Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Any thoughts on baseball adding more classes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/1135754.html

This story says that smaller school coaches want the baseball postseason play to be like football and have 6 individual classes so that the smaller schools wont have to go through 6a schools to win state
catsfan08 Wrote:http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/1135754.html

This story says that smaller school coaches want the baseball postseason play to be like football and have 6 individual classes so that the smaller schools wont have to go through 6a schools to win state

6 individual classes would be great, it work for football so why not baseball
oldbird Wrote:6 individual classes would be great, it work for football so why not baseball

I couldn't agree more. I have been a fan of the All A, why not go ahead and open it up for all classes. There are teams, for instance in NKY, at the A level that can compete with the big schools. Like Beechwood & Brossart, but the schools like Bellevue who have very solid programs, just can't compete when they have to use 6th, 7th, and 8th graders to even fill a roster. I like the idea of expanding.
Here we go giving everyone a trophy again. There is already a small school tournament, enjoy that. With the amount of games played in baseball it's hard to do. Johnson Central would rack up bus miles, and would have to leave school early some. Leave it alone and quit whining about the big boys and do something to compete with them.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Here we go giving everyone a trophy again. There is already a small school tournament, enjoy that. With the amount of games played in baseball it's hard to do. Johnson Central would rack up bus miles, and would have to leave school early some. Leave it alone and quit whining about the big boys and do something to compete with them.

So eliminate it for Football too?
Stardust Wrote:So eliminate it for Football too?
Football is different. Football requires such a large amount of players to actually play in the game. If you can specialize you need 11+ Offense, 11+ Defense, and then 5-6+ Special Teams. In baseball and basketball you only need 9-14 and 5-8. It may be a harsh stance, but I hate the seemingly always-expanding mentality of sports society. It is fine the way it is.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Football is different. Football requires such a large amount of players to actually play in the game. If you can specialize you need 11+ Offense, 11+ Defense, and then 5-6+ Special Teams. In baseball and basketball you only need 9-14 and 5-8. It may be a harsh stance, but I hate the seemingly always-expanding mentality of sports society. It is fine the way it is.

If it's about parity, you can't use the numbers argument for football. It's about quality numbers. How can a school with an enrollment of 200 students compete with an enrollment of 1,500? If you are going to use the comment "Leave it alone and quit whining about the big boys and do something to compete with them.", I don't think it's possible to compete with them. Yeah, you will get the years like EC had in basketball because of one class, but to compete with the big boys every year, not possible. Most of these small schools are putting 7th, 8th graders on JV and Varsity rosters. They are not going to compete with a school that has 6-8 seniors EVERY year!

I get where you are coming from, but I don't agree with your statement about doing something. There is NOTHING that the small schools can do! It's not about quality coaching, quality philosophies, quality facilities, it's all about quality NUMBERS!
Stardust Wrote:If it's about parity, you can't use the numbers argument for football. It's about quality numbers. How can a school with an enrollment of 200 students compete with an enrollment of 1,500? If you are going to use the comment "Leave it alone and quit whining about the big boys and do something to compete with them.", I don't think it's possible to compete with them. Yeah, you will get the years like EC had in basketball because of one class, but to compete with the big boys every year, not possible. Most of these small schools are putting 7th, 8th graders on JV and Varsity rosters. They are not going to compete with a school that has 6-8 seniors EVERY year!

I get where you are coming from, but I don't agree with your statement about doing something. There is NOTHING that the small schools can do! It's not about quality coaching, quality philosophies, quality facilities, it's all about quality NUMBERS!

I agree.
Amen. I agree
So kids that go to smaller Schools should never get the chance to play for a Championship, if that the case why should they even have sports why don't every kid who want to play just find a big school to play for then we could stop all the money being wasted on KIDS who have no say where they live, the more classes the more reward for KIDS and I do belive High Schools Sports are for KIDS. Obviously Panther thunder you have never won a state championship or you would know the feeling and the pride that comes with it, I wish every Kid who play's sports could have the feeling that all the hard work was worth it.
??? Hey fellows I got a lot of mixed feelings about this issue .I agree with at least some of everybody's comments. Ithink we will all agree that a 1a school will rarely stay on the field with a football 6a. I have a question. Would you have a better feel good with a state wide championship trophy in your case or a class trophy?(6a football probably does not apply here) I guess I am in belief that if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.
oldbird Wrote:So kids that go to smaller Schools should never get the chance to play for a Championship, if that the case why should they even have sports why don't every kid who want to play just find a big school to play for then we could stop all the money being wasted on KIDS who have no say where they live, the more classes the more reward for KIDS and I do belive High Schools Sports are for KIDS. Obviously Panther thunder you have never won a state championship or you would know the feeling and the pride that comes with it, I wish every Kid who play's sports could have the feeling that all the hard work was worth it.
Who said they couldn't play for a state championship? Shelby Valley is a relatively small school (I know, I know) and that did not stop Tyler Newsome, Elisha Justice, Taylor Newsome, Ashley Hatfield, etc.. from putting in work in AAU over the years and they now have a legitiment argument as to why they have the capability of winning state. And playing the sport just for the sake of playing should be the goal if we are talking about the KIDS. I can tell you it feels a lot better getting a trophy for winning a tournament than it does getting one from the YMCA for "participation". I have never won a state championship, this is correct. But I will inject some personal support in here. I went to a small (8 kids per grade) Private school in 8th grade to play basketball. Well, we were invited to play in the Mountain Christian Invitational, which consisted of 3 other private schools. We won the championship by 25, and I was the leading scorer. That trophy is nice as it was for being the best small private school in the area. But I don't think of that as a better accomplishment than I do finishing runner-up in the district with large schools such as I believe it was Kimper, Phelps, Mullins, Belfry, and John's Creek. I remember the perfomances against the bigger schools when I scored my career high against one of them. I put that higher than the private school tournament. That is just my opinion.

Just posing an alternate view here: Would it not lessen the title of "State Champion"? I mean eventually, you could make so many class that half the schools win a state championship. Should that make the kids feel good? I'm just no a proponent at all of watering down the system, just so we can hand out more hardware. And it's not like I'm coming from a big school. I come from a Class A school. There is already a small school Tournament. I would feel a lot more accomplished coming in the top 3-4 of all schools than winning All "A" State. Yea, a banner looks nice and you can say "well we won the class -A Tournament back in 2014" but that is like Italian Restaurant. Well that's fine and all, but wouldn't it be better to be that AND be the best Restaurant OVERALL?

I may have started off harsh, but this is just my viewpoint. It is almost like it pleases our subconscious to be claimed the "CHAMPION" even if it is watered down. When in reality coming in 3rd or 4th Overall is a better accomplishment, IMO. I guess it is just something about those shiny trophies that gets people going. :1:
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:??? Hey fellows I got a lot of mixed feelings about this issue .I agree with at least some of everybody's comments. Ithink we will all agree that a 1a school will rarely stay on the field with a football 6a. I have a question. Would you have a better feel good with a state wide championship trophy in your case or a class trophy?(6a football probably does not apply here) I guess I am in belief that if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.
I agree with this. I don't believe it is broken, nor was football, but the expansion was still made, don't do the same to basketball or baseball.
IMO 6 classes would be to many but if it was just 3 or 4 then i wouldnt see a problem with it
Panther Thunder Wrote:Who said they couldn't play for a state championship? Shelby Valley is a relatively small school (I know, I know) and that did not stop Tyler Newsome, Elisha Justice, Taylor Newsome, Ashley Hatfield, etc.. from putting in work in AAU over the years and they now have a legitiment argument as to why they have the capability of winning state. And playing the sport just for the sake of playing should be the goal if we are talking about the KIDS. I can tell you it feels a lot better getting a trophy for winning a tournament than it does getting one from the YMCA for "participation". I have never won a state championship, this is correct. But I will inject some personal support in here. I went to a small (8 kids per grade) Private school in 8th grade to play basketball. Well, we were invited to play in the Mountain Christian Invitational, which consisted of 3 other private schools. We won the championship by 25, and I was the leading scorer. That trophy is nice as it was for being the best small private school in the area. But I don't think of that as a better accomplishment than I do finishing runner-up in the district with large schools such as I believe it was Kimper, Phelps, Mullins, Belfry, and John's Creek. I remember the perfomances against the bigger schools when I scored my career high against one of them. I put that higher than the private school tournament. That is just my opinion.

Just posing an alternate view here: Would it not lessen the title of "State Champion"? I mean eventually, you could make so many class that half the schools win a state championship. Should that make the kids feel good? I'm just no a proponent at all of watering down the system, just so we can hand out more hardware. And it's not like I'm coming from a big school. I come from a Class A school. There is already a small school Tournament. I would feel a lot more accomplished coming in the top 3-4 of all schools than winning All "A" State. Yea, a banner looks nice and you can say "well we won the class -A Tournament back in 2014" but that is like Italian Restaurant. Well that's fine and all, but wouldn't it be better to be that AND be the best Restaurant OVERALL?

I may have started off harsh, but this is just my viewpoint. It is almost like it pleases our subconscious to be claimed the "CHAMPION" even if it is watered down. When in reality coming in 3rd or 4th Overall is a better accomplishment, IMO. I guess it is just something about those shiny trophies that gets people going. :1:
So you are saying the two state championships that I won in 3A in the early 80's in football that are team should look at it as well we didn't win 4a so who care.if you believe that I or anybody on those teams did not believe we were the best team in the state your wrong. Just because we didn't the 4a championship,by the way we did beat the 4a champions in the regular season and ended 21 in usa today but who cares we didn't win the 4a championship. It was watered down to many classes.
oldbird Wrote:So you are saying the two state championships that I won in 3A in the early 80's in football that are team should look at it as well we didn't win 4a so who care.if you believe that I or anybody on those teams did not believe we were the best team in the state your wrong. Just because we didn't the 4a championship,by the way we did beat the 4a champions in the regular season and ended 21 in usa today but who cares we didn't win the 4a championship. It was watered down to many classes.
Why is everyone getting so defensive? Of course there are differing opinions and always exceptions to the rule. Plus you will see that I have said football should have classes and should have 4 classes.
To me its all about having the ability to compete year in and year out. With classes this is much more possible for smaller schools. With no classes its extremely hard for smaller schools to compete for state titles year in and year out. Sure, you will have a year every now and then when a small school puts together a team that might be able to compete, but lets be realistic, the majority of the years larger schools will win state titles. I also think 6 classes is too many, 3 or 4 maybe, but not 6. I think they should use some kind of combination of the 2, maybe have classes then a tournament between the winners of the classes.