Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Channing Fugate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Will Kiffin leaving for USC affect his college choice?
First, he was committed before Kiffin even got the job. Second, I would assume he has already signed a National Letter of intent, which means he has to honor his commitment or he can't play D1 football next year.
Stardust Wrote:First, he was committed before Kiffin even got the job. Second, I would assume he has already signed a National Letter of intent, which means he has to honor his commitment or he can't play D1 football next year.

You dont sign a national letter of intent until Feb. So no, he has not signed one. Only verbally committed.
I thought I read some where that he was attending UT this semester.
Stardust Wrote:First, he was committed before Kiffin even got the job. Second, I would assume he has already signed a National Letter of intent, which means he has to honor his commitment or he can't play D1 football next year.

Mama Bear Wrote:I thought I read some where that he was attending UT this semester.

I am pretty sure he enrolled at UT early but has not signed his LOI yet. In either case, with such a dramatic coaching change Channing will basically be free to go elsewhere if he so chooses.

The fear I have for Fugate is that UT brings in an entirely new staff and they re-evaluate this past season and choose to not offer him a scholarship. Whatever decision is made, I hope it come sfast for Fugates sake so either he can remain on campus without doubts, or he can look to other schools before they fill up their scholarships.
To Kiffin I say - good riddance. As for Channing - he should be fine if the university has put in paper that he has been offered and accepted a scholarship. A new coach would have a hard time pulling not honoring that committment.
Football1 Wrote:To Kiffin I say - good riddance. As for Channing - he should be fine if the university has put in paper that he has been offered and accepted a scholarship. A new coach would have a hard time pulling not honoring that committment.

He has given a verbal committment.. it's not official until he signs a National Letter of Intent.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:He has given a verbal committment.. it's not official until he signs a National Letter of Intent.

In coming coach dont have to accept commintments,but Channing should be able to find others that will accept him i am sure if UT dont want him he would be better to go somewhere else reather than stay and not fit their program...UK,WKU or EKU i am sure would like to have him...ILL,Purdue Standford many would like to have him...usually coaches get kids that fit their style of coaching and thats the bottom line u fit or you dont!!
untill you signs N.L.I. he can go any where he wants!!!
Being so late in the recruiting season I think it would be hard for UT not to still accept him. Some kids might leave with Kiffen and trying to fill out the recruiting class with only a few weeks until signing day would be difficult. I would think that it is still his choice to stay or go. If he leaves he might not get to go to one of the better school that recruited him because they might be full but I wouldn't expect them not to honor the scholarship.
If he's already enrolled and attended a class then he can't leave without sitting out a year, letter of intent or not.
Jackson05 Wrote:If he's already enrolled and attended a class then he can't leave without sitting out a year, letter of intent or not.

The NCAA could and would give him a waiver.
I hate this for him. I'd love to see him at EKU.
I don't see Channing going anywhere else. He is only on a verbal commitment so he could choose to go somewhere else if he wanted to but he's not going to be able to find another team that is the same caliber as Tennessee if he decommitts, so unless he was going there just to play for Lane Kiffin I think he will still go there because he originally committed under Phillip Fulmer.
the Decommits have already started for Tennessee when 4* Defensive Tackle Calvin Smith decommitted

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/bar...&mid=&rid=

NOTE: you have to subscribe to read the whole story from rivals, but however it does show some of the story without subscribing.

Channing committed after Kiffin was hired. He verbally committed this summer. His committment is non-binding until he signs a NLI the first Wednesday in February. Hopefully the new coach will honor the previous coaches recruits.
...unless you enroll in and attend school. I don't know if he already has, but if so, he's stuck unless he goes down a level or sits out a year.
Jackson05 Wrote:...unless you enroll in and attend school. I don't know if he already has, but if so, he's stuck unless he goes down a level or sits out a year.

Once again.... if they revoke his scholarship he could/would be granted a waiver from the NCAA so he doesn't have to sit out.
i hope he still gets to go there but it wouldnt surprise me if the new coach dont offer him!!
if the new coach looks at his 08 highlights i think he might think twice at bringing him to the program
Pond creek nation Wrote:if the new coach looks at his 08 highlights i think he might think twice at bringing him to the program

09 my bad
WNOX radio was reporting this morning that Kiffin and Ogeron (sp?) were calling UT recruits last night and asking them to commit to USC. This was before current players even knew he was leaving. They also reported that Kiffin and staff had told players coming in this semester that they should not attend classes... thought being that if they never attended classes they could transfer this semester and be a late term transfer to USC and not have to sit out a year.

Does anyone know if Fugate was contacted by Kiffin or Staff last night....or were they leaving him for UT?
He has attendended class and participated in bowl practices so if he chose to leave he and the other 2 early entries would have to file papers and be granted permission to go OR sit out a year without permision.
Apparently they hadn't attended classes yet, according to this report. I bet his folks are a nervous wreck over this. I sure wish him well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPAJTGOSK00&feature=popt00us12"]YouTube- Ed Orgeron trying to screw UT football one last time[/ame]
ESPN reported yesterday that the incoming UT freshmon that had already attended classes this semester were now locked in to UT
I heard this as well. If they leave now they'll have to go through the transfer process.
Kids a horse saw him play 2 years ago what position are they looking for him to play?
I think everything will be just fine good luck to him.
UT is a good fit for Fugate, but I think UT needs Fugate more at this point.
Westside Wrote:I hate this for him. I'd love to see him at EKU.

Why leave a D1 SEC team for a D1-aa team? I think Fugate should be fine with Tenn, look forward to seeing him next year
I guess we will know if Feb. I don't know why he would not want to stay. UT is a great opportunity for anyone, I don't care who the coach is.
Pages: 1 2