Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2011 WYMT Classic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What teams will be in the field next year?Sv should be since they:Cheerlead are the champs.Will they repeat?I think Letcher will be in it and maybe win it!!
Shelby Valley will have a MAJOR drop off the next couple of years. If they are in the tournament I would almost guarantee you that they won't win it...
SV will be down some but with Caudill and Belter from Dorton and Richardson from Virgie coming into the system they should be very representative with the young talent.
Knott will definitely be back. I don't think a lot of people are looking past this season to see that Knott will still be top 3 team in the 14th next year and has a good chance of winning the 2011 region.
PATS2011 Wrote:Knott will definitely be back. I don't think a lot of people are looking past this season to see that Knott will still be top 3 team in the 14th next year and has a good chance of winning the 2011 region.

All of the top teams in the 14th will be losing alot of talent. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and which team establishes itself as the favorite.
House Wrote:All of the top teams in the 14th will be losing alot of talent. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and which team establishes itself as the favorite.

Defintely.
Hazard is returning Back, Olinger, and BJ.
Knott, Davis, Roberts, who else?
Perry, is losing 5 seniors that play a lot. Will return Big Dillion, Brewer, and Axl. Perry has a lot of young talent too.
Breathitt, I'm really not sure?
Aslan Wrote:Defintely.
Perry, is losing 5 seniors that play a lot. Will return Big Dillion, Brewer, and Axl. Perry has a lot of young talent too.

Knott will returns all of the players from a team that this summer went to Lexington and won the jv state title excluding Roberts, given that other jv teams did not play all their other players, is still impressive.
Perry does have a lot of young talent.
IMO Hazard will be tougher next year than they are this year
and I'm not sure who Breathitt returns either

Yeah Knott still has great guard play with davis, great big man in roberts who will be a HUGE force in the 14th next year, and the fire power of Slone, not to mention a whole deep bench of rising talent. They have a legit bid at the 14th region championship next year.
Quote:Defintely.

i think that Mikie Slone has alot of talent,
But no one ever gives him any props

It does not matter who Breathitt is returning as players they will be in great shape because they are returning that super star coach Doug Noble.
Since the tounrey will be at Perry next year, they are one of the 14th region teams of the 4 they try to get in. I would say the other has to be Hazard with their young talent they will return. They other two are between Breathitt, Knott and you have to put Buckhorn in their, what grade are their players in? (Day, Colwell, Stidham) If they are back, they are a definite. Other teams from other regions could be:
15th
East Ridge, good young talent coming up for all 3 of these
Pikeville
Paintsville
13th
Clay is a given every year
Knox is another possibility
Corbin or South Laurel never come but would be nice to see them

Should be another great tourney.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Since the tounrey will be at Perry next year, they are one of the 14th region teams of the 4 they try to get in. I would say the other has to be Hazard with their young talent they will return. They other two are between Breathitt, Knott and you have to put Buckhorn in their, what grade are their players in? (Day, Colwell, Stidham) If they are back, they are a definite. Other teams from other regions could be:
15th
Pikeville
Paintsville
13th

Harlan County would be a good team from the 13th. Plus the chance of Mike Jones coaching against Clay on television. :Thumbs:

Is the "4 teams from the 14th region" a requirement or just what they've always done?
I would imagine that as the 2010 champion, Shelby Valley would be offered a chance to come back and defend their crown.

However, SV might decline simply because they would have no shot to win it. SV will be in a MAJOR rebuilding year in the 2010/11 season, and likely would be a first-round exit from the WYMT.

I've said it before, but the 15th region will be WIDE open next year. Several teams will be contending for the regional title, and SV won't be one of them. It will take a couple of years until this year's Virgie and Dorton squads get up there for SV to be back again.
More Cowbell Wrote:I would imagine that as the 2010 champion, Shelby Valley would be offered a chance to come back and defend their crown.

However, SV might decline simply because they would have no shot to win it. SV will be in a MAJOR rebuilding year in the 2010/11 season, and likely would be a first-round exit from the WYMT.

I've said it before, but the 15th region will be WIDE open next year. Several teams will be contending for the regional title, and SV won't be one of them. It will take a couple of years until this year's Virgie and Dorton squads get up there for SV to be back again.

I'd say Valley will be winning the 15th region again in at the least 3 years.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Since the tounrey will be at Perry next year, they are one of the 14th region teams of the 4 they try to get in. I would say the other has to be Hazard with their young talent they will return. They other two are between Breathitt, Knott and you have to put Buckhorn in their, what grade are their players in? (Day, Colwell, Stidham) If they are back, they are a definite. Other teams from other regions could be:
15th
Pikeville
Paintsville
13th

Colwell and Stidham are seniors, but I belive they return everybody else.
i think buckhorn will take it.. i think they only lose stidham if even that
The AAU program for the feeder schools of Shelby Valley is not what it used to be...high school talent is developed way before high school...
d2hoopsfan Wrote:Harlan County would be a good team from the 13th. Plus the chance of Mike Jones coaching against Clay on television. :Thumbs:

Is the "4 teams from the 14th region" a requirement or just what they've always done?

Definitely Harlan County, forgot about the new school. And it's not a requirement for the 4 teams, but it's a good thing for the tourney for the crowd and travel for the teams that are close by. All about getting the most people in the seats, and with having close teams brings an opportunity of bigger crowds. Don't always work out, but it's the idea. :biggrin:
kcc should win it all
I think betsy layne is in it next year.
I would like to make one point about the WYMT Tourney. EVERY TEAM in our coverage area within the 13th, 14th and 15th regions get invited. Many people ask why this team or that team is always in the tournament. We invite all 49 teams. Some are not good enough (we all know who they are), some refuse to show (teams will not be listed), and others have prior commitments. By the time it's all said and done, we only have around 15-20 teams to choose from. From 1988-95, there was not nearly as many Holiday tournaments or other invitational tournaments.
To finish the previous post: These days schools have many more options that just the WYMT Tournament. Someone mentioned about having '4 14th region teams'. I wish we could avoid this. However, sometimes trying to get the best available teams dictates us taking four from the 14th region. I would love for all of the schools within the mountains to have an attitude of "wanting to be in the Mountain Classic". Wishful thinking...
I love getting the truth. Wow, thanks milam.

Love that jim frasure
15th
Pikeville
Paintsville

13th

Belfry's Fresh and Soph. groups is better than all 3 of these, Paintsville with the addition of Slone is close though.
15th
Pikeville
Paintsville
13th

Stidham and Colwell are both seniors. They have NO Juniors. Almost the entire team are sophomores. They will return some good talent but replacing Stidham and Colwell will be tough. I'd love to see them back in.