Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who Should Be the Next Pikeville Head Coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thoughts?

I think they should offer it to one of the Belfry assistants.
I think its going to be hard for them to find a coach since they only let them stay for a year or so. Hard to get kids use to different coaches every year.
if they dont give it to mac the program will be in danger
bac2369 Wrote:I think its going to be hard for them to find a coach since they only let them stay for a year or so. Hard to get kids use to different coaches every year.
I really hope you don't think Ben was let go because of his coaching record.
finepoint Wrote:I really hope you don't think Ben was let go because of his coaching record.
Oh, he does. It's funny on how people will comment on things, such as this, and have no clue what they are talking about.
bac2369 Wrote:I think its going to be hard for them to find a coach since they only let them stay for a year or so. Hard to get kids use to different coaches every year.

I agree kids aren't going to want to come back after a 6 and 6 season Pikeville messed up when they gave Copley a year to coach. He could have led them to bigger and better things than a 6 and 6 season.
Well, I am not sure. I would like to trust the administration since the community, myself included, have gotten the guy they want the last two times. I liked Jackson and felt he was a very good coach who honestly cared about the program, but he is better suited at a big school.

Now who should be?
Coach Mac (My Top Choice) is a choice that sticks out. A great person, he was in charge of defense, and I believe the associate Head Coach. He could keep the staff the same essentially. However, the pressure- fair or not, was not for him last time.
John Chapman would be a name that comes to mind. But I would not find this a very feasible theory. He is building at Pike Central. He was let go previously by Pikeville. But no doubt a great coach and defense mind.
Jason Howell has Pikeville history. Would demand respect, something I doubt would go over well with the kids at Pikeville (Sad, I know). But I don't know if he wants to leave Lexington, and I believe said he was not interested in returning in a previous search (which is perfectly understandable, and I wish him luck in his next job).

These seem like the most likely options with Pikeville ties. Other options could possibly be a seasoned assistant from a high profile school such as Belfry. Whoever is selected needs to have ONE mission. STAY FOR A LONG TIME. The program is in dire need of some consistency. If anyone has some other options feel free to share.
McNamee. It's too easy of a hire. He's been there before, was on the previous coaching staff, and is still in the area. This is the obvious choice IMO. However, the administration needs to back off. Whether or not McNamee wants to deal with the BS that comes with the job, is what I think will be the determining factor.

Howell would be a good hire, but I don't think he wants to return to the Pikeville Politics.

I don't see Chapman coming back.
For everyone who wants to speculate or propose theories...... Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
allseasonfan Wrote:For everyone who wants to speculate or propose theories...... Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

Huh? What you said makes zero sense! We are talking about the possibilities of a new coach a Pikeville. What does sins and throwing stones got to do with hiring a coach? I think I must have missed something.
ComfortEagle Wrote:McNamee. It's too easy of a hire. He's been there before, was on the previous coaching staff, and is still in the area. This is the obvious choice IMO. However, the administration needs to back off. Whether or not McNamee wants to deal with the BS that comes with the job, is what I think will be the determining factor.

Howell would be a good hire, but I don't think he wants to return to the Pikeville Politics.

I totally agreee with your run down. I hope Pikeville calls Howell and shows interest. You never know, maybe he would listen to what they have to say. My pick is still Mac at Head Coach and Howell as one of the assistants.
finepoint Wrote:I really hope you don't think Ben was let go because of his coaching record.

What else can it be? Seriously what? It can't be because he didnt fit the style of the team or any other mumbo jumbo. I know nothing about pikeville except it has tradition and the talent was there for coach Ben Howard in the next several years and they didnt give him time to show it.
bac2369 Wrote:What else can it be? Seriously what? It can't be because he didnt fit the style of the team or any other mumbo jumbo. I know nothing about pikeville except it has tradition and the talent was there for coach Ben Howard in the next several years and they didnt give him time to show it.
You have no idea about what it is, yet you are condemning the administration for it. Trust me, it has nothing to do with on the field results. And the admin. had no choice. So, either find out about the situation and make educated posts or stop posting about it.
Let's get some things straight.

Coach Howard resigned on his own for personal reasons. It is what it is. He was not fired for the Panthers performance on the field.

At this time, it is not our business to know what those reasons may be. Let's put ourselves in his shoes. When/if you quit your job or get fired, would you want an entire message board community speculating why you left?

Also, let me make this clear. This thread is about who the next coach at Pikeville should be. This thread is not meant to speculate on why the coach resigned.

Further off-topic posts will be deleted and members making such posts any further in this thread will be issued infractions, as you have been given more than fair warning.
Panther Thunder Wrote:You have no idea about what it is, yet you are condemning the administration for it. Trust me, it has nothing to do with on the field results. And the admin. had no choice. So, either find out about the situation and make educated posts or stop posting about it.

bump
Hiring four coaches in four years will scare a lot of interested coaches off.

JMO
It needs to be Coach Mac. IMO hes the only logical choice. The guy is as much a part of our tradition as anyone. He knows the kids after having coached them for a year. Hes someone that can be trusted with our kids and our program. Hes also the last coach to win a region title here. To me its a no brainer.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:It needs to be Coach Mac. IMO hes the only logical choice. The guy is as much a part of our tradition as anyone. He knows the kids after having coached them for a year. Hes someone that can be trusted with our kids and our program. Hes also the last coach to win a region title here. To me its a no brainer.

I think i can agree with this H.P., with the possibility of Jason Howell on the sidelines if he could (will) leave Lexington.I.M.O. this would be a good combination.
Mac getting forced out at Pikeville in '05 was the beginning of what has transpired in the nearly 5 years years since for the Pikeville Football Program. He was forced out by an AD who Ghandi would want to punch in the face. As well as a booster who cared more about his sons playing time and hiring his wifes buddy to coach than what was good for the program. This chain of events triggered the downward spiral of the once proud Panther Program. Its time to bring Mac back and instill some pride, integrity, and much needed continuity to this program to bring it back full circle.
ComfortEagle Wrote:McNamee. It's too easy of a hire. He's been there before, was on the previous coaching staff, and is still in the area. This is the obvious choice IMO. However, the administration needs to back off. Whether or not McNamee wants to deal with the BS that comes with the job, is what I think will be the determining factor.

You hit the nail on the head there, which is why I said in the previous thread to those who want that I do not see him taking the job even if its offered. He has stated in many convos with me and with others he didnt know if he could ever be a head coach there again. Loves the school and loves the people but lets look at this he was forced out there was at Pike Central as well (for the most part) I wonder if his heart is still in being a head coach. He loves the game but I think he is set on spending time with his kids and just being around with out the stress of the head coaching position. To be honest I cant blame him. Good luck on the hire Panthers I hope you all get a good coach.
Do they really want a coach? Is there a better coach in the Mtn. than Dudley Hilton. They tell me that he is retiring and would like to continue coaching. You would go to the top right away. If something happened here, our Superintendent would go after him. Phillip Haywood and Dudley Hilton in the same county.
redstorm Wrote:Do they really want a coach? Is there a better coach in the Mtn. than Dudley Hilton. They tell me that he is retiring and would like to continue coaching. You would go to the top right away. If something happened here, our Superintendent would go after him. Phillip Haywood and Dudley Hilton in the same county.

As usuall Redstorm when it comes to Bell Co. you are mis-informed. Coach Hilton has been retired for 2 years now from the classroom. But you are right he is the King of the mountains.

I think whoever is the next Coach should probally just live out of a RV b/c it seems none of them stick around long. They better go after a Coach who plans on sticking it out for a while. Until then they will continue to struggle.
Coach David Jones coached at Jenkins 08
Panther Thunder Wrote:You have no idea about what it is, yet you are condemning the administration for it. Trust me, it has nothing to do with on the field results. And the admin. had no choice. So, either find out about the situation and make educated posts or stop posting about it.

I don't know alot about pikeville. How many kids will play at a school that ever year or two they will have a new coach. That is way Pike Central got more player the last few season.
If i would got a coaching job at a school that have that many coaches in 5 years. The first year i would play teams like Lex Cath and them teams. The first year i would let the kids get use to play book, but still keep the Pike Central and Belfry games. Then year play teams like Lex Cath, Boyle, and Bell. That give the underclassman a year to know the play book.
William Muney Wrote:As usuall Redstorm when it comes to Bell Co. you are mis-informed. Coach Hilton has been retired for 2 years now from the classroom. But you are right he is the King of the mountains.

I think whoever is the next Coach should probally just live out of a RV b/c it seems none of them stick around long. They better go after a Coach who plans on sticking it out for a while. Until then they will continue to struggle.

There is nothing in KHSAA rules, that said a coach have to be a teacher. The rule is that the coach just have to have 60 colleges hours.
WOW this is a bit of surprise. This will make two coaches in the district in two days.
Whats happening in that district?
I have to wonder why so many are jumping on the Howell bandwagon. I do not see this as a move that Pikeville Football needs:what:
Can't see why anyone would think Chapman would want that position.
Jesus, I just mentioned some names. I in no way endorsed any of them, besides Mac. Feel free to tell me who is coming.
Pages: 1 2