Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Estill Co. 58 - Powell Co. 55
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final

Good Job Neers!!!!! :Clap:
This would have to be considered a big upset. Powell was undefeated in the district and Estill has only won 3 or 4 games all year. Powell still has a makeup game with Owsley in Booneville. The top seed could still be up for grabs with an Owsley win.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:This would have to be considered a big upset. Powell was undefeated in the district and Estill has only won 3 or 4 games all year. Powell still has a makeup game with Owsley in Booneville. The top seed could still be up for grabs with an Owsley win.

Owsley also has another makeup game with Estill Next Thursday (Feb. 11th) in Irvine and thats when we get our leading scorer Riley Birchfield back
Strikeout King Wrote:Owsley also has another makeup game with Estill Next Thursday (Feb. 11th) in Irvine and thats when we get our leading scorer Riley Birchfield back
You're right. Estill will be a better team with Birchfield. I didn't mean to imply that Owsley would have an automatic W in Irvine. Estill has had bad luck this season with injuries.
"Big Upset"????????? Estill only lost to Powell on Jan 22 by 2 pts.- which were on a foul called AFTER time ran out. They seem to actually be pretty evenly matched.
Estill had Powell down Double Digits late in the 3rd Quarter

Estill Co. 58 Powell Co. 55

Powell Co. 12 12 10 21 55

Estill Co. 9 12 17 20 58

Powell Co. (10-6) -- Creech 10, Reed 11, Nolan 8, Brewer 13, Conner 4, Goodwin 6, Parks 3.

Estill Co. (4-17) -- Berryman 14, Roberts 19, Williams 4, Allen 3, Doty 14, Muncie 4.

http://www.kentucky.com/945/story/104032...CPIorderBy=
BigSis Wrote:"Big Upset"????????? Estill only lost to Powell on Jan 22 by 2 pts.- which were on a foul called AFTER time ran out. They seem to actually be pretty evenly matched.
I guess "Big" is a little overboard. Didn't realize they played that close earlier. Just going on Estill's record. 4 wins is not good for the 4th largest school in the region, but I also know they have had problems with key players being injured.
Finally SK has something to cheer about!
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I guess "Big" is a little overboard. Didn't realize they played that close earlier. Just going on Estill's record. 4 wins is not good for the 4th largest school in the region, but I also know they have had problems with key players being injured.
Just to answer a couple of things here and in previous posts: with the exception of a run of talent at the guard position in the last few years Estill has not had a notoriously strong basketball program in it's recent history. It has struggled to gain consistency. Talent like in any Rural community runs in cycles. There aren't holdbacks as in other eastern Kentucky powerhouses, and many of our boys never get a chance to play basketball at a young age. We have two First year players starting at post right now that haven't played organized basketball since seventh grade. Estill lost 8 seniors last year and and has had many injuries and quitters this year including 3 starters out for extendend priods of times. Yes this includes Riley who is "one" of Estill's leading scorers and helps to score inside and outside and rebound as well. Still remains to be seen as to his return date or if he will. The real story here is perserverance and work ethic of the boys and coaches that could pack it in and stop working hard but haven't. There are many teams like that and I applaude them. This team is the one I see the most. Sometimes we reduce things to a simple inhumanistic game that only matters on the scoreboard. Sometimes you win - when the scores says you do - sometimes you win when it says you don't - as I get older I realize this more and more.
What an evenly matched district. It is anyone's to win. Congrats Estill on the win.
:Thumbs:Congrats to EC
It was a great game. If Creech had scored his 20 points PCHS would have won by 10. He has to step up.
slake Wrote:It was a great game. If Creech had scored his 20 points PCHS would have won by 10. He has to step up.

do you care to mention that Estill had Powell down by double digits in this game??? there was alot of missed calls in this game.
Express Wrote:Just to answer a couple of things here and in previous posts: with the exception of a run of talent at the guard position in the last few years Estill has not had a notoriously strong basketball program in it's recent history. It has struggled to gain consistency. Talent like in any Rural community runs in cycles. There aren't holdbacks as in other eastern Kentucky powerhouses, and many of our boys never get a chance to play basketball at a young age. We have two First year players starting at post right now that haven't played organized basketball since seventh grade. Estill lost 8 seniors last year and and has had many injuries and quitters this year including 3 starters out for extendend priods of times. Yes this includes Riley who is "one" of Estill's leading scorers and helps to score inside and outside and rebound as well. Still remains to be seen as to his return date or if he will. The real story here is perserverance and work ethic of the boys and coaches that could pack it in and stop working hard but haven't. There are many teams like that and I applaude them. This team is the one I see the most. Sometimes we reduce things to a simple inhumanistic game that only matters on the scoreboard. Sometimes you win - when the scores says you do - sometimes you win when it says you don't - as I get older I realize this more and more.

That is not an excuse for Estill County. With a school this large they should be cosistenely a top team in the region. If you cant start players early Estill should look into a youth foundation. They seem to have good ones for baseball and softball as these teams are among the tops in the region and the softball has been in the state for a while.
Lucky7 Wrote:That is not an excuse for Estill County. With a school this large they should be cosistenely a top team in the region. If you cant start players early Estill should look into a youth foundation. They seem to have good ones for baseball and softball as these teams are among the tops in the region and the softball has been in the state for a while.
That's kind of what I was trying to say. A school the size of Estill should be a contender nearly every year in the region's basketball scene (they already are in baseball). Powell is a little confusing too. These are two of the larger schools in the region but with an exception of Powell in 2003 and once in the 1970s , have but two region championships to their claim. Estill hasn't been in the region long enough to make an accurate judgement on them, but with all fairness to them they have had some teams in the last 30 years that probably could have won the 14th. Unfortunately they were stuck in the 10th with Mason, Clark, etc.
According to the KHSAA the 10 largest enrollments in the 14th Region are:

1. Perry County Central- 1,000
2. Letcher County Central- 951
3. Estill County-729
4. Powell County- 721
5. Breathitt County- 712
6. Knott County Central- 692
7. Leslie County- 546
8. Wolfe County- 412
9. Lee County- 330
10. Hazard- 293

I think a lot of being a contender most years is how much is being done in the building program. The Biddy League in Hazard and their other youth programs is one reason Hazard competes with much larger schools in sports. They're the 10th school in the region in enrollment but have won far more regional basketball titles than any other school. That's just hard work in the youth leagues, and it's paid dividends over the years for the Bulldogs and their fans.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:That's kind of what I was trying to say. A school the size of Estill should be a contender nearly every year in the region's basketball scene (they already are in baseball). Powell is a little confusing too. These are two of the larger schools in the region but with an exception of Powell in 2003 and once in the 1970s , have but two region championships to their claim. Estill hasn't been in the region long enough to make an accurate judgement on them, but with all fairness to them they have had some teams in the last 30 years that probably could have won the 14th. Unfortunately they were stuck in the 10th with Mason, Clark, etc.

3. Estill County-729
4. Powell County- 721
5. Breathitt County- 712
7. Leslie County- 546
8. Wolfe County- 412
9. Lee County- 330
10. Hazard- 293

I think a lot of being a contender most years is how much is being done in the building program. The Biddy League in Hazard and their other youth programs is one reason Hazard competes with much larger schools in sports. They're the 10th school in the region in enrollment but have won far more regional basketball titles than any other school. That's just hard work in the youth leagues, and it's paid dividends over the years for the Bulldogs and their fans.

we have a chance to go deep into the Region next year as we only lose 1 senior this year. we should also be District Favorites as Lee Loses Gus Wise, Powell Loses Christian Brewer (only player powell loses), Owsley Loses like 11 or 12 including Devan Evans.
[quote=LOOKAYANNER]That's kind of what I was trying to say. A school the size of Estill should be a contender nearly every year in the region's basketball scene (they already are in baseball). Powell is a little confusing too. These are two of the larger schools in the region but with an exception of Powell in 2003 and once in the 1970s , have but two region championships to their claim. Estill hasn't been in the region long enough to make an accurate judgement on them, but with all fairness to them they have had some teams in the last 30 years that probably could have won the 14th. Unfortunately they were stuck in the 10th with Mason, Clark, etc.

3. Estill County-729
4. Powell County- 721
5. Breathitt County- 712
7. Leslie County- 546
8. Wolfe County- 412
9. Lee County- 330
10. Hazard- 293

I think a lot of being a contender most years is how much is being done in the building program. The Biddy League in Hazard and their other youth programs is one reason Hazard competes with much larger schools in sports. They're the 10th school in the region in enrollment but have won far more regional basketball titles than any other school. That's just hard work in the youth leagues, and it's paid dividends over the years for the Bulldogs and their fans.[/QUOTE]

They also have a "knack" for picking up big time transfers that have never played a minute in this youth league. :Thumbs:
I think that this go to show that Powell Co can be beat by anybody!!! Congrats Neers!
Lucky7 Wrote:That is not an excuse for Estill County. With a school this large they should be cosistenely a top team in the region. If you cant start players early Estill should look into a youth foundation. They seem to have good ones for baseball and softball as these teams are among the tops in the region and the softball has been in the state for a while.
You are right we must get some consistency in the youth and middle school programs. The problem is getting on the same page. However you are wrong about the holdbacks it is always a disadantage when you are playing against players in your grade that are 1-2 years your superior in age.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:That's kind of what I was trying to say. A school the size of Estill should be a contender nearly every year in the region's basketball scene (they already are in baseball). Powell is a little confusing too. These are two of the larger schools in the region but with an exception of Powell in 2003 and once in the 1970s , have but two region championships to their claim. Estill hasn't been in the region long enough to make an accurate judgement on them, but with all fairness to them they have had some teams in the last 30 years that probably could have won the 14th. Unfortunately they were stuck in the 10th with Mason, Clark, etc.

3. Estill County-729
4. Powell County- 721
5. Breathitt County- 712
7. Leslie County- 546
8. Wolfe County- 412
9. Lee County- 330
10. Hazard- 293

Thats a very good point!
Strikeout King Wrote:we have a chance to go deep into the Region next year as we only lose 1 senior this year. we should also be District Favorites as Lee Loses Gus Wise, Powell Loses Christian Brewer (only player powell loses), Owsley Loses like 11 or 12 including Devan Evans.
Yes, Owsley loses all their starters after this year. They will be fortunate to win many games next year. Lee will be down, and Powell loses some good players too. Estill may be the favorites.

I think one problem the 56th district has had since forever is that everyone talks about whether they can win the basketball district or not, but only give lip service about whether they can win the region. That's why the 56th has won exactly 4 regional titles in their history. They don't think they're suppose to win it, only go deep into it when the time comes.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Yes, Owsley loses all their starters after this year. They will be fortunate to win many games next year. Lee will be down, and Powell loses some good players too. Estill may be the favorites.

I think one problem the 56th district has had since forever is that everyone talks about whether they can win the basketball district or not, but only give lip service about whether they can win the region. That's why the 56th has won exactly 4 regional titles in their history. They don't think they're suppose to win it, only go deep into it when the time comes.
I can't speak as to why anyone in the 56th hasn't done this or that in the 14th because we (Estill) have been in the 14th only 5 years before this one. I know we should have made a better run 5 years ago I know we ran as far as we should have 2 years ago and we should have gone 1 game further last year. We need to work better from the bottom up and there just is not enough work being done outside of basketball practices. I know that there are some things being done baseball and football, but we need to reorganize and regroup youth basketball wise and concentrate on fundamentals.
Coach Hall was bragging on his three guards( Creech, Reed, & Brewer) in the Clay City Times and did not say anything about the other team members. That is a problem with PCHS Basketball.
Powell County loses 2 seniors!
piratefan24 Wrote:Powell County loses 2 seniors!

who is the 2nd player???
Congrats Estill Co.
Strikeout King Wrote:do you care to mention that Estill had Powell down by double digits in this game??? there was alot of missed calls in this game.

hah, yea obviously there were many missed calls. I mean estill did win. lol
leecoukfan Wrote:I think that this go to show that Powell Co can be beat by anybody!!! Congrats Neers!

Maybe, not lee co tho!
Congrats Neers!!
Strikeout King Wrote:we have a chance to go deep into the Region next year as we only lose 1 senior this year. we should also be District Favorites as Lee Loses Gus Wise, Powell Loses Christian Brewer (only player powell loses), Owsley Loses like 11 or 12 including Devan Evans.

Lee graduated 8 or 9 seniors last year and are rebuilding this year. Wise is the only sr this year. Lee starts Pittman (jr), Wise (sr) and 2 or 3 freshmen including Tyler Evans.

Lee probably wont be a pushover in the district next season. Owsley on the other hand, loses about 10 seniors (all 5 starters +). I don't know about Powell, they usually have talent that's not even on the team from year to year.
Pages: 1 2