Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Unsigned Players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if this is a post somewhere else, but I'm curious of which HS football studs didn't sign anywhere. 4 players that come to mind:

Lavance Anderson-BGHS
Ricky Buckler-Bellevue
Charles Quanno-Boone Co.
Nick West-Conner

Are these young men going to walk-on? If so, where? Play a different sport (track, baseball,etc)? I understand that not all good HS players go on to play college ball, but these young men were studs.

Who else am I forgetting?
Rob Van Winkle Wrote:I don't know if this is a post somewhere else, but I'm curious of which HS football studs didn't sign anywhere. 4 players that come to mind:

Lavance Anderson-BGHS
Ricky Buckler-Bellevue
Charles Quanno-Boone Co.
Nick West-Conner

Are these young men going to walk-on? If so, where? Play a different sport (track, baseball,etc)? I understand that not all good HS players go on to play college ball, but these young men were studs.

Who else am I forgetting?

Jordan Amis - Perry Central but he might be gonna wait til baseball season is over with and go from there
Randen Collett from Leslie...
Between Morehead, Kentucky State, and The Cumberlands...
Michael Burchett from Prestonsburg.
Austin McKinney from Prestonsburg.
Jordan Robison - Union County quarterback

I am amazed this kid has not signed anywhere. Really has not had any serious offers. Union County does not promote it's athletes like some schools. He was at a disadvantage because he has had three coaches in his four years and the coach he had for his sophomore and junior seasons left before his senior season and those two years were his best, losing to Central in the 3A semis his junior year. Coach Scroggins called him one of the best q-backs they had faced after that game. He is a passing q-back and throws the ball very well. He has set all passing records at Union County that will probably not be broken for a long time, if ever. He has started at ss on the baseball team since the 8th grade and has offers in baseball but the word is he wants to play football if given a chance. He would be a steal for some program. Very few schools know about him. By the way, he has a 3.8 GPA in honors courses
and a 28 on his ACT, are you kidding me, no offers? I can not believe it either.
So what is the deal with Burchett from Prestonsburg??

I know he's never been to any Rivals, Scout.com camps., but come on. He was a monster this season, and probably was the best Pro-style QB in KY.

I would have thought someone would have offered a prefferd walk-on spot to this great ball player.
The Iceboxx Wrote:So what is the deal with Burchett from Prestonsburg??

I know he's never been to any Rivals, Scout.com camps., but come on. He was a monster this season, and probably was the best Pro-style QB in KY.

I would have thought someone would have offered a prefferd walk-on spot to this great ball player.

His arm strength was questionable. Didn't really show the ability to throw deep. I think his speed is hurting him some too. However his football IQ is great. Hes a smart football player and would be an assest as a backup somewhere. Probally had the best vision and ability to find the open man in the state.
I also heard that Jeff Prescott from Lone Oak, a 6-4, 310 lb freshman OL, left Campbellsville after Xmas break of his freshman year. He was considered one of the top linemen in W.Ky. in for the 08-09 year.
why has nobody signed the p burg kids? this is just blowing my mind!!
Tica Wrote:I also heard that Jeff Prescott from Lone Oak, a 6-4, 310 lb freshman OL, left Campbellsville after Xmas break of his freshman year. He was considered one of the top linemen in W.Ky. in for the 08-09 year.

Unfortunately many kids will take a football offer from a school only to find out the school itself is not a good fit. It is a huge adjustment going from HS football to college. I only hope that players are wising up and looking at their college choices as a total package not just getting caught up in the football flattering recruiting only to have to struggle in a atmosphere that isn't best for them.

Just because you get an offer, doesn't mean you have to take it. Find the school that is best for you.
Burchett and McKinney both received a lot of interest from colleges during the season, but none ever offered. I know Michael took visits to Purdue and Miami-OH. I believe McKinney visited EKU and Marshall, maybe Cincinnati.

Burchett told me if he didn't receive any offers (which he didn't) he would try to walk-on at UK.

It really is mind boggling to why these two never landed an offer from anyone, because both are tops in the their class academically and skilled on the football field. Of course they had their weaknesses, but who doesn't? If neither end up playing college football, then they'll be alright because they'll goto a big school and get an education.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Burchett and McKinney both received a lot of interest from colleges during the season, but none ever offered. I know Michael took visits to Purdue and Miami-OH. I believe McKinney visited EKU and Marshall, maybe Cincinnati.

Burchett told me if he didn't receive any offers (which he didn't) he would try to walk-on at UK.

It really is mind boggling to why these two never landed an offer from anyone, because both are tops in the their class academically and skilled on the football field. Of course they had their weaknesses, but who doesn't? If neither end up playing college football, then they'll be alright because they'll goto a big school and get an education.

Whats wrong with going to a small school and getting an education and be able to play football? D3?
It hurts players that play in a smaller division, 1a,2a,3a!
King Leonidas Wrote:It hurts players that play in a smaller division, 1a,2a,3a!

How so?
tradition Wrote:Whats wrong with going to a small school and getting an education and be able to play football? D3?

Nothing at all. I know Brandon Roller and Will Bardo had other offers and yes they were full rides but decided to go to the universities they felt comfortable with. The two players mentioned will play for their respected universities and get a great education to boot.
tradition Wrote:Whats wrong with going to a small school and getting an education and be able to play football? D3?

I know Burchett wasn't very interested in what the smaller schools had to offer. His eye was D1 and most thought either Duke or Miami-OH would end up offering, but never did. Purdue, Duke, Wake Forest, and possibly a few other D1 schools told Michael he could walk-on. But from my understanding if he is going to walk-on anywhere, it would be at UK.

Austin McKinney on the other hand was very interested in playing at a small NCAA school. I think he visited Thomas More, but I don't know the outcome of that visit. I think he was interested in Centre also.

I don't think so.

If a kid isn't an absolute stud then they probably won't get noticed by many schools outside of their region. Kids parents are going to have to be willing to pull out those wallets and get their kids in camps and send information to recruiting/scouting companies. Its expensive, but your kid will draw some interest from some decent schools this way and possibly land a scholarship.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I know Burchett wasn't very interested in what the smaller schools had to offer. His eye was D1 and most thought either Duke or Miami-OH would end up offering, but never did. Purdue, Duke, Wake Forest, and possibly a few other D1 schools told Michael he could walk-on. But from my understanding if he is going to walk-on anywhere, it would be at UK.

Austin McKinney on the other hand was very interested in playing at a small NCAA school. I think he visited Thomas More, but I don't know the outcome of that visit. I think he was interested in Centre also.

As to the bolded part, alittle info. from a coach that recruits in the area of Cincinnati at a D1 school. He has said that he is responsible for keeping up with 150 players as possible recruits. When it all boils down, he has said he is lucky if 5 of them are given offers. Now he is only one of probably 6 coaches for this school that are also recruiting.

The point that I am trying to make is that many schools recruit alot of kids but there are very few that actually receive that D1 offer.

Just curious if anyone knows the number kids that actually were offered and accepted D1 offers of the '09 class in Kentucky.

Personnally I think parents as well as players get a little too carried away with thinking that their son is going to get a D1 offer. They aren't that generously handed out as you may think. I think it is tough on the parents and even tougher on the player when that offer doesn't come their way.
BJ Roberts is going to sign Wendsday to play for Pikeville College.
tradition Wrote:As to the bolded part, alittle info. from a coach that recruits in the area of Cincinnati at a D1 school. He has said that he is responsible for keeping up with 150 players as possible recruits. When it all boils down, he has said he is lucky if 5 of them are given offers. Now he is only one of probably 6 coaches for this school that are also recruiting.

The point that I am trying to make is that many schools recruit alot of kids but there are very few that actually receive that D1 offer.

Just curious if anyone knows the number kids that actually were offered and accepted D1 offers of the '09 class in Kentucky.

Personnally I think parents as well as players get a little too carried away with thinking that their son is going to get a D1 offer. They aren't that generously handed out as you may think. I think it is tough on the parents and even tougher on the player when that offer doesn't come their way.

I believe that there were 22 players from Kentucky that signed NLI's with FBS schools, formerly D-1, in the 2009 class. Only one or two were from Eastern Kentucky.
tradition Wrote:As to the bolded part, alittle info. from a coach that recruits in the area of Cincinnati at a D1 school. He has said that he is responsible for keeping up with 150 players as possible recruits. When it all boils down, he has said he is lucky if 5 of them are given offers. Now he is only one of probably 6 coaches for this school that are also recruiting.

I realize how tough it is to get that D1 offer and I also agree with everything you've stated.
What about the Crowders from AC? Have they signed anywhere?

Still waiting and curious as to why you think playing a smaller division "hurts" a player.:eyeroll:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I realize how tough it is to get that D1 offer and I also agree with everything you've stated.

I didn't see the Burchett kid play so I can't comment specifically on him, but I did see West, Quainoo and Buckler play. None of those kids in my assessment are D-1 players. They were good or very good high school players, but there's a big difference between that and playing D-1. Buckler is undersized. Quick and decently fast, but there are plenty of bigger running backs in this country that had his or better quickness and speed. Those are the ones that got D-1 offers. Quainoo was bigger, but still did not possess the physical tools that others did. West has nice height and football smarts, but from what I saw did not possess the arm strength needed to play D-1. Racked up huge yards with a high completion percentage but that had a lot to due with his high school offensive system. Lots of 10 yd passes completed that turned into big gains because of the yards after completion. Kid got a lot of exposure so no one can claim the D-1 schools didn't know about him.

At the end of the day, in my opinion, the reason that a lot of people are bewildered as to why this kid or that kid didn't get a D-1 scholarship is because they just don't understand what it takes to get a schlarship at that level and they don't see the caliber of kids playing in other states that the kids are competing against for those scholarships. Couch was a stud back in the day as a QB; but the level of QB play throughout the nation is so much better now than it was back then. Not saying he wouldn't get a scholarship today, but he'd face much tougher competition for it.

And add me to the list of people that don't think the class of high school football affects whether a kid gets a scholarship. If one has the physical tools and skills needed and the colleges find out about it, they will offer you a scholarship. Sure, if you have the physical tools and skills needed, having a huge game against top 6A, 5A and 4A teams gets you more PR than having a huge game against a 3A, 2A or 1A team because people generally believe that the level of competition in the bigger classes is better. But playing in the smaller classes doesn't in and of itself cause a player to not get a D-1 Scholarship.

I've been told by college recruiters that attending legit and respected combines as a sophomore or junior is a must because it gets you on the radar screen of the various scouting services and universities. Attending junior camp days at universities (particularly for qbs that seemed to get recruited earlier than other positions) is a must. The QB position is so important that the universities want a lot of time to try to separate the wheat from the chaff and make early offers to those they think are the best.

It takes effort to reach out to the universities to make sure they know about your physical skills and traits. They aren't all that interested in high school stats because the recruiters don't have the time to research every opponent to see if big stats were put up against weaker competition. They don't have the time to watch every game film to see if those stats were generated in blow outs. High light tapes, while asked for by the recruiters, aren't valued as highly as some think for the foregoing reasons. I was told by a recruiter that because of the sheer number of highlight tapes the recruiters receive, they might watch the first 10 plays or so, but that's about it, unless they have already determined through the camps and combines that a player has the physical tools and skills needed.

Having a well respected coach reach out to the recruiters helps get the word out, but the players and their parents have a duty to do so also. To think that a coach is going to do it all for you is just too much to ask of a coach whose primary obligation is to help the entire team get ready for the next game or the next season.
Playing in smaller division does hurt, Just look at Hayden and Burdette from LCA put up all those numbers and then they don't go D1. The better people you play and the higher division means more.Now a stud is a stud and I agree but you have a better shot if you play at a bigger school and better comp every week. Also coming from the eastern part of the state hurts you to, because it is not known to be a hot bed for D1 talent.
The coaching staff doesn't help the kigs at P-burg at all thats why Burchette and McKinney isn't getting any scholarships. Look at the talent that has went through that program and other than John Ortega, Jeremy Caudill and Nathan Leslie who else has gotten a legitamate football scholarship. Plus those 3 done all the work themselves.
Old_Mecroch Wrote:The coaching staff doesn't help the kigs at P-burg at all thats why Burchette and McKinney isn't getting any scholarships. Look at the talent that has went through that program and other than John Ortega, Jeremy Caudill and Nathan Leslie who else has gotten a legitamate football scholarship. Plus those 3 done all the work themselves.

Prestonsburg puts more kids at the next level then most schools in the area, the staff is always trying to their guys noticed. The players mentioned were just the more high profiled players on their teams. To name everyone would take to long but a few are Seth Crisp, Kyle Sheppard, Nick Jamerson, Matt Slone, Wes Woods to name a few.