Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Suspected Terrorist Attempts To Blowup NWA Flight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A Northwest Airlines passenger from Nigeria, who said he was acting on al-Qaida’s instructions, tried to blow up the plane today as it was landing in Detroit, law enforcement and national security officials said.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., ranking GOP member of the House Homeland Security Committee, identified the suspect as Abdul Mudallad, a Nigerian. King said the flight began in Nigeria and went through Amsterdam en route to Detroit. There were 278 passengers aboard the Airbus 330.

http://freep.com/article/20091225/NEWS05...to-Detroit
Thank god his plan failed.
Thankfully this failed
ROMULUS, Mich. (AP) — An attempted terrorist attack on a Christmas Day flight began with a pop and a puff of smoke — sending passengers scrambling to subdue a Nigerian man who claimed to be acting on orders from al-Qaeda to blow up the airliner, officials and travelers said.
The commotion began as Northwest Airlines Flight 253, carrying 278 passengers and 11 crewmembers from Amsterdam, prepared to land in Detroit just before noon Friday.

"It sounded like a firecracker in a pillowcase," said Peter Smith, a passenger from the Netherlands. "First there was a pop, and then (there) was smoke."

Smith said one passenger climbed over other people, went across the aisle and tried to restrain the man, who officials say was trying to ignite an explosive device. The heroic passenger appeared to have been burned.

Afterward, the suspect was taken to a front-row seat with his pants cut off and his legs burned. Multiple law enforcement officials also said the man appeared badly burned on his legs, indicating the explosive was strapped there. The components were apparently mixed in-flight and included a powdery substance, multiple law enforcement and counterterrorism officials said.

The White House said it believed it was an attempted act of terrorism and stricter security measures were quickly imposed on airline travel. The incident was reminiscent of Richard Reid, who tried to destroy a trans-Atlantic flight in 2001 with explosives hidden in his shoes, but was subdued by other passengers.

Multiple law enforcement officials identified the suspect in Friday's attempted attack as Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab. He was described as Nigerian.

One law enforcement official said the man claimed to have been instructed by al-Qaeda to detonate the plane over U.S. soil, but other law enforcement officials cautioned that such claims could not be verified immediately, and said the man may have been acting independently — inspired but not specifically trained or ordered by terror groups.

All the officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was continuing.

The man was being questioned Friday evening. An intelligence official said he was being held and treated in an Ann Arbor, Mich., hospital. The hospital said one passenger from the flight was taken to the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor, but referred all inquiries to the FBI.

Melinda Dennis, who was seated in the front row of the plane, said the man involved was brought to the front row and seated near her. She said his legs appeared to be badly burned and his pants were cut off. She said he was taken off the plane handcuffed to a stretcher.

One law enforcement official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said Mutallab's name had surfaced earlier on at least one U.S. intelligence database, but he was not on a watch list or a no-fly list.

The suspect boarded in Nigeria and went through Amsterdam en route to Detroit, Peter King, the ranking Republican member of the House Homeland Security Committee, told CNN. A spokeswoman for police at the Schiphol airport in Amsterdam declined comment about the case or about security procedures at the airport for Flight 253.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2...roit_N.htm
Hope those passengers got a couple of shots in while subduing the guy.
Duplicate thread. :biggrin:
Seen this on the news. Crazy, thankfully it failed.
Another day, another Muslin terror plot. Did Abdul not get the memo that Muslim-friendly Barrack Hussein Obama is now ruling the United States of America? I though Obama was going to dialog with radical Muslims and convince them that we are not their enemy.

I guess giving comrades who have confessed to plotting the slaughter of thousands of American citizens all of the rights that those dead Americans enjoyed is not enough to appease Abdul.

Maybe Abdul and his friends will leave us alone if Obama just apologizes for our poor behavior one more time and bows to one more Muslim ruler.
We have another thread for this
The would-be bomber's father warned both the Nigerian intelligence service and the US embassy that his son had been radicalized and posed a threat. The Obama administration's abandonment of the war on terror and its decision to treat terrorism as a criminal matter is one of Obama's biggest first year blunders.

The passengers were very lucky in this case because Obama is doing nothing to improve defenses against Islamic terrorists. This nation is presenting a stationary target to terrorists whose tactics are constantly being refined. Obama's weakness against terrorists will cost Democrats many elections in 2010 and 2012. They cannot run against Bush forever.
These are typical comments from the Obama administration. Homeland Security Secretary Napolitano said today that the thwarting of the attempted bombing of an NWA airline flight Christmas Day demonstrated that "the system worked." How can anyone say with sincerity that the system worked, when first the detonator failed giving the passengers time to restrain the bomber. If the detonator had worked properly everyone onboard would have been killed. Napolitano was then asked how the explosives were smuggled onto the plane, Napolitano responded "Were looking into that". Remember she said the system worked.

I don't know how many attacks have been foiled since Obama took office, but this the second one that has made it to the USA.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politicoli...ml?showall

Flight 253 -- the same flight from Amsterdam that was attacked Christmas Day -- had to deal with another disruptive passenger today as it landed in Detroit.

The man, who is Nigerian, locked himself in the plane's bathroom for an hour and was verbally combative, AP is reporting, citing an unnamed source.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-r...flight-253
Old School Wrote:These are typical comments from the Obama administration. Homeland Security Secretary Napolitano said today that the thwarting of the attempted bombing of an NWA airline flight Christmas Day demonstrated that "the system worked." How can anyone say with sincerity that the system worked, when first the detonator failed giving the passengers time to restrain the bomber. If the detonator had worked properly everyone onboard would have been killed. Napolitano was then asked how the explosives were smuggled onto the plane, Napolitano responded "Were looking into that". Remember she said the system worked.

I don't know how many attacks have been foiled since Obama took office, but this the second one that has made it to the USA.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politicoli...ml?showall

Flight 253 -- the same flight from Amsterdam that was attacked Christmas Day -- had to deal with another disruptive passenger today as it landed in Detroit.

The man, who is Nigerian, locked himself in the plane's bathroom for an hour and was verbally combative, AP is reporting, citing an unnamed source.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-r...flight-253

Absolutely unbelieveable. Yet you have the cavemasters of the world that support this jester and his court of fools.
Same flight with another Nigerian arrested today in Detroit while he had locked himself in the restroom.
It is going to be interesting to see if Obama refers to this incident as an act of attempted terrorism or if he sticks to Newspeak and calls it an unsuccessful attempted man-made disaster.

This administration needs to get serious about terrorism. The system did not work like clockwork, as Janet Napolitano claimed. The system failed and the passengers of Flight 253 got very lucky.

This country is at war with radical Islamists whether Obama wants to be at war with them or not.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It is going to be interesting to see if Obama refers to this incident as an act of attempted terrorism or if he sticks to Newspeak and calls it an unsuccessful attempted man-made disaster.

This administration needs to get serious about terrorism. The system did not work like clockwork, as Janet Napolitano claimed. The system failed and the passengers of Flight 253 got very lucky.

This country is at war with radical Islamists whether Obama wants to be at war with them or not.

Obama sympathizes with the radical Islamists, of course he isnt going to put his support behind trying to bring them all down. These are not people you can talk to or reason with, they have one goal on their mind and that is the destruction of Western Civilization and a world wide Islamic rule.

Obama either fails to see this fact, or as I stated and believe he sympathizes with them. I mean the man bows to other heads of state, even poor little ol me would not bow to anyone, but Obama does? Absolute joke a President and shows truly how far our country has fallen in the last 50 years. Anytime I see a guy and wish I had Bush back, you know it must be bad cause I think Bush is a complete moron, who got by on the fact he had good people around him. Bush also let Cheney call way too many shots, I think Cheney deserves nothing less than life imprisonment for the crimes he has committed. Of course most of our politicians do.
Beetle01 Wrote:Obama sympathizes with the radical Islamists, of course he isnt going to put his support behind trying to bring them all down. These are not people you can talk to or reason with, they have one goal on their mind and that is the destruction of Western Civilization and a world wide Islamic rule.

Obama either fails to see this fact, or as I stated and believe he sympathizes with them. I mean the man bows to other heads of state, even poor little ol me would not bow to anyone, but Obama does? Absolute joke a President and shows truly how far our country has fallen in the last 50 years. Anytime I see a guy and wish I had Bush back, you know it must be bad cause I think Bush is a complete moron, who got by on the fact he had good people around him. Bush also let Cheney call way too many shots, I think Cheney deserves nothing less than life imprisonment for the crimes he has committed. Of course most of our politicians do.

It's not a bow of subservience. It's a culturally sensitive recognition of another man's honor.
thecavemaster Wrote:It's not a bow of subservience. It's a culturally sensitive recognition of another man's honor.
Obama bows out of ignorance. He needs to start learning the customs of his hosts before making a fool of himself again. A deep bow to the Japanese emperor by an American president was not appropriate, regardless of Obama's intent.

[Image: obama-bows-before-burger-king.jpg]
I don't know why people keep saying failed attempt. It was a pretty darn SUCCESSFUL attempt with a defective bomb.
No man who bows to another country's leader deserves to be President.

Hopefully this moron gets voted out along with all the other leaders of the Dem. party.

To think that I have fellow Americans who support the likes of Pelosi and Reid makes me sick to my stomach. I cant see this country lasting much longer if these buffoons are able to keep power much longer.
Beetle01 Wrote:No man who bows to another country's leader deserves to be President.

Hopefully this moron gets voted out along with all the other leaders of the Dem. party.

To think that I have fellow Americans who support the likes of Pelosi and Reid makes me sick to my stomach. I cant see this country lasting much longer if these buffoons are able to keep power much longer.

Once again, a bow is a recognition of another man's honor, not a gesture of subservience. Thus, the bow is not saying, "I represent America and I bow to you, O Master" or anything of the sort.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Obama bows out of ignorance. He needs to start learning the customs of his hosts before making a fool of himself again. A deep bow to the Japanese emperor by an American president was not appropriate, regardless of Obama's intent.

[Image: obama-bows-before-burger-king.jpg]

Why is it Obama's bow made no news really in Japan? Why is it that credible experts in Japanese etiquette saw the bow as appropriate? To bow at that angle created eye contact and was customary in the presence of a Japanese high leader. This whole idea stream is hogwash.
thecavemaster Wrote:Why is it Obama's bow made no news really in Japan? [COLOR="Red"]Why is it that credible experts in Japanese etiquette[/COLOR] saw the bow as appropriate? To bow at that angle created eye contact and was customary in the presence of a Japanese high leader. This whole idea stream is hogwash.
I suppose you subscribe to the Tokyo Herald-Leader, or watch JNN?

Name one of those experts along with their credentials.
thecavemaster Wrote:Why is it Obama's bow made no news really in Japan? Why is it that credible experts in Japanese etiquette saw the bow as appropriate? To bow at that angle created eye contact and was customary in the presence of a Japanese high leader. This whole idea stream is hogwash.

Mr.Kimball Wrote:I suppose you subscribe to the Tokyo Herald-Leader, or watch JNN?

Gentlemen, get this back on target of the thread and keep your personal conversation/jabs on PM!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I suppose you subscribe to the Tokyo Herald-Leader, or watch JNN?

Reiko Kasai, Chief Instructor at the JAL Academy, an intercultural training school... that's one of many.
Stardust Wrote:Gentlemen, get this back on target of the thread and keep your personal conversation/jabs on PM!
:Thumbs:
That's fine Dusty. I understand what your getting at. I do think that we are still on topic as of right now, unless Cavemaster wants to start with the nasty stuff again.
thecavemaster Wrote:Reiko Kasai, Chief Instructor at the JAL Academy, an intercultural training school... that's one of many.

Is she Japan's answer to an American Martha Stewart? Or perhaps a Rachael Ray?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Is she Japan's answer to an American Martha Stewart? Or perhaps a Rachael Ray?

I would think her a direct answer to your objection.
Mr.Kimball Wrote::Thumbs:
That's fine Dusty. I understand what your getting at. I do think that we are still on topic as of right now, unless Cavemaster wants to start with the nasty stuff again.

Funny stuff.
thecavemaster Wrote:I would think her a direct answer to your objection.

My objection? What objection would that be? I didn't state an objection to anything about it.

I just asked if you could give an example of an expert and what their qualifications were. That's about it, right?

So bottom line your saying since I am not an expert on the subject(self admitted),now all of a sudden she isn't either? Your getting me confused here.:confused:

If you would, please try to be consistent. Thank You.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:My objection? What objection would that be? I didn't state an objection to anything about it.

I just asked if you could give an example of an expert and what their qualifications were. That's about it, right?

So bottom line your saying since I am not an expert on the subject(self admitted),now all of a sudden she isn't either? Your getting me confused here.:confused:

If you would, please try to be consistent. Thank You.

You asked; I provided. Ms. Kasai isn't about cooking and home furnishings and manners. She's an expert in the field of intercultural studies. She, along with many of her colleagues, when queried, suggested that Obama's bow was culturally appropriate and did not make for news in Japanese culture.
Pages: 1 2