Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Elderly Turn To Drug Dealing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This article was in almost every newspaper in the US and even in Canada... It was done by the Associated Press...It is from Prestonsburg so I thought it may interest people...
Also, Floyd County Jailer Roger Webb talked live on a radio station in Chicago last week about the article..

AP) Dottie Neeley, 87, was fingerprinted, photographed and thrown in jail, imprisoned as much by the tubing from her oxygen tank as by the concrete and steel around her.

The woman — who spent two days in jail after her arrest last December — is among a growing number of Kentucky senior citizens charged in a crackdown on a crime authorities say is rampant in Appalachia: Elderly people are reselling their painkillers and other medications to addicts.

"When a person is on Social Security, drawing $500 a month, and they can sell their pain pills for $10 apiece, they'll take half of them for themselves and sell the other half to pay their electric bills or buy groceries," Floyd County jailer Roger Webb said.

Since April 2004, Operation UNITE, a Kentucky anti-drug task force crated largely in response to rampant abuse of the powerful and sometimes lethal painkiller OxyContin, has charged more than 40 people 60 or older with selling primarily prescription drugs in the mountains.

"It used to be a rare occasion to have an elderly inmate," Webb said. "Five years ago it was a rarity."

Local jails are having to bear the increased cost of caring for old and often sickly inmates.

"You've got to give them more attention," Webb said. "It's putting a strain on my deputies. We're understaffed anyway. You've got to get them doctors, and meet their medical needs."

Researchers suspect the problem is not limited to Appalachia.

Elderly people "may be looking for a way to bring in a little extra money," said Erin Artigiani, deputy director of the University of Maryland Center for Substance Abuse Research. "We haven't heard a lot about senior citizens being a source of those drugs. We know college students do this. It's not much a stretch to think that seniors could do it, too."

Dr. Anita Cornett, a physician in Hyden, said one of her patients, a reformed drug addict, told her that he bought all his drugs not from a known dealer, but from elderly people.

Cornett said she does random drug screenings to make sure her patients are taking their prescription drugs instead of selling them. In addition, staffers routinely call patients and ask them to bring their prescription bottles in so that the pills can be counted.

The Rev. Doug Abner, pastor of Community Church in Manchester and an anti-drug activist, said senior citizens may not understand the seriousness of selling prescription drugs.

"They justify it because they're having a hard time financially," he said. "Left to ourselves, we can justify anything, but they're really part of the problem."

However, Dan Smoot, a former state police drug detective who heads the task force, said the elderly people being charged are not necessarily struggling to put food on the table.

"Most of the elderly we arrest are merely continuing a family tradition," he said. "It has been part of their culture for a long time."

Neeley, the old woman who was arrested along with her son and his girlfriend, faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted of trafficking in prescription drugs as well as marijuana.

However, a prosecutor has agreed not to oppose "shock probation" if Neeley enters a guilty plea at her next court appearance, Dec. 29. Under shock probation, a defendant who is unlikely to repeat the crime is released after getting a brief taste of life behind bars.

Her attorney, Terry Jacobs, said the plea bargain would be a gamble, because the judge could decide not to grant her shock probation, and "six months is a death sentence for her."

In a telephone interview, Neeley denied selling drugs. She said she suffers from emphysema and asthma and sometimes uses a wheelchair. She said she was shocked when police arrived to arrest her and made the 4-foot 8-inch, 120-pound woman walk from her house to a cruiser.

"I had to hold my hands up all the way," she said. "They wouldn't let me hold them down."

Her lawyer declined to discuss specifics of the charges. But speaking generally, he said: "You've got a depressed economy. You've got an opportunity for these folks to make money. If you're seeing a disproportionate number of elderly, it's because they are the people who are going to be prescribed most of the drugs."

here's a couple links
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/12/elderl...index.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/1...2297.shtml
Great articles.
I saw this on WSAZ a couple of weeks ago.
Sad to hear and I know that it goes on but it shouldn't.
The elderly really do have a hard time supporting themselves because of low set income and having to resort to sell drugs, it really is heartbreaking.
I don't care if people are struggling to make ends meet or not...They're part of the problem and just contributing to it...Kentucky has a bad enough name as it is and selling drugs to make extra money is NEVER justifiable...I have no respect for anyone that sells drugs, and I don't care if they're struggling to put food on the table or not...Theres no excuse for it at all...Old or not they should have the book thrown at them...If they start taking it easy on people for this then everyone else will see that it's ok if they're poor and do that to make money and Appalachia will never grow out of it...But everyone of their asses....

"They justify it because they're having a hard time financially," he said. "Left to ourselves, we can justify anything, but they're really part of the problem."

Exactly...

Her lawyer declined to discuss specifics of the charges. But speaking generally, he said: "You've got a depressed economy. You've got an opportunity for these folks to make money. If you're seeing a disproportionate number of elderly, it's because they are the people who are going to be prescribed most of the drugs."

What's her lawyer even mean by this? What a moron..Who cares if they're getting an opportunity to make extra money? I don't know what it is about that quote but something tells me that's the cheapest **** lawyer in town..BY FAR
Good post alfus.

Her lawyer was probably Eric C. Conn. lol

People in Eastern Kentucky face hardships. Many women are housewifes and many men are coal miners. We don't have a thriving economy. Our elderly have very low set incomes. They bring in a month what average families bring in every two weeks or less. I don't see where they think selling drugs would help their situation though. It does indeed make money, everyone can see that, but people get caught. Daily. UNITE is working hard to take pillpushers off from the streets. They set up investigations and watch people for months to gather enough evidence and charges to put them behind bars for a VERY long time instead of just busting them with one pill and in turn getting them a slap on the wrist. Elderly, poor, young, and rich all should have the same punishment and the punishment should be harsh. Getting these people off the streets and out of people's lives may give them time to think about what they have done, let them sit there and decide that they never want to be there again..Users will eventually decline when the distributors are gone.

It's a weird situation with drugs but alot of dealers won't just sell to everyone. They have to know the people and have trust in them because they don't want to get caught. If a user's dealer gets put behind bars then they have a much harder time buying some drugs the next time that they need them. If this happens enough and communities are targeted, a little at a time users will just have to decrease the rate that they are buying and hopefully end up without a hit every time that they go out and the problem will be stopped.

Maybe not everyone here knows the deal with the KSP but the police departments in this area are as much involved with the pushing of pills as the dealers are. They don't catch people they are leading big drug rings instead they are protecting them. Officers that are high up in the department, not just standard officers are warning dealers of upcoming busts, giving them time to get rid of the evidence before a raid and such, and in doing so the problem will never be solved as well as it could be.

The police should HELP the community and make it a better place by taking the drugs away from people of all ages. Kids are getting involved younger and younger every year. UNITE is working with good officers, not the crooks, and are going around police and making their own busts. This program is truely helping Applachia. When you see the big busts on the front page of the newspaper, don't ever think that it is the Kentucky State Police department making the raids in the counties of Eastern Kentucky and rounding up all of these pills and other drugs and getting these people out of our community. It is NOT the police, it's the UNITE program. UNITE is starting programs with schools and within communities for people to come together and help get these problem solved.

Sorry that I wrote a novel guys, it is just that this problem affects all of us. We all know people that are having drug problems whether it be a friend, family member, someone that we have lost to this addiction, an old friend that we severed ties with because of their problem....Drug addiction touches us all. Sorry that I got off topic, just very passionate about solving this problem by any means possible.
The only problem with UNITE is they are taking the small drug dealers off the street... where are these people getting their drugs.. they need to find that source to really stop the problem
That's very true too but the way that I look at it, they have to start somewhere.
Eventually I think that the dealers they are getting will talk and they will have some names and will be able to go after the runners that bring it into the area.
The source of ALOT of the quantity of drugs are the doctors.
Usually around 50% of the people arrested on the drug busts are brought in for doctor shopping then the other half for trafficking... I agree they have to start somewhere and they are doing a great job.. it's just the problem will never be solved until the major drug dealers are found.. but getting any drug dealer off the street is a good thing
I hear that. I think with time the major dealers will be found and brought to justice. The drugs go through so many hands that it is hard to find the source of them instantly but if time is what is needed, then time is what they shall get. Things won't happen overnight with an investigation and any process dealing with the law takes so much time. But eventually it will be getting better. People are starting to help out more and provide people with much needed information. Schools have been cracking down, communities are backing the programs, and people are doing alot to help build the programs.

Doctor shopping is a big problem around here. Lots of them are starting to get their practices taken away from them too. I think that if they contribute to the problem then they should never be allowed to be a doctor again. They are using their power for evil and not good. They see more people in a day that just want painkillers than they do actually sick people.

The justice system needs to scare trafficers. They need to make examples out of people and that will make out dealers out there think "Is it really worth having THAT punishment over?" and stuff like that. Make them get their money in a clean, honest way like everyone has to do. I am tired of tax dollars being wasted on people that can go out and work. I am tired of my parent's hard earned money being used to support people that have no real job and sit at home and collect numerous checks every month but can go out and buy new vehicles and ATV's and deal drugs and make thousands and thousands of dollars each month. It's ridiculous.
I agree with you about being tired of them sitting home when they are capable of working and people working having to keep them up.. Most people brought in on these roundups are unemployed and draw SSI... I guess we can thank Eric C. Conn for that.. since he has a billboard every 10 feet trying to get everybody in eastern KY to sign up
Exactly.
That is why I made my comment about Eric C. Conn earlier too when alfus said that she had the cheapest lawyer.
He may get people help when they need it but he also gets people that are capable of working on SSI as well and takes money away from those who do need it and can't sign up.
I know this is offtopic but there have been cases where people have been granted their Black Lung without ever working the mines yet people such as my grandfather who worked in the mines all of his lung, got black lung, and lung cancer then passed away could not get Black Lung and my grandmother, his widow, cannot get any help.
I hope something can be done because I have buried 3 of my best friends in the past 5 years.
Very sorry to hear that PHS.

That is exactly what I mean though, that everyone is touched by this.