Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: If Global Warming is REAL convince me.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For those who believe in the science of Global Warming convince me you're right.
How about the glacier in Bolivia that will be gone very soon?

I just read about it last night.
Amun-Ra Wrote:How about the glacier in Bolivia that will be gone very soon?

Haven't glaciers been melting for the last 10,000 years? Since the last Ice Age? Some are growing Here's one in Alaska
http://www.iceagenow.com/Hubbard_Glacier...e_away.htm
[Image: glacier-melting.jpg]

I believe in global warming just not for sure what the cause could be. Human or Nature. Most scientists agree that the earth has warmed, but only by .0023 degrees, although many disagree about the cause. A skeptic of human involvement, Timothy F. Ball, former Professor of Geography, University of Winnipeg said, 'There's been warming, no question. I've never debated that; never disputed that. The dispute is, what is the cause?'
Amun-Ra Wrote:How about the glacier in Bolivia that will be gone very soon?

The glaciers that carved the Great Lakes are gone too and they were already gone when the first man set foot on this continent.
Those who have listed the area's that have shown Ice Melt are dead on, those area's have indeed proven to show melting -BUT!!!!!

How about the thickening of the Ice on the Eastern Seaboard in Antartica. Everyone throws out where Ice has melted but COMPLETELY ignore the fact that on both the South Pole the Siberian Ice Caps have all thickened over the last 100 years.

It's great how so many only want to read, research or believe word of mouth with little to no facts of other occurences that show the complete opposite of their "blinders on" view of things.
I know glaciers melt, thats what they do over time, but my point was that glaciers ar melting now at a faster rate than what they were doing 25 - 20 years ago. So what's the cause?
Amun-Ra Wrote:I know glaciers melt, thats what they do over time, but my point was that glaciers ar melting now at a faster rate than what they were doing 25 - 20 years ago. So what's the cause?

But at a similar rate, tempratures have shown that they have decreased in areas as fast and in some instances faster, than where areas have increased. The eastern border of Antartica has increased the overall size of the continents ice make make-up, meaning it has exceeded the thickening more than the area's that have decreased. Why is that? I don't think you and I can answer, but for every instance that leads one to belive Global Warming is happening, other's are showing Global Stabilization or Cooling. Let's be real, this is gotten credibility due to Al Gore's marketing of this. In no statement have I ever heard Gore address the challenges of the cooling or Ice thickening other than to state that those facts are new in research and over time those facts will be dispelled???? How can a statement like that be given, can't that very same statement be made for Global Warming????
I am not saying it is or it isn't/ I am just making an argument.

I mean think. Our winters have become increasingly mild. We have less snow each year. What could be the cause?
Amun-Ra Wrote:I am not saying it is or it isn't/ I am just making an argument.

I mean think. Our winters have become increasingly mild. We have less snow each year. What could be the cause?

Very fair, but that follows history and the axis of the earth. We grow closer to the equator every year. There is a range that the earth moves on it's axis. Now, we are talking about 100's of years to move any significance, but that is the reason why the seasons are different over era's.

Are you just comparing our area? Though our area has has milder winters, we are also having milder summers. We had fewer 95+ degree days this year than we did last year. Last year we have fewer than we have have had in the past 100 years. Why?

Our earth has undertaken more changes than what Scientists can ever record. It's just like finding sea fossils in our backyard, how did that happen?
Average temperatures in the Arctic region are rising twice as fast as they are elsewhere in the world. Arctic ice is getting thinner, melting and rupturing. For example, the largest single block of ice in the Arctic, the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf, had been around for 3,000 years before it started cracking in 2000. Within two years it had split all the way through and is now breaking into pieces.
The polar ice cap as a whole is shrinking. Images from NASA satellites show that the area of permanent ice cover is contracting at a rate of 9 percent each decade. If this trend continues, summers in the Arctic could become ice-free by the end of the century.

http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/qthinice.asp
Arctic sea ice has now surpassed all previous records for the lowest absolute minimum summer extent. The "stunning record low" of 4.13 million square kilometers was recorded by satellite images on September 16, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. The previous record, 5.32 million square kilometers, was measured on September 20-21, 2005.
The minimum for 2007 is smaller by 1.19 million square kilometers (460,000 square miles) than the previous low, roughly the size of Texas and California combined, or nearly five United Kingdoms. This year also saw the extended opening of the Northwest Passage through islands north of Canada for the first time.

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/...rctic.html
DevilsWin Wrote:Average temperatures in the Arctic region are rising twice as fast as they are elsewhere in the world. Arctic ice is getting thinner, melting and rupturing. For example, the largest single block of ice in the Arctic, the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf, had been around for 3,000 years before it started cracking in 2000. Within two years it had split all the way through and is now breaking into pieces.
The polar ice cap as a whole is shrinking. Images from NASA satellites show that the area of permanent ice cover is contracting at a rate of 9 percent each decade. If this trend continues, summers in the Arctic could become ice-free by the end of the century.

http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/qthinice.asp
If it's only been around for 3,000 years, then what was there before that? Just plain water? That must mean that it was once warmer in that region and then turned colder.

What ever happened to the great glaciers that covered great portions of the globe and melted millions of years ago, way before man ever had any "alleged " influence that could have created any "alleged" damage to the atmosphere? How come, how come,how come????

Could it be, just as Dusty is trying to emphasize, that it's all just part of the natural cyclical occurance of each phenomenon?
DevilsWin Wrote:Arctic sea ice has now surpassed all previous records for the lowest absolute minimum summer extent. The "stunning record low" of 4.13 million square kilometers was recorded by satellite images on September 16, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. The previous record, 5.32 million square kilometers, was measured on September 20-21, 2005.
The minimum for 2007 is smaller by 1.19 million square kilometers (460,000 square miles) than the previous low, roughly the size of Texas and California combined, or nearly five United Kingdoms. This year also saw the extended opening of the Northwest Passage through islands north of Canada for the first time.

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/...rctic.html
Is this the before or after scientist manipulated data your posting a link to?:biggrin:

How come you are not including the data where Stardust tells of areas where the ice is actually thickening?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Is this the before or after scientist manipulated data your posting a link to?:biggrin:

How come you are not including the data where Stardust tells of areas where the ice is actually thickening?

Could u give me a reference or link to the info concerning the manipulated scientist? Id like to read it. Ive only found something about a server being hacked or broken into and then them publishing some emails that could have been genuine or fake.
Pay not attention to Mr. Kimball. He just tries to muddy the waters.
Wasn't the artic warmer less than 800 years ago? Didn't the Vikings farm including wine production on Greenland? That would mean it was much warmer to support this type of farming.
FWIW, if anyone's interested, there's a show on Tru TV right now called "Conspiracy Theory." This episode deals with a "Global Warming Conspiracy." Check it out if you can, it's on for the next 40 minutes or so.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Could u give me a reference or link to the info concerning the manipulated scientist? Id like to read it. Ive only found something about a server being hacked or broken into and then them publishing some emails that could have been genuine or fake.
To my knowledge, none of the email authors has claimed that any of the messages were fake. They have claimed that some of the messages have been taken out of context. However, if you read them yourself it is pretty clear that the emails are damaging to the AGW theory no matter how you read them.

The scientist in charge of the UEA's climate research center was suspended pending an investigation and the UEA has acknowledged that the raw data, much of which served as the basis of Al Gore's hockey stick graph has been destroyed. Only the "value added" data remains. In other words, in the face of FOIA requests, the data was destroyed so the validity of the "value added data" cannot be checked by the peers of the UEA scientists.
nky Wrote:Wasn't the artic warmer less than 800 years ago? Didn't the Vikings farm including wine production on Greenland? That would mean it was much warmer to support this type of farming.

Actually I watched a show on Greenland and Iceland just this morning on HDTheater. It was not about the Global Warming controversy but just a documentary showing various wildlife that inhabit both islands and the geographic contour of the two countries.

**** To my amazement the narrator of the show CLEARY stated that both countries were once warmer in the time of the Vikings than it is now.****

I am sure that there will be a repeat of the show at some other time. I invite those you may question my post to check for future rebroadcasts of this episode to view for themselves.
DevilsWin Wrote:Pay not attention to Mr. Kimball. He just tries to muddy the waters.

How am I trying to muddy anything up here, DW?

The questions I asked should be very simple to answer to those that are thoughly convinced that there is indeed man made global warming. Why do you choose to bash me when all I asked was very reasonable questions. Are these questions that you cant answer, but yet still conform to the theory?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:To my knowledge, none of the email authors has claimed that any of the messages were fake. They have claimed that some of the messages have been taken out of context. However, if you read them yourself it is pretty clear that the emails are damaging to the AGW theory no matter how you read them.

The scientist in charge of the UEA's climate research center was suspended pending an investigation and the UEA has acknowledged that the raw data, much of which served as the basis of Al Gore's hockey stick graph has been destroyed. Only the "value added" data remains. In other words, in the face of FOIA requests, the data was destroyed so the validity of the "value added data" cannot be checked by the peers of the UEA scientists.

See i read something about fox news being the only news station to even touch on this matter and they said they couldnt confirm the emails to be genuine.

On a side note.

[Image: proof-of-global-warming.jpg]
Spokesman Dave Britton said the two organisations had to turn down numerous Freedom of Information requests because they did not hold the copyright to the data.
‘There is a feeling we are hiding something,’ he said. ‘But we are not, we just can’t
release the data.’
He said that is was unclear whether some of the documents had been tampered
with, adding: ‘We are not concerned about the robustness of the science we are pushing but we are worried about it being interpreted out of context.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z0aagbnRW2
I dont think anyone argues that there may be climate change occurring. It has happened and will continue as long as the Earth is still here.

Ive yet to ever see proof that humans have had an effect on the climate.
Beetle01 Wrote:I dont think anyone argues that there may be climate change occurring. It has happened and will continue as long as the Earth is still here.

Ive yet to ever see proof that humans have had an effect on the climate.

Amen to that. Great point
Wildcatk23 Wrote:[Image: glacier-melting.jpg]

I believe in global warming just not for sure what the cause could be. Human or Nature. Most scientists agree that the earth has warmed, but only by .0023 degrees, although many disagree about the cause. A skeptic of human involvement, Timothy F. Ball, former Professor of Geography, University of Winnipeg said, 'There's been warming, no question. I've never debated that; never disputed that. The dispute is, what is the cause?'

it looks better without snow
crazytaxidriver Wrote:it looks better without snow

Agreed
wildcatk23 Wrote:[Image: glacier-melting.jpg]

i believe in global warming just not for sure what the cause could be. Human or nature. Most scientists agree that the earth has warmed, but only by .0023 degrees, although many disagree about the cause. A skeptic of human involvement, timothy f. Ball, former professor of geography, university of winnipeg said, 'there's been warming, no question. I've never debated that; never disputed that. The dispute is, what is the cause?'

Smile
Carbon dioxide is not the major greenhouse gas (water vapor is).
Carbon dioxide accounts for less than ten percent of the greenhouse effect. Only about 0.03 percent of the Earth's atmosphere consists of carbon dioxide (nitrogen, oxygen, and argon constitute about 78 percent, 20 percent, and 0.93 percent of the atmosphere, respectively).

The sun, not a gas, is primarily to "blame" for global warming -- and plays a very key role in global temperature variations as well.

Global temperatures increased by about 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.6 degrees Celsius) during the 20th century

So is the world really going to waste billions if not trillions of dollars trying to cut CO2 emissions that really will have no affect on global warming
nky Wrote:Carbon dioxide is not the major greenhouse gas (water vapor is).
Carbon dioxide accounts for less than ten percent of the greenhouse effect. Only about 0.03 percent of the Earth's atmosphere consists of carbon dioxide (nitrogen, oxygen, and argon constitute about 78 percent, 20 percent, and 0.93 percent of the atmosphere, respectively).

The sun, not a gas, is primarily to "blame" for global warming -- and plays a very key role in global temperature variations as well.

Global temperatures increased by about 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.6 degrees Celsius) during the 20th century

So is the world really going to waste billions if not trillions of dollars trying to cut CO2 emissions that really will have no affect on global warming

It has to be, cause Al Gore says so.....
Pages: 1 2