but the lack of quality competition will be the reason he doesn't get it. Jonathon Ferguson had better numbers than EJ last year and he didn't win the award. Some of you don't realize what it takes to win this if you think EJ is going to finish runner up.

We aren't necessarily the ones saying it's a two-horse race. That sentiment was made by the linked article from the Louisville Courier-Journal, and was based on an informal poll of coaches around the state. So it's not just a bunch of people from eastern KY who think Justice is a viable candidate.

As for Sewell, I already stated that I agree he is the definite favorite at this point. Considering the season he has had to this point, I think he probably should win it. But I think you are too quick to dismiss Justice's candidacy. While I feel he is a long shot to win, I think he has a VERY strong chance at finishing second.