Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best All "A" Champ This Decade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who was the best team to win the All "A" this decade?

I added a poll to tally the votes, but also state your reason why you feel the team you voted for was the best.
After watching the All A tournament, this years Shelby Valley team plays so well together. I don't think they have a set offense, they just seem to know where their teammates are at all times.
There has only been one champion THIS decade!
Stardust Wrote:There has only been one champion THIS decade!

You know what I meant SD.

Best All "A" Champ over the past ten years...is that better? lol
My pick was the 2003 St. Herny squad. They were extemely talented and deep.

They finished the season 30-5 with wins over a Justice Doellman (xavier) led Ryle team, 3 wins over a Mike Brock (EKU, Mr. Basketball Candidate) led SK team, a 19 point win over an OJ Mayo and Bill Walker led Rose Hill team, and if not for an injury to Mike Schmidt in the first round of the sweet 16, they beat Mason co and win the state title.

Mason Co was led by Chris Lofton that year and blew everyone out. Their closest game of the year was the 59-57 win over St. Henry. I believe the Cru led until Schmidt went down with an injury in the 3rd quarter.

I'd take this team over anyone else on the list.

2007 Brossart was also tough. They led the state in defense and also was the best team in nky that year, despite Holmes making it to the state semi's. They ran in to a Darius Miller led Mason co team though and that's why they didn't make it out of region.
kywldcat01 Wrote:you know what i meant sd.

Best all "a" champ over the past ten years...is that better? Lol

lol
UH has 3 championships in the span listed but you cant vote for them 3 times....Not to mention look at the D-1 players on the 2008 team....SV team last year was alot deeper than this years team and played better competion....In this years tournament I beleive EJ may have been the best player there...You did not here no hype even from the media about this years field of teams except SV....
I'd take last year's SV team over this year's. This year's team would struggle to beat anyone else on that list. This year's team might not even be in the top 3 as far as the best teams go.

2009 SV, 2008 UHA, 2007 Brossart, and 2003 St. Henry would all beat this year's Shelby Valley team, IMO.

I also think that 2006 Bardstown team would have beaten this year's SV team. They were an extremely talented team and I think SV would've struggle with their size and athleticism.
Obviously I've not seen a lot of these teams play but the '04 Hazard team was tough. They had several players in the 6'5-6" range, and all there players was very athletic. They drew Perry Central first round of district and got beat on a buzzer beater. Still 'til this day IDK how Perry won that game, Hazard was MUCH better
kywldcat01 Wrote:I'd take last year's SV team over this year's. This year's team would struggle to beat anyone else on that list. This year's team might not even be in the top 3 as far as the best teams go.

2009 SV, 2008 UHA, 2007 Brossart, and 2003 St. Henry would all beat this year's Shelby Valley team, IMO.

I also think that 2006 Bardstown team would have beaten this year's SV team. They were an extremely talented team and I think SV would've struggle with their size and athleticism.

'04 Hazard would have beat Valley too, way to big for SV.
2008 UHA team was probably the most talented with Scotty Hopson (Tennessee) and Tyshaun Edmonson (St. John's).

I say the 2009 SV team is better than the 2010 team.
Lots of good teams on the list.
Anyone who is going to pick SV should pick the 2009 version.
A lot of good teams on the list.
5timechamp Wrote:Anyone who is going to pick SV should pick the 2009 version.

Agreed.
If you want to take it back one more year...the 2000 Newcath team that won it with Ronny Dawn (Marshall) was another very good team to win it. That Newcath team beat Holmes in the 2000 9th region championship and that Holmes team was absolutely loaded.
I'm going to say the 2009 Shelby Valley team.
Why are so many people voting for this years Valley team? lol '09's was better.
^^^I agree Aslan. I guess it's fresher in people's minds. That 09 team had a much better chance at beating the top teams around the state compared to this years' squad.

Now that I think about it a little more though...The 2007 Brossart team very well could be the best team to win it over the past 10 years.

Of their 5 losses that year, 3 came to Mason Co. The other two were to Lexcath by 3 and eventual region champ, Pendleton Co, by 3.

The 06-07 Brossart team beat that 07-08 UHA team with Scotty Hopson and Ty Edmondson by 20 in the All "A."

I think the two best teams on that list would have to be 03 St. Henry and 07 Brossart. What separates those two from the others is they actually played tough schedules and still beat some very good teams.
5timechamp Wrote:Anyone who is going to pick SV should pick the 2009 version.
I have to agree with this post, the 2009 SV team had more height, but this years team has more experience and has the chance to go farther in the Sweet 16, but since I had a relative on last years team,I will go with them, ha ha. I really don't know too much about the other teams in this decade either so I will go with what I know.