Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How many people think Taylor Swift is ruining real Country Music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
She is taken every award for everything country has, and knocked off Dave Matthews, Beyonce, Lady GaGa, and somebody else for Album of the Year at the Grammy's. The tween's are the one's who are buying her music and she can only keep writing her songs about her prince, horse, and her dress and being rescued 10 different ways.She is overmarketed, and enough is enough. She needs a bubble gum music radio station. Not the regular platform for us die-hard country music fans. If we don't stand up and either switch her to pop, I'm out listening to country music stations, I'll just buy my favorite singers, and shut off the stations.:please:
I think Taylor is good for Country music. Everytime a 12-25 year old person turns on country radio to hear her they will probably hear Taylor, Rascal Flatts, Alan Jackson, George Strait and then Taylor Swift etc....

Basically, she is drawing attention to the "real" stars along with herself. I remember people saying the same thing about Garth Brooks........
I honestly don't care to much for female country music singers. Most of them are to die for with looks, but their voices are so **** aggravating. I'm also tired of most of these new country singers that are pop star wannabees. Only ones I can stand anymore are the faces of country music like Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Brooks & Dunn, Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley, etc. ****, I cannot even stand Kenny Chesney. Majority of the newer generation of country music artists are terrible besides the likes of Zach Brown Band, Josh Turner, etc.
I think she is drawing more people to country music, IMO. Are the songs cheesy, yes. Is she not that good live, yes. But how many of those "tweens" turn it on the country station just to hear Taylor? That, in turn, introduces them to other country music.
She is definitely no Garth Brooks, this just shows how pathetic country music has fallen.
Kenny Chesney and Shania Twain ruined country music. Swift and the other pop singers are just getting thier paychecks, cant blame them.
Guy's, let's be real. What is REAL Country music now? I think that it's time to possibly start making new category's for Country Music, just like Rock has now. The Country music that I grew up with was Bluegrass and "Twang". What I grew to appreciate was "Outlaw" and "Tempo" Country music that came aobut with Hank Jr. and Garth. It started with me that Country is not Conutry with Shania. The style of what is considered Country has changed considerably, but just as Rock, each style has it's place.

Has Taylor ruined Country, **** NO! She has just helped change it. Make it a new category, that's fair, but don't chastise it!
OK...I've read all I can. How many of you guys have actually listened to REAL COUNTRY? How many of you can actually remember "Hee Haw"? And actually listening to The real Johnny Cash (Not freakin Juaquin Phoenix), Conway Twitty, Merle Haggard, Hank Jr., Tom T. Hall, Buck Owens, Lorreta Lynn and George Jones? Well, from looking at your ages on the age thread. Besides "mrsportsfan"....NONE of you.

Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, George Strait, and Brooks & Dunn...pretty much sang about the same ****.
Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley and Kenny Chesney....pretty much sang about the same ****.
And people said the same thing about EVERYONE of the names I listed as you are saying about her and a few other......They are killing Country Music.
Well...guess what....The music changes ALL the time. They even said the same thing about Hank SR!

As for Swift....I think it is amazing what she has done! For a girl her age that writes her own songs, produces her own music, produces her own videos and produces her own Concert Tour.....Unreal! She is EXTREMELY Talented. Good for her!

I guess you guys also like Kanye West and condone what he did to Taylor at the MTV Music Awards. Well, I don't..I will NEVER listen to another song of his and I swear if I ever saw him in person...I would punch him right dead between the eys! What a piece of crap!

I would much rather my kids listen to Taylor Swift's music and any country station then compared to this other crap about "Bustin' a cap in someone's ***" or "gettin' my money from my B*****s and H**s"...I mean heck most of today's "Pop Music" speaks about bumpin uglies as well.

I'm happy to hear her on the Country stations and drawing in the younger listeners. I thank her. Because of her maybe some of our younger people will end up listening to some pretty decent music and start getting a few morals about themselves. Instead of having their "Hat turned sideways, lookin' like a fool, with ya pants on the ground!"...LOL
I Like Carrie Underwood better... She also looks better as well.. HAHA
OffTheHook Wrote:OK...I've read all I can. How many of you guys have actually listened to REAL COUNTRY? How many of you can actually remember "Hee Haw"? And actually listening to The real Johnny Cash (Not freakin Juaquin Phoenix), Conway Twitty, Merle Haggard, Hank Jr., Tom T. Hall, Buck Owens, Lorreta Lynn and George Jones? Well, from looking at your ages on the age thread. Besides "mrsportsfan"....NONE of you.

Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, George Strait, and Brooks & Dunn...pretty much sang about the same ****.
Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley and Kenny Chesney....pretty much sang about the same ****.
And people said the same thing about EVERYONE of the names I listed as you are saying about her and a few other......They are killing Country Music.
Well...guess what....The music changes ALL the time. They even said the same thing about Hank SR!

As for Swift....I think it is amazing what she has done! For a girl her age that writes her own songs, produces her own music, produces her own videos and produces her own Concert Tour.....Unreal! She is EXTREMELY Talented. Good for her!

I guess you guys also like Kanye West and condone what he did to Taylor at the MTV Music Awards. Well, I don't..I will NEVER listen to another song of his and I swear if I ever saw him in person...I would punch him right dead between the eys! What a piece of crap!

I would much rather my kids listen to Taylor Swift's music and any country station then compared to this other crap about "Bustin' a cap in someone's ***" or "gettin' my money from my B*****s and H**s"...I mean heck most of today's "Pop Music" speaks about bumpin uglies as well.

I'm happy to hear her on the Country stations and drawing in the younger listeners. I thank her. Because of her maybe some of our younger people will end up listening to some pretty decent music and start getting a few morals about themselves. Instead of having their "Hat turned sideways, lookin' like a fool, with ya pants on the ground!"...LOL

I get what you are saying, but I don't agree with your assertion of what is REAL country music.

My Mother thought Elvis was REAL Rock N' Roll, I said Led Zepplin was. Now Motorhead, Michael Jackson, and the Backstreet Boys are all considered Rock N' Roll.
Stardust Wrote:I get what you are saying, but I don't agree with your assertion of what is REAL country music.

My Mother thought Elvis was REAL Rock N' Roll, I said Led Zepplin was. Now Motorhead, Michael Jackson, and the Backstreet Boys are all considered Rock N' Roll.

I didn't assert anything being "Real Country" music.

Read what I said in the last two lines of the second paragraph.

I may have posted it a little confusingly. But, what I was gettin at. Is that. You can't compare her to the likes of Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Brooks & Dunn, Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley and so forth. Just as you can't compare them to the others I listed from more our younger years. It's always changing. And IMHO....for the good.
OffTheHook Wrote:OK...I've read all I can. How many of you guys have actually listened to REAL COUNTRY? How many of you can actually remember "Hee Haw"? And actually listening to The real Johnny Cash (Not freakin Juaquin Phoenix), Conway Twitty, Merle Haggard, Hank Jr., Tom T. Hall, Buck Owens, Lorreta Lynn and George Jones? Well, from looking at your ages on the age thread. Besides "mrsportsfan"....NONE of you.

Great post. Im nearly 21 years old so I am a young buck, but I grew up listening to bluegrass, and artist's such as Hank Jr. Waylon, Willie, Cash etc. and still listen to them this day, even though I like the new country as well, still always go back to my roots.
Her writing her own music is a great thing, if she wasn't like Kenny Chesney, who writes about his darn beach songs everytime. He's a one trick poney and so is she.
She is over marketed and everywhere. I suggest all the Country Music Stars stay home until they she is over herself some.

I see what you're saying, but doesn't every country song talk about alcohol, love, cheating, trucks, hunting/fishing, etc?

Therefore every country singer sings about the same ****.

I don't even understand how you can compare the meanings of songs that Garth wrote, like The Thunder Rolls, Brooks and Dunn's, I Believe. Brad Paisley's, Waitin on a Woman.Alan Jackson, Where where You When The World Stopped Turning? These guys have told stories with meaning and substance. Taylor Swift, doesn't even compare, to the meaning of what most country music stands for. Maybe when she matures, and finds substance to write about besides her fantasies, then maybe she'll be worth listening to.
BlackCatAlum-No not all Country music songs are about that. See the songs I posted above.
mrsportsfan Wrote:Her writing her own music is a great thing, if she wasn't like Kenny Chesney, who writes about his darn beach songs everytime. He's a one trick poney and so is she.
She is over marketed and everywhere. I suggest all the Country Music Stars stay home until they she is over herself some.

WHAT are you talking about? You must not listen to much Kenny Chesney. If you really did. You would see a lot of his songs relate to our time period and experiences. Yes, he has done a couple of Island style records: "Be as You Are" - 2005, "Just Who am I: Poets & Pirates" - 2007 and "Lucky Ole Sun" - 2008. Hey if it sales...write it and sale it. At least he is writing his own stuff and being real. Instead of having an album full of someone elses songs.
But, A LOT of his earlier music (the other 10 albums), didn't have hardly any beach music on them. Some really great songs that brought back some memories for me.
But, I'm also a Jimmy Buffett fan. So I kinda like some of Kenny's Island music. :Thumbs:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PwWkV4HQ4"]YouTube- Alan Jackson - Where Were You (Live Video)[/ame]
guess you guys also like Kanye West and condone what he did to Taylor at the MTV Music Awards. Well, I don't..I will NEVER listen to another song of his and I swear if I ever saw him in person...I would punch him right dead between the eys! What a piece of crap! What did he do?
mrsportsfan Wrote:I don't even understand how you can compare the meanings of songs that Garth wrote, like The Thunder Rolls, Brooks and Dunn's, I Believe. Brad Paisley's, Waitin on a Woman.Alan Jackson, Where where You When The World Stopped Turning? These guys have told stories with meaning and substance. Taylor Swift, doesn't even compare, to the meaning of what most country music stands for. Maybe when she matures, and finds substance to write about besides her fantasies, then maybe she'll be worth listening to.

OK here ya go:
GB - Thunder Rolls - Song about a cheating man.
TS - Should've said no - Song about a cheating man

She is also telling stories. Just most don't relate to you and I. But, does that make her terrible for Country Music. That Allen Jackson song isn't country. But, it was something he felt and experienced and wrote.

Check this link out: http://www.aolradioblog.com/2009/11/09/b...ift-songs/

She is telling stories....just to the younger listeners her age. Which I think is great that they are listening to her instead of some of the four letter word filled crap that is out there.
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:guess you guys also like Kanye West and condone what he did to Taylor at the MTV Music Awards. Well, I don't..I will NEVER listen to another song of his and I swear if I ever saw him in person...I would punch him right dead between the eys! What a piece of crap! What did he do?

Pull it up on youtube and see it for yourself. Garbage.
mrsportsfan Wrote:

GREAT song...Sung by a Country Music Singer. But, NOT a country song.

Here's on for ya.

"In Color" - Jamey Johnson
Real Country........... Swift certainly is NOT and most of it is pop.

Country is on the verge of dying but Jamey Johnson is certainly doing his part to carry it on.

I agree with OTH, Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Merle Haggard, Hank Jr., Tom T. Hall, Buck Owens, Lorreta Lynn and George Jones are Country music. Dwight Yoakam did a good job for awhile.
I believe, one of the best from Brooks and Dunn, gets you right down deep
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5z-jjWyAJQ"]YouTube- Brooks & Dunn - Believe[/ame]
Alan Jackson's song is not country, and Taylor's is? You better have your hearing checked, hers is closer to soft pop, than any darn country music song. Jeez people, are you that off base?
I like Taylor Swift, then again I am 19!
mrsportsfan Wrote:Alan Jackson's song is not country, and Taylor's is? You better have your hearing checked, hers is closer to soft pop, than any darn country music song. Jeez people, are you that off base?

DID I say Taylor's was. Nope, go read the last 2 lines of my last quote of you.

We ALL know Alan Jackson is country. But, you know that when he first hit the scene...they talked about his designer/fake look with his snakeskin boots and torn jeans. But, us younger listeners loved him.

But, he grew up and turned out alright. Just like Taylor will.

Why can't you get what I am saying.

She is a great young talent that has morals and values and is doing a great thing for our young listeners.
This Garth Brooks song from the Oklahoma Bombings had meaning, have we forgotten, what these singers and songwriters brought to us?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FuPOO1OdhM&feature=PlayList&p=5C0303AAED6ED554&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=24"]YouTube- Garth Brooks The Change[/ame]
My problem isn't she is in country music, it is that she is dominating it, and the pop culture, doesn't that concern anyone with the talent of music she puts out.
mrsportsfan Wrote:My problem isn't she is in country music, it is that she is dominating it, and the pop culture, doesn't that concern anyone with the talent of music she puts out.

No one has forgotten these guys....they are LEGENDS!

How on earth can you say she isn't talented? She won a National Poetry Contest in the 4th grade and started writing her own songs at age 10.

I seem to remeber Leann Rimes doing a little of the Pop and Country thing also. Faith Hill also. Garth Brooks was on both charts. And if I'm not msitaken...Johnny Cash was also.

You can't do this if you aren't talented. Plain and simple.
Pages: 1 2 3