Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: East Carter 75 - Ashland 60
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final - 1/26

Ashland--------17--15--17--11---60
East Carter
----18--24--14--19---75

Ashland: Withrow 15, Gregg 13, Delaney 10, Whetsel 7, Skaggs 6, Johnson 5, Hunter 2, Swift 2.
East Carter: Barnhill 24 (12 reb), Adams 15, Bair 14, Guneng 9, Robinson 9, Buck 2, McDavid 2.

=====

Ashland (15-4) at George Rogers Clark (17-4) -- Fri 1/29 7:30pm
East Carter (14-4) vs. Boyd Co. (1-13) -- Fri 1/29 7:30pm
Colt Barnhill is the best big man in the region - bar none. Ashland really had no answer for him. When he gets the ball in the low post, the only person that is going to stop him is himself. Ashland tried to double him, but it didn't matter - he still hit the shots.

Baker has done a good job of creating depth on his bench. Over the summer, he didn't play games to win, but to develop the second five. Ashland usually wears down most of their opponents, but tonight, Baker was able to rest his key players, and still have some good minutes from his bench.

The floor looked like it might have been a little slick (like dusty), and it didn't help the quicker kids on the floor. Adams played extremely well for East, and kids like Buck and Genung also played solidly.

Good win for East, but these two teams are more evenly matched than the final margin of this game shows. East outplayed Ashland, and they were the better team tonight.
Nice win for EC. I thought the Tomcats could win this game
I'm surprised by the result and margin in this one. I thought Ashland had established themselves as the team to beat in the region. I guess I forgot about East Carter.
I think this convincing win makes East Carter the favorite in the 16th. Barnhill is a very good player.
Definitely hard to watch from my side of the gym. The floor was indeed slick as Squidward has already pointed out. If I had any doubts about Barnhill before the game they were cleared up by the time it was over! It was one of those games where it seemed like every loose ball wound up in the opponents hands. I haven't heard the saying "the ball didn't bounce our way" for a long time but, I saw it happen tonight. East is a class program and I know their coaches personally, trust me, they are some of the best. Congratulations to the Raiders for a good win. They conduct themselves well on the court!
HollaBack Wrote:I think this convincing win makes East Carter the favorite in the 16th. Barnhill is a very good player.

Kyle Bair doesn't hurt them any either! That 3 he hit after Ashland had closed it to a 2 point margin was the biggest shot of the game IMO
Well said, Gapman. Bair is one of the main cogs for East, and I didn't mean to slight him. He does a great job handling the ball, and making sure that East is in the correct set that Baker wants. As you said, his three (around the 5 minute mark) was a big shot tonight.

I don't think that this game shows that Ashland can't beat East - and I'm sure that Baker would be the first to tell you that. What it does show is that the top 3 teams are each fully capable of beating each other, and you have to be playing your best when you step on the floor with any of them.

No doubt about it - East was clicking tonight, and they showed that they are talented and deep. Deeper than most people think.
Squid Wrote:Well said, Gapman. Bair is one of the main cogs for East, and I didn't mean to slight him. He does a great job handling the ball, and making sure that East is in the correct set that Baker wants. As you said, his three (around the 5 minute mark) was a big shot tonight.

I don't think that this game shows that Ashland can't beat East - and I'm sure that Baker would be the first to tell you that. What it does show is that the top 3 teams are each fully capable of beating each other, and you have to be playing your best when you step on the floor with any of them.

No doubt about it - East was clicking tonight, and they showed that they are talented and deep. Deeper than most people think.

Right, it's not a bad thing that Ashland, Fairview and East are competitive. In fact, that situation will only make them all better. That's what some of the other regions have going for them and I'm glad it's happening in the 16th. Before anybody gets their hackles up, I'm not saying we have leveled the playing field, I'm saying a cake walk through one's district/region is not a good thing.
Congrats EC
Good analysis by both gapman and Squid. A second game between the two schools would rate as a tossup with the venue playing an important role. The region seems to have three fairly competitive teams with Elliott County a possible wildcard.

I have to add that our Rose Hill "alumni" (Bair, Gregg, etc) are contributing.
Sounds like Barnhill is the real deal and EC - nice win EC :Thumbs:
Truth Wrote:Good analysis by both gapman and Squid. A second game between the two schools would rate as a tossup with the venue playing an important role. The region seems to have three fairly competitive teams with Elliott County a possible wildcard.

I was at the game it was good to watch Ashland plays very hard especiall yon the defensive end they just were not hitting the 3 tonight. I do not understand how Greeg at this point i nthe season is not starting now. He would start on any team in the 16th region and IMO should be starting for Ashland. Maybe Squid or Gapman can shed some light on this. I understand at the start of the year to keep chemsity but at this point in the season I don't see how it is in the best interest of the "team" not to have him starting. Just my take on watching them play I wish Ashland the best Friday against Clark I hope they represent our region well.
Truth Wrote:Good analysis by both gapman and Squid. A second game between the two schools would rate as a tossup with the venue playing an important role. The region seems to have three fairly competitive teams with Elliott County a possible wildcard.

In all honesty, the kids that attended Rose Hill tend to be more experienced, due to the AAU schedule that they played during their younger years. In my opinion, that is a route that more schools should travel. There is absolutely no denying the payoffs that come from it. Like the old saying goes - "There is no substitute for experience".

Bair is probably one of the best examples Truth could have picked. He does not really have a "basketball body", but he has great composure, an excellent feel for the game, and he sees the floor very well. All of that is directly attributable to good coaching in his youth, a good work ethic, and (probably) most of all, to his years of playing 70-100 games a summer when he was younger.

Contrast that with a kid that plays a 20 game schedule in grade school through middle school, and it doesn't take long to see the difference add up.

Truth takes great pride in the success of the kids that played for Rose Hill - and rightfully so.
16BBall Fan Wrote:I was at the game it was good to watch Ashland plays very hard especiall yon the defensive end they just were not hitting the 3 tonight. I do not understand how Greeg at this point i nthe season is not starting now. He would start on any team in the 16th region and IMO should be starting for Ashland. Maybe Squid or Gapman can shed some light on this. I understand at the start of the year to keep chemsity but at this point in the season I don't see how it is in the best interest of the "team" not to have him starting. Just my take on watching them play I wish Ashland the best Friday against Clark I hope they represent our region well.

Squid analyzed it well from what I understand.
east carter is good in something,way to go
cuppett777 Wrote:east carter is good in something,way to go

Yep, kids from Grayson are terrific at graduating, getting solid upper level jobs and hiring Belfry alums to fetch lunch or coffee.:eyeroll:
cuppett777 Wrote:east carter is good in something,way to go

Basketball team is 14-4, Girls BB team is 15-3, Baseball team is defending region champs, sounds like they are good at different things.
16BBall Fan Wrote:I was at the game it was good to watch Ashland plays very hard especiall yon the defensive end they just were not hitting the 3 tonight. I do not understand how Greeg at this point i nthe season is not starting now. He would start on any team in the 16th region and IMO should be starting for Ashland. Maybe Squid or Gapman can shed some light on this. I understand at the start of the year to keep chemsity but at this point in the season I don't see how it is in the best interest of the "team" not to have him starting. Just my take on watching them play I wish Ashland the best Friday against Clark I hope they represent our region well.

Thanks 16th for your kind words about Ashland. Like you, I believe they really 'get after it'. As far as the rest of it goes, coach Biggs doesn't check in with me to share his reasons why he does things. I'm not trying to be curt with my reply either, I don't know anyone that he confides in about things like that. As others have observed on here Gregg is having his share of success and I am glad to see it happening for him!
OU812 Wrote:Yep, kids from Grayson are terrific at graduating, getting solid upper level jobs and hiring Belfry alums to fetch lunch or coffee.:eyeroll:

Ouch!!!

That's gonna leave a mark.
gapman Wrote:Thanks 16th for your kind words about Ashland. Like you, I believe they really 'get after it'. As far as the rest of it goes, coach Biggs doesn't check in with me to share his reasons why he does things. I'm not trying to be curt with my reply either, I don't know anyone that he confides in about things like that. As others have observed on here Gregg is having his share of success and I am glad to see it happening for him!

I'm going to have to shout out an "Amen" to Gapman's post. It is nice of you to mention the Ashland kids' effort, 16BB. Gregg has definitely shown that he earns his playing time, and based on the results, it should only go up with the passage of time.
gapman Wrote:Thanks 16th for your kind words about Ashland. Like you, I believe they really 'get after it'. As far as the rest of it goes, coach Biggs doesn't check in with me to share his reasons why he does things. I'm not trying to be curt with my reply either, I don't know anyone that he confides in about things like that. As others have observed on here Gregg is having his share of success and I am glad to see it happening for him!

The boys who start for Ashland have paid their dues. I think that is important and I believe that Biggs operates that way. Gregg is getting plenty of playing time.

Starting is overblown. Playing when the game is on the line is far more important.
Cuppett is making a run to Starbucks, you guys want anything?:Thumbs:
OU812 Wrote:Cuppett is making a run to Starbucks, you guys want anything?:Thumbs:

:thatsfunn

Hey no offense taken I just meant you all see Ashland more than I have. I saw Gregg play several times last year and he always gave great effort and put up good numbers as he did last night. I just thought you may have some thought about it. Good luck the rest of the season I think Ashland and East will meet up again in early March.
Thank you 16th Fan. That would be great if it happens, I hope you're right.
gapman Wrote:Right, it's not a bad thing that Ashland, Fairview and East are competitive. In fact, that situation will only make them all better. That's what some of the other regions have going for them and I'm glad it's happening in the 16th. Before anybody gets their hackles up, I'm not saying we have leveled the playing field, I'm saying a cake walk through one's district/region is not a good thing.
Closely matched teams are a plus for any region, you are correct!