Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset's Coach Cobb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is Coach Cobb planning on doing? Is he going to re-apply for the position at Somerset or look into other jobs? I have heard rumors, just trying to get some info from people "in the know"!!
I seriously doubt he will come back to Somerset as long as the current administration is still in place. They haven't even offered Robbie Lucas the job yet. As far as him going to coach somewhere else I would not blame him and whoever is lucky enough to land him will be getting a heck of a coach and mentor. I honestly would not be a bit surprised if Lucas went with Cobb to a bigger and better job somewhere next season. I haven't really heard anything since the season ended though, what were the rumors you heard?
ewingpirate Wrote:What is Coach Cobb planning on doing? Is he going to re-apply for the position at Somerset or look into other jobs? I have heard rumors, just trying to get some info from people "in the know"!!

If I were Coach Cobb, I would tell the adminstration at Somerset, "GOOD LUCK TO YA"! Just for the lack of support that he has received on a job well done. If they had any class whatsoever this would have be cut/dry hire. Last time I checked Somerset has not appeared in to many State Championship games. I say he should push the ol' eject button and relocate. I am sure that some of these places that are looking for a coach to lead them would like a coach that knows how to take over a program and lead them to the best record in school history! Not to mention under a tremednous amount of pressure he did this.
Are you talking about Cobb? Last I checked Robbie Lucas was the head coach this year and led them to the best record in school history, and the state championship game. The only game that Cobb allegedly coached this year the loss to Paducah Tilghman. Cobb resigned before the season. No doubt he is a good coach, but he resigned in 2008 to take the Henderson Co job only to change his mind and come back. And he resigned again this year too. With that kind of commitment it is easy to see why the are having a difficult time sorting this mess out at Somerset. Needless to say, whoever gets that job will be taking over a great team and good bunch of boys.
Trenches07 Wrote:If I were Coach Cobb, I would tell the adminstration at Somerset, "GOOD LUCK TO YA"! Just for the lack of support that he has received on a job well done. If they had any class whatsoever this would have be cut/dry hire. Last time I checked Somerset has not appeared in to many State Championship games. I say he should push the ol' eject button and relocate. I am sure that some of these places that are looking for a coach to lead them would like a coach that knows how to take over a program and lead them to the best record in school history! Not to mention under a tremednous amount of pressure he did this.
Are you guys talking about the "great" Jay Cobb who walked out on his players....Yeah, he may had a problem with the administration but you dont walk out on your kids two weeks before the season starts. What a man huh? Kinda of like a husband walking out on his family.. Is that what we want to teach young people just leave when things dont go your way? Jay Cobb is probably a good coach but it is not all about him. I would not him coaching my son after that.
STATE CHAMP Wrote:Are you guys talking about the "great" Jay Cobb who walked out on his players....Yeah, he may had a problem with the administration but you dont walk out on your kids two weeks before the season starts. What a man huh? Kinda of like a husband walking out on his family.. Is that what we want to teach young people just leave when things dont go your way? Jay Cobb is probably a good coach but it is not all about him. I would not him coaching my son after that.
The question I have is is this a pattern with the coach? He coached Knott Central and had a problem with the Admin. and walked away, then went to Somerset and did the same thing. I am sure there are reasons why he decides to do what he does asd far as walking away from programs, but problems with Admins. seem to be the common theme. He is a good coach and has proven that he can take average talent and compete.
Also have to question taking the Henderson Co. job and then coming back within a week.
That situation is FUBAR. So the AD was irritated the players wore "CC" helmet decals at WKU supporting coach Cobb without his approval? And the 3A coach of the year does not have a lock on being elevated from interim status?
Lucas should have been named head coach months ago, regardless of what happened in the state championship game. He took over a messy situation and held that team together. Which is a lot more than what will happen if someone else gets the job. That is a fragile situation. There have been some rumblings of players quitting or leaving if Lucas is not retained. Lucas more than deserves the head coaching job.
Forever Maroon Wrote:Lucas should have been named head coach months ago, regardless of what happened in the state championship game. He took over a messy situation and held that team together. Which is a lot more than what will happen if someone else gets the job. That is a fragile situation. There have been some rumblings of players quitting or leaving if Lucas is not retained. Lucas more than deserves the head coaching job.

Lucas, was canned at Lincoln County by the super who is now the super at Somerset. He seems pretty soft if you ask me. He had a chance to be the authority of the program for once and he blew it. How could you allow Cobb back in the box after you and the other coaches had brought the team to the state finals. Could not say no to Cobb that is why. He needs to apply somewhere else and if the kids get a good coach they will play. Heck he had been an asst for years there he must not be that great or he would have got a job when he left Lincoln.
No matter what the decision is going to be, I just hope Somerset does something soon. The current players deserve to know what is going to happen. Don't drag this on all winter. Make a decision and go with it. Some players may decide not to play, or even leave, but once a coach is in place things can get back to some since of normalcy.
STATE CHAMP Wrote:Lucas, was canned at Lincoln County by the super who is now the super at Somerset. He seems pretty soft if you ask me. He had a chance to be the authority of the program for once and he blew it. How could you allow Cobb back in the box after you and the other coaches had brought the team to the state finals. Could not say no to Cobb that is why. He needs to apply somewhere else and if the kids get a good coach they will play. Heck he had been an asst for years there he must not be that great or he would have got a job when he left Lincoln.

To say Robbie Lucas is soft just tells me you have never spent one second around the man. Robbie Lucas asked many former coaches with the program to be guest at the game and had passes for them. As far as what was Jay Cobb's involvement, I know he was up on the booth spotting for the team. Lucas felt that he needed to OC on the sideline to be able to communicate with the QB directly. Cobb was just in the booth spotting and telling the OC what he was seeing from above.

If Robbie Lucas has a fault it is that he is loyal to a fault. Every time Somerset won a game he would give the credit to the players, coaches and to Coah Cobb for getting the team ready before the season. If Somerset had been 2-8 this season Robbie Lucas would have taken all of the blame for that, but as long as they were wining he was happy to credit his friend and mentor Jay Cobb.

Robbie Lucas is the right man for this job. My son has one year left at SHS and wants to play for no one else but him. Coach Lucas speaks directly and truthfully to his players and parents. There is a new toughness to SHS Football that has been missing, (the new toughness was evident back in the spring while Cobb was still the coach as well).

Facebook page "Hire Robbie Lucas" has over 500 members including teachers, coaches, players, former players and parents. I hope a deciision is made to hire him soon and that Jay Cobb gets whatever job he is wanting and wish him all the success in the world.
Jumper Dad Wrote:To say Robbie Lucas is soft just tells me you have never spent one second around the man. Robbie Lucas asked many former coaches with the program to be guest at the game and had passes for them. As far as what was Jay Cobb's involvement, I know he was up on the booth spotting for the team. Lucas felt that he needed to OC on the sideline to be able to communicate with the QB directly. Cobb was just in the booth spotting and telling the OC what he was seeing from above.

If Robbie Lucas has a fault it is that he is loyal to a fault. Every time Somerset won a game he would give the credit to the players, coaches and to Coah Cobb for getting the team ready before the season. If Somerset had been 2-8 this season Robbie Lucas would have taken all of the blame for that, but as long as they were wining he was happy to credit his friend and mentor Jay Cobb.

Robbie Lucas is the right man for this job. My son has one year left at SHS and wants to play for no one else but him. Coach Lucas speaks directly and truthfully to his players and parents. There is a new toughness to SHS Football that has been missing, (the new toughness was evident back in the spring while Cobb was still the coach as well).

Facebook page "Hire Robbie Lucas" has over 500 members including teachers, coaches, players, former players and parents. I hope a deciision is made to hire him soon and that Jay Cobb gets whatever job he is wanting and wish him all the success in the world.

What I am understanding from your post is that Somerset fans WANT Lucas but respect and adore Cobb still...correct?
Yes, the Somerset Players, Students and Parents WANT LUCAS as the next head coach!!!!

Most respect the job Cobb did and understand why he did what he did. Don't know about "adore", but Jay Cobb is one heck of a ball coach and will do well where ever he ends up.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Yes, the Somerset Players, Students and Parents WANT LUCAS as the next head coach!!!!

Most respect the job Cobb did and understand why he did what he did. Don't know about "adore", but Jay Cobb is one heck of a ball coach and will do well where ever he ends up.

:Thumbs:
Cobb should go to Dunbar. He is the right Coach for that job.
Lucas did one heck of a job this year.
Coach Cobb is a heck of a coach and will be wherever he ends up. I'd like to see him come back toward eastern kentucky.
Coach Cobb must have trouble getting along with others. Good Coach and his players seem to love him. He seems to have problems with those above him. Why?
From what I am hearing, he will be coaching in Pike County next year.
That surprises me from Pikevilles stand point. They have had so many coaches in the last few years, Cobb is a risk for that again. Pikeville looks up and he leaves or quits over something and there they are again. If Cobb does get along with the admin. he will retire in a few years and Pikeville is looking again. I don't see this a fit for Pikeville at all, but I'm not hiring. Just IMO.
CoachB Wrote:From what I am hearing, he will be coaching in Pike County next year.

I would believe anything until you see him coaching there. He's too indecisive...do I stay or do I go......
Captain Backdoor Wrote:I would believe anything until you see him coaching there. He's too indecisive...do I stay or do I go......

That is why I think Pikeville would be making a big mistake. Good Coach , but I don't think he would be there long at all. I don't think he gets along with others above him well.
Pikeville would be very lucky if they could hire Coach Cobb.
Agree... they would and they would also be lucky if he stayed more than 3 years. So is that what Pikeville wants? I said he was a good coach. But not long to retirement.