Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Televisions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got a new TV today and I was wondering what every bodies favorite type of TV is with the on going argument of plasma vs LCD with a little DLP thrown in there but here is a new pic of my TV it is a 50 inch samsung plasma full HD TV, it has the filter bright, color enhancer, 1080 full HD motion and its 1080p its the 560 series with the motion censor on the bottom of the screen that turns it on and off and has the touch buttons on the side.
Heard not to buy a plasma unless you're going to put it in a basement or something because they get real bad glare.

All of the LCDs I've seen have looked good.
i notice all your lights are off. how is it with the lights on.
I had no issues with glare on my Plasma. I had a 50' that went caput within a year. When they replaced it, I chose to go LCD and have been happy ever since. I have five LCD's now adn am very happy with all.
it is ok with alot of lights but as for the overall functions of the TV it is a nice setup my uncle has one just like it and he bought his used his is a 550 series instead of a 560 like mine but he has had his for going on 2 years and has had no problems so hopefully if i have good luck ill be alright.
I have your basic 19inch tv and yes, it's a color tv.
LED is amazing, but I do not have one nor can afford one right now. LOL

I went with LCD over Plasma for two very distinct reasons:

1) Plasma eats up more energy
2) I have a bad tendacy of leaving my DVD menu screen up and falling asleep halfway through the movie. I was warned not to get a plasma because if an image is up too long it could "burn" into the screen.

I have a 32" in my living room, a 23" in the bedroom, and a little 19" in the guestroom and I have been happy with them.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:LED is amazing, but I do not have one nor can afford one right now. LOL

2) I have a bad tendacy of leaving my DVD menu screen up and falling asleep halfway through the movie. I was warned not to get a plasma because if an image is up too long it could "burn" into the screen.

I have a 32" in my living room, a 23" in the bedroom, and a little 19" in the guestroom and I have been happy with them.
Isnt it true that a plasma TV only has a 5-7 year life?? Thats why I went with an LCD..
Quote:Isnt it true that a plasma TV only has a 5-7 year life?? Thats why I went with an LCD..

true it is somewhere between 5-8 years depending on how many hours you watch TV during a day, befor I bought the TV I called cust. service at samsung and the lady said that it depends but averaging about 8-9 hours of play a day it could last any where between5-8 or even 10 years but I watch TV a lot and have 3 young'uns that like cartoons and a stay at home women that loves lifetime, I look to get about 3 years out of it LOL.
Quote:1) Plasma eats up more energy

1)My TV is an Energy Star TV
2)My DVD player if it sets on a menu or if the movie freezes or skips it has a screen saver pop up and the word Phillips bounces around on the screen to deter my TV from burning in the image.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:LED is amazing, but I do not have one nor can afford one right now. LOL

I too think the LED is just outright awesome. I bought a 55" LG LED for my man cave and love it. I bought a 32" LG LCD for the bedroom and this has a very good piture but the darks, blacks are much more defined on the LED.

About a year ago I bought a 50" LG Plasma for the TV room and it has been a solid tv.

I went with the LED/LCD because of picture quality, energy efficient, does not get as hot & hours of life. The Plasma does have a higher energy use, can have burn in issue's and has limited use hours.
Living Room- 19" floor model. No remote, you get up to change the channels. Wood is peeling, and its hard to move since it weighs 800 lbs..
Kitchen- 12" black and white..sweet tv...REMOTE CONTROL.
Bedroom- the juggernaut. 19 inches with a built in VCR PLAYER! When you wanna impress the ladies, throw a VHS copy of "Boomerang" in the BUILT IN VCR and get ready for a great night. Simple as that boys..

Or..turn off the lights, light a couple of candles and throw in an Al Green 8 track to seal the deal..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Living Room- 19" floor model. No remote, you get up to change the channels. Wood is peeling, and its hard to move since it weighs 800 lbs..
Kitchen- 12" black and white..sweet tv...REMOTE CONTROL.
Bedroom- the juggernaut. 19 inches with a built in VCR PLAYER! When you wanna impress the ladies, throw a VHS copy of "Boomerang" in the BUILT IN VCR and get ready for a great night. Simple as that boys..

Or..turn off the lights, light a couple of candles and throw in an Al Green 8 track to seal the deal..

Now that is smooooooth. You can never go wrong with Boomerang and Al Green.
Plasma has the best picture quality, and is best for sports and gaming when it comes down to comparing the same price points.

The best tv money can buy is the Pioneer KURO series plasmas. They are now being discontinued because with the way the economy is a lot of people will not play $4g's for a tv.

Burn in issues have been fixed (still has some burn in but isn't permanent and can be fixed in 10 min.)and life is the almost exactly the same.

Go here - http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag...ftColumn.0

Personally, I just bought an 47" Insignia from BB made by LG for BB, its not top of the line by any means but its the size I needed for our room, at a price point I wanted and comes with a 2 year warranty.

I will be getting a plasma with the next tv I buy.
Bought a 46 in.LCD Sanyo for my wife for Christmas.lol
We love it. The 2 reasons i went with the sanyo is (1) price (2) Several of my family has had sanyos that have lasted up to 20 years.
Colonel Kill Wrote:Now that is smooooooth. You can never go wrong with Boomerang and Al Green.
Right on my brother, lol..I agree..
I think I herd that if you leave a LCD pluged in and running, without ever turning it off, it could play for 15 years before going dead lol
Have a 32inch LCD Myself. Use it as my Computer Screen and TV so its always on. Had it for over a year now and still runs perfect.