Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Trinity 86, Iroquois 57
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TRINITY BASKETBALL

February 17, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

No. 1 Trinity Rolls Over Iroquois
Senior Clayton Netherton Hits Four Three-Pointers For Rocks

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – No. 1 Trinity rolled past Iroquois 86-57 to win its 22nd consecutive game on Wednesday night in Steinhauser Gymnasium.
Trinity held the state’s highest scoring team, Iroquois, to just 57 points.

Senior Clayton Netherton hit four first quarter three-point field goals after making his first career start on Senior Night in the win for the Shamrocks. He finished with 14 points, four assists, three rebounds, three steals and a block.

Senior Josh Sewell finished with 15 points to lead the Shamrocks.

Trinity won its 22nd consecutive games and has won 24 of its last 25 games overall.

The Shamrocks improved to 24-2 on the season with the win, the best start in program history, surpassing the 23-3 mark through 26 games in 2004-2005.

In a pregame ceremony, Trinity honored six members of the Class of 2010 that were playing their final game in Steinhauser Gymnasium. Clayton Netherton, Josh Sewell, Aaron Bisig, Taylor Epley, Daniel Corbett and Dylan Kupper were recognized during the ceremony. In addition, eight senior cheerleaders were recognized.

Trinity closes out the regular season on Friday, Feb. 19, 2010 at DeSales when it takes on the Colts at 7:30 p.m. Trinity opens postseason play on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010 against Seneca in the first round of the 27th District Tournament at Ballard. Tipoff is set for 7:30 p.m.

Postgame Notes
• Trinity improved to 8-1 in senior night games during the Mike Szabo era, having won two straight.
• Trinity has won 22 straight games, a school record. The Rocks have won 24 of their last 25 games overall.
• Trinity’s 22-game streak is the second longest in the Seventh Region since the start of the 2001-2002 season. Only a 26-game streak by Ballard during the 2006-2007 season is longer.
• The 24-2 record through 26 games is the best 26-game mark in program history. The previous best was 23-3 during the 2004-2005 season.
• Trinity is 46-10 over the last two seasons. The 46 wins are among the best marks in any two-year period in program history. The record for a two-year span is 48 wins.
• Trinity is 14-0 in the 2010 calendar year.
• Trinity closed out the home portion of its schedule with a 5-2 mark, playing just seven home games. It was the fewest home games played since 2005-2006 when the team also played just seven games in Steinhauser Gymnasium.
• Trinity has won five straight home games.
• Trinity improved to 40-26 in the month of February under Mike Szabo, including a 5-0 record this year.
• Trinity’s five wins in the month of February are the most for the Rocks since they also won five in Feb. 2006.
• The game was just the second against a team from the Sixth Region. Trinity defeated Holy Cross 66-46 on Jan. 6, 2010 in Steinhauser Gymnasium. The Shamrocks will also face DeSales on Friday.
• Trinity has hit a three-point basket in 89 consecutive games, a streak dating to the 2006-2007 season. It is the longest streak since an 88 game streak that lasted from 2003-2006.

Line Score 1 2 3 4 Final Records
Iroquois 16 16 9 16 57 19-7
Trinity 24 26 20 16 86 24-2
Iroquois (57)- Jackson 20, S. Gibbs 2, Tolliver 15, Whitlock 9, D. Gibbs 11
Trinity (86)- Corbett 7, Netherton 14, Saxton 3, Foster 5, Quick 4, Diuedonne 4, Sewell 15, Armstrong 8, Epley 9, Bisig 7, Kupper 10
Three-Point Field Goals- Corbett, Netherton 4, Bisig, Tolliver, Whitlock 3, D. Gibbs
The 6th region is as down as I can ever remember. It just so happens the 7th is loaded on the same year. Trinity has had a great year, but getting out of the 7th is going to be rough on either Trinity, Ballard, or Eastern.
I didn't expect Trinity to put it on Iroquois this bad.

Congrats Shamrocks!
Congrats Trinity. They continue to roll and will do so for a while in my opinion. This will be a fantastic region to watch in the coming weeks.
Congrats Trinity!
Trinity is the best team in the state. They've proved it so far anyway.
29 point victory over another top 20 team is pretty impressive. I think Ballard and Trinity have distanced themselves from the rest of the pack. Congrats Trinity.
dortonite Wrote:29 point victory over another top 20 team is pretty impressive. I think Ballard and Trinity have distanced themselves from the rest of the pack. Congrats Trinity.

They really have. It is going to be a hard draw to knock them off.
Congrats Trinity!
Congrats Trinity ~ can't wait to play ya!!! Not me - but my team :1: