Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley @ Jeffersontown 2/20: Broadcast 103.1 www.wpke.com
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This game apparently just added to the schedule.

Thoughts?
Nice matchup with two of the best point guards in the state with Jackson and Justice.

Jtown will be giving up size but has the edge in athletic ability and depth. SV has to rebound well or they will be in trouble as Jtown thrives on second chance points.

Jtown has been struggling as of late so I would not be shocked if SV pulls the upset at Jtown.

Prediction- Jtown 73 SV67
A great matchup of two of Kentucky's top teams as Shelby Valley and Jeffersontown have one last tuneup before starting post-season play.

While SV is the consensus pick to win the 15th region and advance to Rupp, Jeffersontown would also be considered a strong state title contender if they can get out of a ridiculously tough 7th region. J-town's record currently sits at 18-6, against a very challenging schedule including such teams as Trinity, Ballard, Eastern, Seneca, and Manual.

The teams played most recently during the 07/08 season, when J-town defeated Shelby Valley 75-70 at home, in the championship of their own Gaslight Classic.

I expect a good game, but with SV playing on the road at Perry Central the night before, then having to turn around and head to Louisville the next morning, I don't see the Wildcats pulling this one out. I'll say J-town wins by 9.
loubballfan Wrote:Nice matchup with two of the best point guards in the state with Jackson and Justice.

Jtown will be giving up size but has the edge in athletic ability and depth. SV has to rebound well or they will be in trouble as Jtown thrives on second chance points.

Jtown has been struggling as of late so I would not be shocked if SV pulls the upset at Jtown.

Prediction- Jtown 73 SV67

Interesting that you say that SV has the edge in size, because I would have figured differently. Valley is not a team that has imposing size, at least not compared to last year (they graduated their two big guys in 09).

Valley's size consists mainly of Ashley Hatfield, who although he is the tallest starter plays mostly on the wing, and Taylor Newsome, who is only about 6'2" but gets a lot of rebounds by effort and positioning.

What are the heights of J-town's starting five?
This is random.
Aslan Wrote:This is random.

What do you mean?
More Cowbell Wrote:What do you mean?

Not in a bad way. A game between two top ten teams just pops up on the schedule the last weekend of the regular season. I'm sure it will prepare both teams for the post season. Valley is definitely at a disadvantage playing @ PCC the night before. I'll be pulling for the Wildcats.
Aslan Wrote:Not in a bad way. A game between two top ten teams just pops up on the schedule the last weekend of the regular season. I'm sure it will prepare both teams for the post season. Valley is definitely at a disadvantage playing @ PCC the night before. I'll be pulling for the Wildcats.

Gotcha. :Thumbs:

I admit I was surprised when I saw this game appear on the schedule, but if you notice there have been several games between top teams added in the last week or so. I also remember Elliott and Ballard played each other in a late add-on last season.
Kudos to Shelby Valley for making this game happen. It will give them a chance to prepare for March, and only help them in the long run. Very smart move to get outside of the 15th and face a top 10 team before they get to Rupp.
tezzy859 Wrote:Kudos to Shelby Valley for making this game happen. It will give them a chance to prepare for March, and only help them in the long run. Very smart move to get outside of the 15th and face a top 10 team before they get to Rupp.

I agree. Shelby Valley's coaching staff has taken some criticism for their less-than-stellar schedule this season, and deservedly so. Hats off to Booher and company for setting up a great game that will only make them better come March.
Alot of top 15 teams added good games this week with each other:
Iroquois at Trinity
Shelby Valley at Jefferson
Seneca at Scott County
So much for Valley shying away from the top competition
I think J-Town will win by 5-10 points.
Coach Booher just emailed and asked me to put this game on here, but I saw that More Cowbell had already done that. He said it would help prepare them for the back to back regional games and hopefully the state tournament. He also said Pitino and McCarty will be there. They will be stopping by on the way back from a game against Depaul in Chicago.

Very good move on the part of Coach Booher. He is looking at the big picture in a couple of weeks.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Very good move on the part of Coach Booher. He is looking at the big picture in a couple of weeks.
I agree... should tell them where they are or are not in comparison to State Tournament level competition.
I like the idea of playing good teams before tournament time. The caliber of competition on the last weekend of the season simulates the back to back games that they would encounter if they were to advance in the state tournament. On the flip side this could be disasterous should the Wildcats lose two and bruise their confidence or even worse get and injury to a key player.
This is indeed a tough game for SV after the tough match-up with PCC, and then traveling to Jefferstown, but have to agree with Coach Booher for helping to make it happen. Does anyone know what McCarty's responsibilities are at Louisville, does he have a lot to do with coaching the guards?. Go SV!
anybody know what time this game will be.
Im gonna asume it will be a night game considering Valley will travel to PC and then to Jeffersontown in the morning
dortonite Wrote:This is indeed a tough game for SV after the tough match-up with PCC, and then traveling to Jefferstown, but have to agree with Coach Booher for helping to make it happen. Does anyone know what McCarty's responsibilities are at Louisville, does he have a lot to do with coaching the guards?. Go SV!

Let me give kudos to SV for this pick-up game. I have questioned their schedule to date but this shows the coach's confidence in the team that they deserve.

Best of luck!
More Cowbell Wrote:Interesting that you say that SV has the edge in size, because I would have figured differently. Valley is not a team that has imposing size, at least not compared to last year (they graduated their two big guys in 09).

Valley's size consists mainly of Ashley Hatfield, who although he is the tallest starter plays mostly on the wing, and Taylor Newsome, who is only about 6'2" but gets a lot of rebounds by effort and positioning.

What are the heights of J-town's starting five?

Jtown has several 6'3"athletic kids. They will really attack the glass for the offensive rebounds. Blocking out is key as they will outjump you!
tezzy859 Wrote:Kudos to Shelby Valley for making this game happen. It will give them a chance to prepare for March, and only help them in the long run. Very smart move to get outside of the 15th and face a top 10 team before they get to Rupp.

Could be a Sweet 16 preview if J-town (and SV) can make it to Rupp.

J-town by 5, but I'll be rooting for the team from the mountains.
Completely see the reasoning with this game from multiple standpoints. Valley as mentioned before will be getting GOOD tests on back to back nights, which is absolutely the right timing to give the team more experience. This also gives Elisha one last chance to shine in front of his future coach against another highly touted pg. I really love this idea for Valley to give the players experience of road games back to back, a lot like what Christian Co. earlier this year. Still for the actual game on Sat. I do not think that Valley could hang with a team like J-town after a tough scrappy at PCC. I am going to pick J-town by 8 but I still will not be surprised if a slight upset was to occur. Go cats, and could back 2-0 on the road trip.
LCDAWGS19 Wrote:Could be a Sweet 16 preview if J-town (and SV) can make it to Rupp.

J-town by 5, but I'll be rooting for the team from the mountains.

I always support the mountain school, unless they are playing my team.

I also agree that this is a great game for SV to add to their schedule. Win or lose, it will prepare them for the post season. That is what the regular season is all about anyways.
I don't see McCarty coaching the guards when he was a center, or at the least a power forward.
j-town by 7
mrsportsfan Wrote:I don't see McCarty coaching the guards when he was a center, or at the least a power forward.

That would be interesting. All 6'10", 230lbs of him. :biggrin:
LCDawg Wrote:That would be interesting. All 6'10", 230lbs of him. :biggrin:
Magic Johnson coached a lot of guards at 6ft8 220+ pounds, look at Lebron James, what does your size have to do with coaching? Just like to know the reasoning in your thinking. McCarty was at the first game with Pitino when Justice lit it up, that is why I questioned his return appearance. By the way, I have seen 5 ft 8 coaches, coach 7 footers.
dortonite Wrote:Magic Johnson coached a lot of guards at 6ft8 220+ pounds, look at Lebron James, what does your size have to do with coaching? Just like to know the reasoning in your thinking. McCarty was at the first game with Pitino when Justice lit it up, that is why I questioned his return appearance. By the way, I have seen 5 ft 8 coaches, coach 7 footers.
Magic Johnson/Lebron James actually PLAYED/PLAYS the guard position though, McCarty never came close, that is my reasoning. No Need to take it personal.
NYY10 Wrote:anybody know what time this game will be.
Im gonna asume it will be a night game considering Valley will travel to PC and then to Jeffersontown in the morning
Shows as being 2/20 at 7:30 @ JTown.

Going on Win/Loses alone they are the 6th best team in the 7th. Should be an interesting matchup.

Good Luck SV, make EKY proud!
Is Shelby Valley going to Travel to PCC tonight, and then come back to Pikeville. Then leave to make it to Louisville to play J*town on sat night, or they just gonna leave from Hazard.
Pages: 1 2