Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Holmes 53 Mason County 47
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from the Fieldhouse.
Any stats?
25 to 12 in Free throws for Holmes and Setty for Mason only had 2 points.
I'm so proud of the Mason County kids and the heart they showed after falling behind 21-6.

Cutting the lead down to 1 at 31-30 going into the 4th. Holmes just the better team and got the job done, but anyone who wants to hand the 10th to Clark might want to look at the heart and defense the Royals play with.

Mason County now has a chance to really pile up the wins as the playoffs get closer.

Congrats to Holmes for getting a nice win on the road.
homeless_camel Wrote:I'm so proud of the Mason County kids and the heart they showed after falling behind 21-6.

Cutting the lead down to 1 at 31-30 going into the 4th. Holmes just the better team and got the job done, but anyone who wants to hand the 10th to Clark might want to look at the heart and defense the Royals play with.

Mason County now has a chance to really pile up the wins as the playoffs get closer.

Congrats to Holmes for getting a nice win on the road.

With their schedule remaining they should, as you stated , pile up the wins. No Scott Co or Lexington Catholic this year.Weak schedule this year, compared to former years.

Mason Co has a way of never giving up and getting back into games when down, yes this takes heart and desire, which they have, just not the talent of years past.

Congrats to Holmes on a great road win.
Big win on the road for the dogs, I got a little nervous when I heard the lead was cut down to 1 point after such a huge lead to start off the game. They still need to find a way to play for 4 quarters. We have seen that for spurts in games they are as good as anyone, but they have yet to put it together for a full game. Not taking anything away from MC because they battled back and had to have played there hearts out to chop into that lead, but Holmes is lacking the "killer" instinct they had last year, where they could get up 15-20 and just lay on that lead. Now they are getting up 15 or 20 and letting teams come back or getting down 10 and having to come back themselves.
No Scott, no Catholic and no premiere Christmas tournament. BUT Christian County is still one of the better teams in the 2nd, Ashland is one of the better teams in the 16th, Greenwood is one of the better teams in the 4th. We know Holmes will be right there at the end of the year.

Highlands is a good team, Bryan Station and Madison Central may be down this year, but that's not Mason County's fault. Bishop Brossart has another solid team and Clark County will be a top 10 in state all year.

So this schedule doesn't come close to what they have had in the past, but it's a big enough test for this team.
I really felt that the Royals would make a game of this.
Stardust Wrote:I really felt that the Royals would make a game of this.

Looks like you were right
Congrats Holmes on the victory. Sounds like Mason stepped up to the challenge. I figured Holmes would have won by more with Mason being down a little this year and especially after hearing that Setty wasn't much of an offensive factor.
After watching this team in the King of the Bluegrass, their my fav to win the state.
The only stat that really matters in this game is the following:

Pittman: 21 points
Setty: 2 points

Pittman flat out dominated Setty and was too strong for him down low all night. Gold Charger was right...Setty doesn't like physical play and he was complaining to the refs all night long. On one possession Pittman forced him to give the ball up and after said "yeaaaa" and Setty plead his case to the ref but the ref simply looked at him with a "are you serious?" type look. Setty needs to hit the weight room too. HE kept trying to push Pittman around down low and Pittman was just smiling and laughing all night. His play was doing the talking for him.

As far as the game, when Holmes jumped out to a 21-6 lead let's just say you could tell we were playing in Mason Co. I'm not one to normally complain about officiating but there were 5 straight possessions where Holmes had either a violation or offensive foul called on them, all of which were questionable. Gilbert scored 6 straight during this time and made another 3 pointer to bring the halftime lead to 22-15.

In the third quarter Holmes built a 7 point lead but Mason Co came back to cut the lead to just one at 31-30 heading to the fourth quarter.

In the fourth quarter Holmes pushed their lead out to 36-30 just a minute in to the quarter and they'd cruise from here. Mason would never get closer than 6 until the final minute. Holmes led 49-38 with a little over a minute to go and then 50-40 with 45 seconds left but a dumb foul by Herndon on a 3 point attempt gave MC a 4 point play. On the next possession Rice broke the pressure but threw a bad alley oop pass to Pittman which gave the ball back to MC. Gilbert came down and made a 3 pointer to close the gap to 50-47 with 18 seconds left but Holmes hit 3 of 4 free throws down the stretch to seal the deal.

Holmes (10-3)
Pittman 21 pts 6 rebs, J. Johnson 11 pts 7 rebs, R. Johnson 9 pts 6 rebs, K. Rice 5, Hayes 3, Slusher 2, Herndon 2

Mason Co. (9-3)
Gilbert 17, J. Lang 11, Black 10, King 3, Blufort 2, Setty 2
great effort by the royals
mason played a good game and played till the final seconds, but the game should have not been this close. mason gave good effort but holmes had an obvious meltdown as they had three fouls with a ten point lead i believe between 1:30 and :30 left in the fourth. and that missed oop set henley on fire.
Congrats Holmes
homeless_camel Wrote:No Scott, no Catholic and no premiere Christmas tournament. BUT Christian County is still one of the better teams in the 2nd, Ashland is one of the better teams in the 16th, Greenwood is one of the better teams in the 4th. We know Holmes will be right there at the end of the year.

Highlands is a good team, Bryan Station and Madison Central may be down this year, but that's not Mason County's fault. Bishop Brossart has another solid team and Clark County will be a top 10 in state all year.

So this schedule doesn't come close to what they have had in the past, but it's a big enough test for this team.

No need to.....try to defend......the schedule.....to the #1 jealous Royal......basher.....
Gold Charger Wrote:With their schedule remaining they should, as you stated , pile up the wins. No Scott Co or Lexington Catholic this year.Weak schedule this year, compared to former years.

Mason Co has a way of never giving up and getting back into games when down, yes this takes heart and desire, which they have, just not the talent of years past.

Congrats to Holmes on a great road win.

Skinner Wrote:No need to.....try to defend......the schedule.....to the #1 jealous Royal......basher.....

How is this bashing Mason Co? Just stating the fact about their schedule. Guess you didn't read the part where I complimented Mason Co on having heart and desire.
Gold Charger Wrote:How is this bashing Mason Co? Just stating the fact about their schedule. Guess you didn't read the part where I complimented Mason Co on having heart and desire.

Go ahead and......finish it......something about not.......having talent.....
Skinner Wrote:Go ahead and......finish it......something about not.......having talent.....

They are down in talent this year compared to the Miller and Lofton years. You agree?
Gold Charger Wrote:They are down in talent this year compared to the Miller and Lofton years. You agree?

To a point.....the constant hounding.....of the schedule....rediculous...