Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Craziest Atmosphere.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is the craziest atmosphere that you can remember at a high school football game? I would have to say when belfry played prestonsburgh back in 2004 at the old vipperman stadium. The game went into overtime and doug howard scored a touchdown and belfry won. If you ask any pirate fateful out there, it was probably the most attended belfry high school game ever
Estill County vs. Garrard County (this past year), Estill County vs. Powell County (Always), ALL Estill County Football Games are Crazy and Exciting
I think it was '96 when Highlands played Leslie County at Highlands. It was Tim Couch's senior year and last game. Helicopters were landing in Death Valley and it was crazy. Highlands won but the media was for Couch. Not a good game for the media to show up to if they were expecting much from Couch.Confusedhh:

Also this year the Highlands vs. Cincinnati St. X game was electric. :Clap:
Meade Co. is also nicknamed "death valley". It's a really tough place to play. The conditions are horrible. The locker rooms are deplorable, the field is down in a hole and the crowd is ON TOP of you. Not a fun place if your not part of the Green Wave.
2006 Region Championship Rockcastle at Johnson central
ole ball coach Wrote:Meade Co. is also nicknamed "death valley". It's a really tough place to play. The conditions are horrible. The locker rooms are deplorable, the field is down in a hole and the crowd is ON TOP of you. Not a fun place if your not part of the Green Wave.

At Highlands, the practice field is called Death Valley. However, Highlands is still a tuff place to play, the conditions are horrible, the locker rooms are deplorable and the crowd is literally on top of you. From what I gather from opponents, it is not an easy place to play.:biggrin:
High school atmospheres tend to be pretty tame overall.

Boyle County's 2001 win against Danville at Admiral Stadium featured two of the top teams in the state. Several thousand people were there and it had the feel of a college game.

Boyle's 2003 regular season win over Highlands was a nail biter in front of a huge crowd in Danville.

Boyle's semi final win over Bell County was pretty intense. Neither team expected to lose the game and Bell and their fans were in shock as the Rebels celebrated for what seemed like an eternity.
I know this is thinking a little outside the box....
but if the Hazard City school system ever decides to lift the ban against playing Perry Central....
That game will be the most intense ever
This may not be the best game but it was the best hs football game I ever saw. Breathitt County at Lawrence County 1997. Breathitt was 45-o over three years and coming off two straight 2A championships. Breathitt came to Lawrence County for the regional championship on this odd year. The crowd was crazy. Lawrence County had just dropped down from 3A where they could never get past Highland. Lawrence County had the best mixed offense between run and pass. Also, Philip Ratliff at defense came with a sheme to pressure Breathitt and challenge their recievers at the line. It paid off and Lawrence won. However, the emotional victory caused them to be flat the next week at Bourbon Co. Chuke William, may he rest in peace, lost his best chance for a state championship that year. Many players on that team went on to play in college 1A ball. The goalposts were torn down and Chuke solidified himself as a prolific offensive coach
tradition Wrote:I think it was '96 when Highlands played Leslie County at Highlands. It was Tim Couch's senior year and last game. Helicopters were landing in Death Valley and it was crazy. Highlands won but the media was for Couch. Not a good game for the media to show up to if they were expecting much from Couch.Confusedhh:

That was '95. Almost positive. Either way, great call!
2006 3A State Semi-final game at Johnson Central against Cov. Cath. It was absolutely electric.
Harry Doyle Wrote:That was '95. Almost positive. Either way, great call!

Thanks. At my age, I'm lucky if I can remember yesterdays date.:biggrin:
Belfry/Pburg 2004 Playoffs

There were literally people climbing trees on the hillside to watch the game. If the Fire Marshall wasn't in attendence he would have shut the game down!
tradition Wrote:I think it was '96 when Highlands played Leslie County at Highlands. It was Tim Couch's senior year and last game. Helicopters were landing in Death Valley and it was crazy. Highlands won but the media was for Couch. Not a good game for the media to show up to if they were expecting much from Couch.Confusedhh:

I went to the Highlands/Leslie game, and as ewxciting at it was... it wasn't close to Moeller vs. Elder in "The Pit"!

same two games I would pick. If I remember correctly, Couch was not able to score on HHS (and set the state record) until one of the last plays of the game when the subs were in the game.
Easily SC vs Belfry at vipperman stadium in the 98 regional championships. Belfry fans were shaking our fan bus after the game. Came over for a time out and remember a kid throwing a cup of ice and pop at our huddle.
sstack Wrote:same two games I would pick. If I remember correctly, Couch was not able to score on HHS (and set the state record) until one of the last plays of the game when the subs were in the game.

Couch's last high school pass in that game was an interception.
zaga_fan Wrote:I know this is thinking a little outside the box....
but if the Hazard City school system ever decides to lift the ban against playing Perry Central....
That game will be the most intense ever

I really couldn't of said it better myself. Hazard Vs. PCC games are always an adrenaline rush.
Rash Stadium at Owensboro is tough atmosphere to get used to, turf in an old stadium with the fans right on top of you.
Matman Wrote:Easily SC vs Belfry at vipperman stadium in the 98 regional championships. Belfry fans were shaking our fan bus after the game. Came over for a time out and remember a kid throwing a cup of ice and pop at our huddle.

verry intense games with sheldon clark and pikeville almost every year in the 90sTongueirateShoTongueirateSho
wildest game for me was last year bell vrs lawerance co .the excitement started during warmups and ended at the final horn.:1:
Highlands is just flat crazy! If you play their and are not a bluebird...then you know what I am talking about!
Im going to go old school on this one. I believe it was 1985, AAA semis, at Newport on the river. Cold and windy with a packed visitors sideline full of Belfry fans. BTW a Pirate victory made it seem considerably less cold.
bulldogfan Wrote:This may not be the best game but it was the best hs football game I ever saw. Breathitt County at Lawrence County 1997. Breathitt was 45-o over three years and coming off two straight 2A championships. Breathitt came to Lawrence County for the regional championship on this odd year. The crowd was crazy. Lawrence County had just dropped down from 3A where they could never get past Highland. Lawrence County had the best mixed offense between run and pass. Also, Philip Ratliff at defense came with a sheme to pressure Breathitt and challenge their recievers at the line. It paid off and Lawrence won. However, the emotional victory caused them to be flat the next week at Bourbon Co. Chuke William, may he rest in peace, lost his best chance for a state championship that year. Many players on that team went on to play in college 1A ball. The goalposts were torn down and Chuke solidified himself as a prolific offensive coach
That was a great game. But it was a "mud" bowl and Breathitt would have beaten LC by 2-3 td's on a dry field. That game was memorable though, great atmosphere!
Keepnitreal Wrote:2006 3A State Semi-final game at Johnson Central against Cov. Cath. It was absolutely electric.

Good call. The stands were overrun and the field had people standing all the way around it. The parking lot even had people watching over into the field. That was a great atmosphere. And the music being played was great.
wooderson Wrote:Im going to go old school on this one. I believe it was 1985, AAA semis, at Newport on the river. Cold and windy with a packed visitors sideline full of Belfry fans. BTW a Pirate victory made it seem considerably less cold.

That game is a blast from the past. COLD and windy was an understatement, plus one of the charter buses broke down on the way home stranding part of the team.
throw deep Wrote:That game is a blast from the past. COLD and windy was an understatement, plus one of the charter buses broke down on the way home stranding part of the team.

I completely forgot about the bus, I guess my memory is slipping me. Actually you could throw in the '86 AAA semis, Belfry vs. Danville but Im afraid the "fire truck" stories might rehash themselves.:biggrin:
two years ago north oldham vs owen county there was no love in the air and a big midfield brawl broke out it was very mermorable
also gallatin vs owen cops had to be called in after the game the player from gallatin was waiting for the owen county boy to come to the endzone after owen had won
Any football game played at Lone Oak High School.
1982 Highlands vs CovCath @ Highlands standing room only,Highlands wins in OT on 4down Highlands running back jumps over the line for a score. Best two teams in the state at that time.
Pages: 1 2