Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 66 - Thomasville (GA) 54
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final.
Congrats Valley!

Who started for the Wildcats?
Way to go...........Wildcats. So, does anyone know what happened with Cody???Why was he suspended and for how long???
Congrats SV
Congrats SV.

A win is a win, but I'm not too sure how good Thomasville is. According to both calpreps and maxpreps, they aren't even top 100 in the state of Georgia. Can anyone tell me about them?
kywldcat01 Wrote:Congrats SV.

A win is a win, but I'm not too sure how good Thomasville is. According to both calpreps and maxpreps, they aren't even top 100 in the state of Georgia. Can anyone tell me about them?

The Florida radio station said they were the #1 ranked 2A team in Georgia. Also, they said they have the #1 ranked sophomore in the state of Georgia (a 6'8" interior player I believe). They also said coaches from Alabama and Florida State had come to watch Thomasville play yesterday. It sounded like they may be a team comparable to the Miller Grove team SV defeated earlier this year.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Congrats SV.

They have 2 of the top players in the country. But they are sophomores. They won their championship last year. None of them were shorter than Ashley. They were up to at least 6"8, I believe what helped is some of their best players got into foul trouble. Their best player fouled out. The ones who started was Elisha, Ashley, Taylor, Tyler, and Zach. Ashley surpassed his best game yesterday with 19 pts and 16 rebounds. Cody and coach got into a disagreement, he quit. I guess that's why he is suspended indefinitely until some things change. I guess only Cody and Booher can tell you what went down.
I also heard that Thomasville wasn't even in the top 100 in the state of Georgia. But a win is a win. Congrats Valley!
Thomasville Georgia 4565 nation and 115 in the state of georgia
http://.maxpreps.com/high-schools/j52z9U...l/home.htm
The King Wrote:The Florida radio station said they were the #1 ranked 2A team in Georgia. Also, they said they have the #1 ranked sophomore in the state of Georgia (a 6'8" interior player I believe). They also said coaches from Alabama and Florida State had come to watch Thomasville play yesterday. It sounded like they may be a team comparable to the Miller Grove team SV defeated earlier this year.

mrsportsfan Wrote:They have 2 of the top players in the country. But they are sophomores. They won their championship last year. None of them were shorter than Ashley. They were up to at least 6"8, I believe what helped is some of their best players got into foul trouble. Their best player fouled out. The ones who started was Elisha, Ashley, Taylor, Tyler, and Zach. Ashley surpassed his best game yesterday with 19 pts and 16 rebounds. Cody and coach got into a disagreement, he quit. I guess that's why he is suspended indefinitely until some things change. I guess only Cody and Booher can tell you what went down.

Thanks for the info.

Why would the radio say they were ranked that high though if both Calpreps and Maxpreps have them as 112 and 115 in Georgia?

Do you know the names of the players you're referring to?
Congrats Valley
There were coaches from several different colleges and Billy Donovan was there to watch his son to play his game for St. Francis.
Calpreps and Maxpreps are way off sometimes but who knows. I think the tone of the announcers seemed they were surprised SV was winning.
When did the problem with Cody occur? I did not listen to yesterdays game did he play in it?
Quote:Calpreps and Maxpreps are way off sometimes but who knows. I think the tone of the announcers seemed they were surprised SV was winning.

Of course Calpreps and Maxpreps are way off because SV should have killed a team thats ranked 115 out of the state, correct? Valleys good but they can be beat and other teams can come close to beating them. Its ok no need to make excuses their not perfect. Lets be thankful that Valley went down and won the first game. Lets hope that they make the moutains proud. Congrats VALLEY!! Good LUCK!!!!
set09 Wrote:Of course Calpreps and Maxpreps are way off because SV should have killed a team thats ranked 115 out of the state, correct? Valleys good but they can be beat and other teams can come close to beating them. Its ok no need to make excuses their not perfect. Lets be thankful that Valley went down and won the first game. Lets hope that they make the moutains proud. Congrats VALLEY!! Good LUCK!!!!

Not sure what any of this means.
Congrats to SV! Way to make up for yesterday!
kywldcat01 Wrote:Thanks for the info.

Why would the radio say they were ranked that high though if both Calpreps and Maxpreps have them as 112 and 115 in Georgia?

Do you know the names of the players you're referring to?

I'm not sure why they said that either, but I heard it too. I was listening to the radio feed from the Florida announcers, and they did say Thomasville was the #1 team in 2A in Georgia. Who knows, maybe the tournament organizers were just trying to prop up the teams in their field.

Either way, good win for SV to bounce back from a tough loss.
Quote: Of course Calpreps and Maxpreps are way off because SV should have killed a team thats ranked 115 out of the state, correct? Valleys good but they can be beat and other teams can come close to beating them. Its ok no need to make excuses their not perfect. Lets be thankful that Valley went down and won the first game. Lets hope that they make the moutains proud. Congrats VALLEY!! Good LUCK!!!!

I’m pretty sure he’s still referring back to Valley can be beat because of the Betsy Layne game when BL came within 25. But congrats to Valley on the win and hopefully the Cody situation gets worked out soon he’s a good player, SV needs him.
set09 Wrote:Of course Calpreps and Maxpreps are way off because SV should have killed a team thats ranked 115 out of the state, correct? Valleys good but they can be beat and other teams can come close to beating them. Its ok no need to make excuses their not perfect. Lets be thankful that Valley went down and won the first game. Lets hope that they make the moutains proud. Congrats VALLEY!! Good LUCK!!!!

Give us all a break. Everyone knows where you are from. Try not to be so jealous!!!!!
I assume Cody is Cody Varney?

How big of a loss would that be if he indeed quit? SV already doesn't have depth as it is.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I assume Cody is Cody Varney?

How big of a loss would that be if he indeed quit? SV already doesn't have depth as it is.

Yes, Cody is indeed Cody Varney. Not sure what happened down in Florida, but according to the announcers at the game, he was placed on "indefinite suspension".

As for how big a loss, it's hard to say. If one was to rank SV's starters from 1-5, he would certainly be considered #5. And the insertion of Zach Ramey into his place in the starting lineup is not much of a drop-off. But even before this, SV was not playing much beyond the top six guys anyway. By taking the 6th man and being forced to start him, it only magnifies Valley's depth issues.

If Varney is permanently off the team, other players will have to step up and play more than they have. I know that I did hear Jacob Robinson score 5 points in the first quarter while I was listening. Hopefully someone involved with the team can give us some game stats.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I assume Cody is Cody Varney?

I wont downplay it.....it would be a huge loss. Anytime you lose a senior starter as athletic as Varney it is not good. He has not adjusted to his role on this team yet. He has always been the back up to Logan Bryant and he could come in run and fly around and play loose. Now Booher needs a much more consistent effort and needs him to stay out of foul trouble. At times he has struggled. His best game this year was against Miller Grove which was a fast paced up and down game in which the refs allowed both teams to play very physical. My guess is emotions got the best of him and he will miss some games and be back for the Mountain Classic. At least I hope so.
Congrats to the Wildcats on the win today!

As for the Cody Varney situation, it would be a pretty big loss for SV if he indeed did quit. This would mean inexperienced sophomore guard Zach Ramey would have to pick up the slack. Ramey is a fine player: he can shoot the ball, he handles the ball well, he makes good decisions, and has very high IQ of the game for the time he has had on the floor. What Varney has that Ramey doesn't is size, athleticism, and most importantly experience.

Ramey can play: that isn't the point. The point is that there will be even less depth (which is already lacking) for SV. Hopefully this situation is handled properly and SV can continue to play good basketball with or without Varney.
this does not surprise me at alll...Varney has always been a loose cannon...
A very very good win for SV.
There is good and bad in almost every situation. The team came back and won after a tough loss, I would hope everyone on the team could get around Varney and let him know they need him more than ever this year. Hatfield is getting more involved, rebounding, playing defense and scoring. The loss of height from last year will not hurt as much if he continues this play.
More Cowbell Wrote:As for how big a loss, it's hard to say. If one was to rank SV's starters from 1-5, he would certainly be considered #5.

This may be the case offensively, but you will often see Varney guarding the other team's best player when SV plays man. The loss of Varney would be a pretty major one to the Cats IMO.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:this does not surprise me at alll...Varney has always been a loose cannon...

Cody is one of the finest young men you will ever meet. My 12 year old son practically idolizes him and is devastated at the thought of Cody not being there when they play. Hopefully, they will get things straightened out and Cody will be right back out there, slamming it home like he can.
Grats Valley sounds like a great bounce back.
Pages: 1 2