Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnny Gomes To The Cubs???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While popular speculation has focused on Jermaine Dye, the Cubs appear to be focused on free agent Jonny Gomes in their search for a fourth outfielder, according to a baseball source with knowledge of the Cubs’ interest.

Gomes, who hit 20 home runs in 281 at-bats for Cincinnati before being non-tendered last month, is one of a pool of at least five outfielders the Cubs are looking at, but comes with the advantages of relative youth (29), a willingness to sign a one-year deal to fill the backup role the Cubs have available and a strong desire to play for the Cubs.

``Absolutely,’’ said Gomes, confirming discussions. ``I’m a big fan of the game, a student of the game, and I follow a lot of history. I’m not only a player but also a client. Obviously, I’m a big fan of the Cubs, and a big fan of the city – it’s probably one of my favorite cities on the tour, as well as my wife’s.’’

Gomes, who lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., a few miles away from the Cubs’ Mesa spring training facility, wouldn’t comment on details of where talks stood, but he said he feels he’s a better fit than some of the other players the Cubs have contacted.

``Most guys are [seeking multi-year deals]. I think that’s kind of where I stand out with other free agents,’’ he said. ``With Rocco [Baldelli], Xavier Nady, Reed Johnson and Jermaine Dye, I’m one of the youngest. If I was ever to hold out for a multiyear deal or a while lot of money, it wouldn’t be after a year with [281] at-bats, regardless what the run-production numbers were. I definitely want to be treated fair, but I’m not really looking to break the bank or for a lot of years. I’m looking to help the team get to the playoffs.

``With the guys on the free agent market out there right now, I think I can bring a lot to the Cubs with what I have. I’m comfortable playing left and right, and messing round with some ground balls at first base in spring training.’’

He’s also comfortable with manager Lou Piniella, his manager in Tampa Bay when Gomes finished third in the American League Rookie of the Year voting in 2005.

Gomes, whose role would be as a right-field starter against most lefties and backup left fielder and first baseman, hits 50 points better against lefties (.274) than righties in his career, with far better on-base and slugging splits, too.

He’s been criticized for being a below-average fielder but also has a reputation for playing hard and with little fear defensively. And the smaller outfields in the National League Central could be a fit in offsetting any lack of range.

Gomes, who says he’s been in contact with the five usual suspects of teams looking this winter for corner outfielders (including the Yankees, Royals and Braves), said another factor separating him from other free agents, such as Dye:

``What the Cubs have to offer, I’m totally OK with,’’ he said. ``They’re asking for a fourth outfielder, and others are looking to start. I’m just looking to get in there. And I think it would be great to get back with Lou. I know how hard he is on young players and expects a lot, but we built a pretty good relationship in Tampa.

``I think it would be a good fit for both sides.’’

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/2004747,j...21.article