Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Do films about KY degrade our people?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I had my way Steven Segal and patrick Swazie would be horse whipped and ran out on a rail.
Doc Holliday Wrote:If I had my way Steven Segal and patrick Swazie would be horse whipped and ran out on a rail.
Swazie would probably like that Doc.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:Swazie would probably like that Doc.

Smile
dumb redneck hillbillies.... hmmm sounds about right....
well its according on what films you watch
For example?
I am sure that in the annual of film there is one that portrays the people of our state in a good light.
i watched something about The Hatfields and McCoys on tv, and they talked about Hillbilly Days... They said, and i quote, "This Redneck Fest brings much needed tourist dollars into the bleak, depressed economy of Pikeville."
What about Peyton Place Doc?
Well I remember the episode of the show "48 hours" a few years back which as I remember as pretty degrading to our people.
I watched City Confidential on the A&E the other night and I was so pissed off that I sent them a nice email. It was about the murders of the Tennessee family at the rest area on I-85 that the kids committed. By watching the show I figured I grew up with all of those kids since they were from Pikeville or as A&E like to call it "Hell". I don't even think any of those kids were from Pike County or Pikeville but the A&E Network absolutely slammed the city on the show.
The City Confidential episode was a slap in the face, but have any of you seen the HBO documentary, "An American Family"? It has to be the most derogatory statement ever made about our area, it is focused on a family in Harlan and thier lifestyle, from the dad waiting on the porch for his pills to come in the mail to the 16 year old kid punching holes in his wall over his 13 year old girlfriend and running off to Cincinatti to get a "good" job, only to return a month later. It really shines a bright light on our state.
All of the shows that I have ever watched has portrayed us as wearing no shoes, no educations, no jobs, all of medication, shitty cars, rundown houses, no teeth, and just dumber than **** and it pisses me off because we all know that Eastern Kentucky does have that type of people but the other 98% of us aren't like that at all. I hate that about shows. I saw the A&E thing about how we refer to Pikeville as "Hell" and all of that other bullshit. It really pisses me off.
MR.INCREDIBLE Wrote:The City Confidential episode was a slap in the face, but have any of you seen the HBO documentary, "An American Family"? It has to be the most derogatory statement ever made about our area, it is focused on a family in Harlan and thier lifestyle, from the dad waiting on the porch for his pills to come in the mail to the 16 year old kid punching holes in his wall over his 13 year old girlfriend and running off to Cincinatti to get a "good" job, only to return a month later. It really shines a bright light on our state.

It's called American Hollow and was made by RFK daughter.
You are talking about the one where the boy friend cut his pants leg off.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181287/
here is that fine movie Mr I
Movies like all of the ones mentioned do little to help people from Kentucky (except the politicians that get greased up by the studios).
Doc Holliday Wrote:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181287/
here is that fine movie Mr I

Thanks Doc, been a really long time since I had seen it, sorry about getting the title wrong.
State Fair
American Hollow was absolutely rediculous and RFK needs to be slapped in the face....
bevinsville_bomber Wrote:American Hollow was absolutely rediculous and RFK needs to be slapped in the face....

Agreed.

Plus, a new series in coming out on KET about some more shoeless Eastern Kentucky boys..Can't wait for that one.. :boo: