Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: McDonald's All-American Game Nominees from Kentucky
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats to all nominees!

Taylor Epley Trinity High School Louisville KY
Josh Sewell Trinity High School Louisville KY
Colt Barnhill East Carter High School Grayson KY
Jomari Bradshaw Waggener Traditional High School Louisville KY
Ian Chiles Ballard High School Louisville KY
Tate Cox Knott County Central High School Hindman KY
Dakota Euton Scott County High School Georgetown KY
Donovan Gibbs Iroquois High School Louisville KY
Kevin Glenn Louisville Male High School Louisville KY
Ge-lawn Guyn Scott County High School Georgetown KY
Cameron Hall Glasgow High School Glasgow KY
Tim Henderson Christian Academy of Louisville Louisville KY
Chad Jackson Scott County High School Georgetown KY
Thomas Jackson Jeffersontown High School Louisville KY
Ricardo Johnson Holmes High School Covington KY
Travis Johnston Grayson County High School Leitchfield KY
Keisten Jones Ballard High School Louisville KY
Elisha Justice Shelby Valley High School Pikeville KY
Cody Miller Knox Central High School Barbourville KY
Elijah Pittman Holmes High School Covington KY
Chris Richard Southern High School Louisville KY
Orlando Rutledge Fern Creek Traditional High School Louisville KY
Sean Samsel duPont Manual High School Louisville KY
Matt St. John South Laurel High School London KY
Stuart Stamper Knott County Central High School Hindman KY
Clint Stepp June Buchanan High School Pippa Passes KY
Delquan Thomas Eastern High School Louisville KY
Curtis Washington Elizabethtown High School Elizabethtown KY
Aaron Watts McCreary Central High School Stearns KY
Josh Whitaker Hazard High School Hazard KY
Shaquille Wilson Christian County High School Hopkinsville KY
TRINITY ATHLETICS

January 27, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sewell, Epley Earn 2010 McDonald’s All-American Game Nomination
Shamrocks Are 19-2, Ranked #1 in State of Kentucky

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Trinity seniors Josh Sewell and Taylor Epley have been named to the list of nominees for the 2010 McDonald’s All-American Game. The game will be held on March 31, 2010 at Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The pair became the eighth and ninth players from Trinity to be named nominees for the McDonald’s All-American game since 2005 with their selection.

The 2010 game will mark the 33rd year of the event. The 2007 game was played in Louisville’s Freedom Hall.

It marked the fifth time in six years that Trinity has had a nominee on the list and the second time in that six-year span that Trinity has had multiple selections to the nominee list.

Past nominees from Trinity since 2005 include Zach Berry (2005), Bret Saxton (2005), Kyle Saxton (2005), Charlie Gonzalez (2005), Chad Byron (2006), Tanner Jacobs (2007) and Matt Chambless (2008).

Sewell, a Miami (Ohio) signee, has positioned himself to become the school’s all-time leading scorer, needing just 15 points to tie Lee Morrison for the top spot on the school’s career list at 1,317 points. Sewell has earned most valuable player honors at the top three in-season tournaments the state of Kentucky has to offer this season.

Epley is among the state’s best three-point field goal shooters, connecting on over 48% of his three-point attempts. He has been named to the All-Tournament team of three in-season tournaments this season. He averaged 17.0 points per game during Trinity’s historic run at the King of the Bluegrass in December.

Trinity is 19-2 on the season and ranked #1 in the state of Kentucky entering Friday’s game at Daviess County. Trinity has won 17 straight games, the states longest active winning streak. The team holds a 17-0 record in games away from home this season, the only team in the state that has yet to suffer a defeat away from home.

Earlier this season, the Shamrocks completed the “Trinity Trifecta,” becoming the first team to win Kentucky’s three most prestigious in-season tournaments in the same season, the 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass at Fairdale High School, 2009 Republic Bank Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic High School and the 2010 Republic Bank/Coca-Cola Louisville Invitational Tournament.

In winning the Louisville Invitational Tournament, Trinity defeated Ballard, Eastern and Jeffersontown in a 29-hour period. The trio of teams, along with the Shamrocks, are generally considered the top four teams in the Seventh Region in the state of Kentucky, one of the toughest leagues or regions in the nation this season.
Congrats to all the nominees!
Not to take away from anyone on this list, but anyone can get on this list as long as a coach nominated them...

This is just the first step of 5 or 6 more during the selection process.
How many (best estimate) will get selected from this list?
I'm just curious?
It has been a while since someone from Kentucky made the game, but the list is still a who's who of the top 30-50 players in the senior class on a year basis. It is a good starting point for the Kentucky All-Star Game Nominee list.

Scotty Hopson would be the most recent, but not many recently before that.
100%SUCCESS Wrote:How many (best estimate) will get selected from this list?
I'm just curious?

Realistically, probably no one.
Congrats to all the nominees! It would be absolutely awesome to see Elisha Justice in the All-American game!:rockon:
^ Agreed. :Thumbs:
leecoukfan Wrote:Congrats to all the nominees! It would be absolutely awesome to see Elisha Justice in the All-American game!:rockon:
Not a chance. Honestly I don't think there will be a single player from KY make the McDonalds All-American team.

However, congratulations to those that got nominated. I would love to see someone from KY on the team, but the chances are very very slim.
leecoukfan Wrote:Congrats to all the nominees! It would be absolutely awesome to see Elisha Justice in the All-American game!:rockon:
Awesome, indeed!

Someone just had to say it didn't they?:HitWall:
PC_You_Know Wrote:Someone just had to say it didn't they?:HitWall:

Yep lol.
How the above players were selected:

The Search Begins
The initial list of potential names is gathered by Sports America, Inc., which has worked with McDonald's in
connection with the McDonald's All American Game since it was founded in 1978. Names are submitted by
members of the Selection Committee as well as state representatives who religiously follow the prep scene in
their areas. In addition, Sports America subscribes to every major basketball publication and is read very
carefully by its staff to ensure that some deserving players are not overlooked. Many rising seniors make this
list based on an excellent junior year or for having an outstanding summer participating in summer camps
and AAU tournaments. There is no set number of how many players can be nominated throughout the
country. Traditionally, the final total is between 1,500 to 1,800 for boys and 900 to 1,200 for girls.

Link to the rest of the process
kywldcat01 Wrote:How the above players were selected:

The Search Begins
The initial list of potential names is gathered by Sports America, Inc., which has worked with McDonald's in
connection with the McDonald's All American Game since it was founded in 1978. Names are submitted by
members of the Selection Committee as well as state representatives who religiously follow the prep scene in
their areas. In addition, Sports America subscribes to every major basketball publication and is read very
carefully by its staff to ensure that some deserving players are not overlooked. Many rising seniors make this
list based on an excellent junior year or for having an outstanding summer participating in summer camps
and AAU tournaments. There is no set number of how many players can be nominated throughout the
country. Traditionally, the final total is between 1,500 to 1,800 for boys and 900 to 1,200 for girls.

Link to the rest of the process

When I read the earlier post, I was just going to get this from their site.

Yes, this is nothing new. Kentucky usually submits a list of approximately 40 candidates. Looks like this is less than typical this year. There will be no one from Kentucky that gets on this. Those slected almost always fall into the Rivals top 30 ranked Seniors in America. What is the highest ranked Kentucky player on the Rivals list?

I've got a great idea!!!! Let's start a new thread on why or why not Elisha Justice should be select for this team.
Or Pittman, or Johnson from Holmes. I hear they're the best players in the WORLD!!
It is also surprising Timmy Knipp was not nominated, the leading scorer in the State this year and more than held his own last year against some top notch competition! Maybe he will be yet, or is this list final?
100%SUCCESS Wrote:How many (best estimate) will get selected from this list?
I'm just curious?

Congrats to all the nominees, there are some very good players on the list but to be honest there is no way that I can see any of these players making it. Like someone else said the ones making the team are probably the top 30 to 50(not for sure on that though) or so players in the nation and as far as I know there is not anyone close to that range in KY.:popcorn:
Stardust Wrote:When I read the earlier post, I was just going to get this from their site.

Yes, this is nothing new. Kentucky usually submits a list of approximately 40 candidates. Looks like this is less than typical this year. There will be no one from Kentucky that gets on this. Those slected almost always fall into the Rivals top 30 ranked Seniors in America. What is the highest ranked Kentucky player on the Rivals list?

Ricardo Johnson and Elijah Pittman were ranked top 100 in the preseason by Maxpreps but the only one mentioned in Rivals is Ge'Lawn Guyn at around 130-140.

HD28 Wrote:Or Pittman, or Johnson from Holmes. I hear they're the best players in the WORLD!!

Is a comment like this really needed? If you read a post from mine earlier you'd see that I didn't think this was a very prestigious honor for ANYONE on the list since anyone can be on the list as long as a coach submits their name.

And nobody said those two were all world so let it go.

dortonite Wrote:It is also surprising Timmy Knipp was not nominated, the leading scorer in the State this year and more than held his own last year against some top notch competition! Maybe he will be yet, or is this list final?

This is for seniors only. I'd assume Timmy will be on the list next year.
dortonite Wrote:It is also surprising Timmy Knipp was not nominated, the leading scorer in the State this year and more than held his own last year against some top notch competition! Maybe he will be yet, or is this list final?

That's on his coach then...
HD28 Wrote:Or Pittman, or Johnson from Holmes. I hear they're the best players in the WORLD!!

Considering that Kentucky is the WORLD, then you are 100% right:popcorn:

What's wrong with that?!
Stardust Wrote:That's on his coach then...

Timmy is a junior...that's why he isn't listed. Same with Chane Behanan, Vinny Zollo, George Fant, Robbie Stenzel, and Remy Abell to name a few.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Timmy is a junior...that's why he isn't listed. Same with Chane Behanan, Vinny Zollo, George Fant, Robbie Stenzel, and Remy Abell to name a few.

Thx. I was only responding to the poster, not that I knew what grade Knipp was.:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Thx. I was only responding to the poster, not that I knew what grade Knipp was.:Thumbs:

:Thumbs:
Congrats to all!!!