Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Fleming County 63 Russell 61
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
final

Center Justin Davidson was out still with his back so fleming won the rebounds should be back tuesday according to kidwell
What has happened to Russell this year?
This was a good game by both teams. Not a lot of fouls were called and both teams played high pressure defense the whole time. #10 Preston Dugan is a very good player for Fleming County. He was extremely fast and ran out for a lot of layups throughout the course of the game. He also hit a few long 3's and carried Fleming in the early portion of the game. #3 Josh Gray hit several 3's in the second half to carry Fleming there.

Again, Russell played a pretty good game overall and hung with Fleming. Fleming would extend the lead out to about 8 points and then Russell would hit some shots to get back in the game. Still, though, Russell's offense is coming in spurts and they have the tendency to be shut down for extended periods of time. They do sorely miss Davidson under the basket, but I still like all of their players. They all seem to have the ability to handle the ball and shoot fairly well.

I thought Casey Stapleton played a good game tonight. It was good to see him get some scoring going. Alexander, Taylor, McKenzie, Bailey, and Whitaker all played well and delivered good plays here and there throughout the game. Kyle Skaggs continues to impress while unselfishly staying within the confines of the offense. Even though he clearly is a unique talent, he doesn't force his shots and that is good to see. He's going to be a special player.

Tonight's game could have gone either way at the end. I thought Russell should have played some aggressive defense at about the 2 minute mark to get Fleming into the bonus so they would have a chance to send them to the line at the end, but the game really came down to Fleming breaking down Russell's press 2 times in the last couple of minutes for easy layups.

It doesn't get any easier for Russell next week. They play East Carter and Ashland on the road. I sure hope they can get Davidson back to do battle with Barnhill and Gregg, but either way I expect them to compete. They just need to hang in there and keep doing what they are doing.
Stardust Wrote:What has happened to Russell this year?

I don't think anything bad has happened to Russell this year. They are competing well against all of the teams on their schedule. Their biggest margin of defeat this year was 14 to Louisville Waggener. They've played Fairview tough twice and Elliott County tough once. I don't think anyone expected this year's Russell team to be a dominant team in the 16th region, but I expected them to compete and make the games entertaining. They've accomplished that. They still have the lead for the top seed in the 63rd district and have won as many games as they won all year last year. If they keep doing what they are doing, then we will see them pull an upset or two and have a legitimate shot at doing well come tournament time.
Stardust Wrote:What has happened to Russell this year?
they have gotten better if you remember they only won 5 last year
Congrats to Fleming County!
congrats FC
Fleming is a solid team, and I consider them a sleeper in the region.

For Russell to play them to the wire speaks well of Russell, and the job that Kidwell is doing. I think Russell is putting the rest of the region on notice - when March rolls around, you better not take them lightly.

Russell is maturing faster than most of us thought they would.
Squid Wrote:Fleming is a solid team, and I consider them a sleeper in the region.

For Russell to play them to the wire speaks well of Russell, and the job that Kidwell is doing. I think Russell is putting the rest of the region on notice - when March rolls around, you better not take them lightly.

Russell is maturing faster than most of us thought they would.

Dugan and Gray are a couple of the most athletic players you'll find in the 16th region. Both of them shoot the 3's and can drive to the basket. I got the impression that Fleming is a good team. They just lack size underneath.