Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: College Basketball polls for 12/7/09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
espn/usa today:

1. Kansas (31) 7-0 775
2. Texas 6-0 732
3. Villanova 8-0 699
4. Kentucky 8-0 672
5. Purdue 7-0 650
6. Syracuse 8-0 623
8. West Virginia 5-0 600
8. Duke 7-1 542
9. Tennessee 6-1 483
10. North Carolina 7-2 441
11. Florida 8-0 418
12. Connecticut 6-1 413
13. Georgetown 6-0 393
14. Michigan State 6-2 386
15. Ohio State 7-1 365
16. Washington 6-1 276
17. UNLV 7-0 253
18. Texas A&M 7-1 216
19. Cincinnati 5-1 177
20. Butler 6-2 150
21. Georgia Tech 6-1 128
22. Gonzaga 6-2 126
23. Wisconsin 6-1 104
24. Vanderbilt 6-1 67
24. Clemson 7-2 67
Others Receiving Votes
Texas Tech 49, Florida State 37, New Mexico 37, Louisville 36, Mississippi 27, Oklahoma State 17, Kansas State 16, Illinois 12, Memphis 10, California 10, St. John's 9, Notre Dame 8, Wake Forest 7, Charlotte 7, Northwestern 6, Saint Mary's 6, Richmond 5, Tulsa 5, Brigham Young 4, Washington State 3, William & Mary 3, Dayton 2, Seton Hall 2, Baylor 1.
Dropped From Rankings
Louisville 18, California 25.

ap not out yet
AP Top 25
1. Kansas (62) 7-0 1,621
2. Texas (1) 6-0 1,514
3. Villanova (1) 8-0 1,460
4. Kentucky 8-0 1,417
5. Purdue 7-0 1,409
6. West Virginia 5-0 1,272
7. Syracuse (1) 8-0 1,270
8. Duke 7-1 1,058
9. Tennessee 6-1 1,047
10. Florida 8-0 1,024
11. North Carolina 7-2 985
12. Michigan State 6-2 876
13. Ohio State 7-1 806
14. Connecticut 6-1 787
15. Georgetown 6-0 723
16. Texas A&M 7-1 512
17. Washington 6-1 495
18. UNLV 7-0 429
19. Cincinnati 5-1 334
20. Wisconsin 6-1 298
21. Gonzaga 6-2 279
22. Butler 6-2 221
23. Texas Tech 8-0 219
24. Georgia Tech 6-1 171
25. Mississippi 7-1 127
Others Receiving Votes
Memphis 99, Clemson 96, Vanderbilt 74, Florida State 59, Kansas State 59, Northwestern 48, Miami (FL) 46, Oklahoma State 41, Notre Dame 37, New Mexico 35, Illinois 18, Charlotte 18, Baylor 17, Richmond 17, Louisville 15, St. John's 14, Missouri State 14, Brigham Young 13, Pittsburgh 11, Dayton 8, Seton Hall 6, California 5, Minnesota 5, North Carolina State 3, Cornell 3, Illinois State 3, Tulsa 3, William & Mary 2, UAB 1, Northern Iowa 1.
Dropped From Rankings
Clemson 18, Louisville 20, Florida State 21, Portland 25.
Florida is moving higher and higher.

I noticed that out of both polls Kansas has all but 1 first place vote. Are they THAT much better than every other team? I am not saying that because I believe UK deserves a first place vote, I am just asking if Kansas is that good. I KNOW they are a great team but are they the unanimous #1 team in the nation?
Look at that 3 SEC East teams in the Top 10, SCARY! The SEC east is loaded this year!! An there's 4 SEC teams in the Top 25! Kansas i no where near a unanimous #1 they barely held off an unranked Memphis team and a 2-5 UCLA played a close game with them as well!! Out of the Top 4 teams Kentucky has the best win over at the time (10)North Carolina!!
I just want that championship banner.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I just want that championship banner.
yeah same here but a number one ranking is nice. I was 14 turning 15 the may after the championship game last time we won a title. I see you were just 6-7 and didn't really know what sports was that much in 1997-1998 season against utah for the title 78-69.

Kentucky won a big time game against stanford in the semis 86-85
leecoukfan Wrote:Look at that 3 SEC East teams in the Top 10, SCARY! The SEC east is loaded this year!! An there's 4 SEC teams in the Top 25! Kansas i no where near a unanimous #1 they barely held off an unranked Memphis team and a 2-5 UCLA played a close game with them as well!! Out of the Top 4 teams Kentucky has the best win over at the time (10)North Carolina!!

Vanderbilt will be in the top 25 before the end of the season
leecoukfan Wrote:Look at that 3 SEC East teams in the Top 10, SCARY! The SEC east is loaded this year!! An there's 4 SEC teams in the Top 25! Kansas i no where near a unanimous #1 they barely held off an unranked Memphis team and a 2-5 UCLA played a close game with them as well!! Out of the Top 4 teams Kentucky has the best win over at the time (10)North Carolina!!

Wow Ville fell out of top 25 again..lol..Kansas is great...Uk nearly lost Miami ohio and stanford ..I think texas is #1 team though
theVILLE Wrote:Wow Ville fell out of top 25 again..lol..Kansas is great...Uk nearly lost Miami ohio and stanford ..I think texas is #1 team though
stanford will beat ucla i would bet anything and miami ohio would beat ucla hitting 3s like they did against kentucky.

Kansas hasn't played a single top 25 team yet they just beat ucla by 12. portland who beat ucla by 27 got beat 2 times last week by non ranked teams in portland sate 86-82 and Idaho 68-48. remember ucla was 2-4 coming innow 2-5

So again I ask the question is Kansas really the number one team in all of college basketball? I say texas until north carolina beats them on the 19th if they pass that test then they're a legit top 10 team.

texas and kansas both haven't played a top 25 team yet.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:stanford will beat ucla i would bet anything and miami ohio would beat ucla hitting 3s like they did against kentucky.

Kansas hasn't played a single top 25 team yet they just beat ucla by 12. portland who beat ucla by 27 got beat 2 times last week by non ranked teams in portland sate 86-82 and Idaho 68-48. remember ucla was 2-4 coming innow 2-5

So again I ask the question is Kansas really the number one team in all of college basketball? I say texas until north carolina beats them on the 19th if they pass that test then they're a legit top 10 team.

texas and kansas both haven't played a top 25 team yet.

Yet they havent..but i fill sorry when the kansas o texas plays a top 25 team..Texas will kill any team they play i think right now...they are the legit #1 not kansas there #2 in my eyes
theVILLE Wrote:Yet they havent..but i fill sorry when the kansas o texas plays a top 25 team..Texas will kill any team they play i think right now...they are the legit #1 not kansas there #2 in my eyes
It is my opinion that north caroina speed and size will eat texas up.

also for kansas they will play the vols in january we'll see if they pass their first top 25 test. texas has to prove to me they're legit number #1 which they've yet to do from watching them.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:It is my opinion that north caroina speed and size will eat texas up.

also for kansas they will play the vols in january we'll see if they pass their first top 25 test. texas has to prove to me they're legit number #1 which they've yet to do from watching them.

I like Nova and kansas as a #2 and Texas at #1..Uk arguably #4 I say not but they will be in march..
theVILLE Wrote:I like Nova and kansas as a #2 and Texas at #1..Uk arguably #4 I say not but they will be in march..

Like i said wait until conference play begins by that time we might have a better idea of who a true number #1 is but so far nova,kansas,texas hasn't done any more than Kentucky
if kentucky beats Uconn, then they deserve to move into #1 at least a legit #2....
I had a little extra time today and no work tomorrow lol so I decided to share my thoughs...

The following is my thoughts on the ratings just based my personal opinion alone, as well as my ratings compared to the origional. Enjoy.

1. Kansas (31) 7-0 775
Looks Good at the the top spot for the moment...(MY RATING # 1)

2. Texas 6-0 732
Have looked good but still the most overated team in america...(MY RATING #5)

3. Villanova 8-0 699
Vey Good team, but not yet in the same league as KU,UK, and Purdue. Reynolds the 2nd best player in america...(MY RATING #4)

4. Kentucky 8-0 672
Still making some childish mistakes but they have the most talent. Could be the team to beat at years end...(MY RATING #3)

5. Purdue 7-0 650
Most Underated team at this point and I believe they could be the best team at this point but untill Kansas loses ill keep them 2nd...(MY RATING #2)

6. Syracuse 8-0 623
The biggest suprise so far for me. After the lost to the DII school I thought they'd be a Joke but there playing great...(MY RATING #6)

8. West Virginia 5-0 600
I think they'll be one of those teams who will lose momentum soon. I don't think there a legit contender for a national title...(MY RATING #15)

8. Duke 7-1 542
Duke is Duke and love them or hate them they can beat anyone on any given day. The individual talent is down but with coach K on the sidelines they'll be tough all season...(MY RATING #10)

9. Tennessee 6-1 483
Athletes everywhere. They could challenge UK for the SEC title and from top to bottom have unreal talent. Smith is so much fun to watch...(MY RATING #7)

They play one of the best schedules in college basketball. Some tough losses but also some impressive wins. Looked great in the second half Vs. UK...(MY RATING #8)

11. Florida 8-0 418
Great Coach who is undefeated. Alex Tyus is the most underated player in the nation and should be in the discussion for the all american team. 3rd best team in SEC...(MY RATING #11)

12. Connecticut 6-1 413
Good talent and Dyson has all the tools to be great, with that being said they should jump into the top 10 with an upset victory over UK...(My Rating # 13)

13. Georgetown 6-0 393
Good but not great, they have potential but dont have the greatness thats sets them apart from others this season, They dont have the "it" factor...(MY RATING # 12)

Mark this down, this team will be in the final four. had some tough loses against two good teams but could have beaten UNC even though that was the worst game they had played all season...(MY RATING #9)

15. Ohio State 7-1 365
They have a descent team but I don't see them competing for a national title. They should end the season with around 10-11 loses...(My Rating #17)

16. Washington 6-1 276
Thomas is one of the top 3-4 guards in america. The team to beat in the unusually weak PAC-10...(MY RATING #16)

17. UNLV 7-0 253
Don't know alot about them but being 7-0 they have to be pretty good. Jasper has found a home there and should do well...(MY RATING #25)

18. Texas A&M 7-1 216
They are fun to watch and have some good leadership...(MY RATING #18)

19. Cincinnati 5-1 177 Alot like Tennessee they are just stacked with athletes. They are a tough matchup for anyone and as soon as Stephenson starts adapting to the college game they will be very, very dangerous...(MY RATING #14)

20. Butler 6-2 150
Could you imagine Mack in Coach Cal's system?? This team is always dangerous in march...(MY RATING #19)

21. Georgia Tech 6-1 128
I like their talent and on that alone they will be dangerous...(MY RATING #21)

22. Gonzaga 6-2 126
Few is one of the best coaches in america and this years team ins not "soft" like some of the past Zags teams...(My Rating #20)

23. Wisconsin 6-1 104
Great wins this season...(My Rating #22)

24. Vanderbilt 6-1 67
No way this team should be top 25, Me being and SEC fan i'm disappointed in their play thus far, Replace them with Texas Tech...(NR)

24. Clemson 7-2 67
Could compete for the ACC Title, they could potentiall become a dangerous team...(My Rating #23)

*Replace Vandy w/Texas Tech @ #24.
btw..
I used the ESPN/USA today to campare too. Thank you an plese feel free to share you opinion or even critize my picks and id be glad to give you my reasoning. Id love to hear you comments good or bad....God Bless!!
Warriors23RJ Wrote:btw..
I used the ESPN/USA today to campare too. Thank you an plese feel free to share you opinion or even critize my picks and id be glad to give you my reasoning. Id love to hear you comments good or bad....God Bless!!
I'd like to know how you could even consider ku number #1 they've not beaten a top 25 team yet barely beat a unranked memphis team 57-55 beat a ucla by 12 who lost by 27 to portland and portland were beatin 2 times last week by unranked portland state 86-82 and idaho 68-48. I'm just not seeing a #1 for them imo texas should be ahead of kansas right now at the #1.

neither texas or kansas have really played anyone yet
ucla is 2-5
I just see them as the team to beat untill they lose. Simple as that. I really think Purdue is the best team in College basketball but Kansas is at the top untill they lose jmo.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:I had a little extra time today and no work tomorrow lol so I decided to share my thoughs...

The following is my thoughts on the ratings just based my personal opinion alone, as well as my ratings compared to the origional. Enjoy.

1. Kansas (31) 7-0 775
Looks Good at the the top spot for the moment...(MY RATING # 1)

2. Texas 6-0 732
Have looked good but still the most overated team in america...(MY RATING #5)

3. Villanova 8-0 699
Vey Good team, but not yet in the same league as KU,UK, and Purdue. Reynolds the 2nd best player in america...(MY RATING #4)

4. Kentucky 8-0 672
Still making some childish mistakes but they have the most talent. Could be the team to beat at years end...(MY RATING #3)

5. Purdue 7-0 650
Most Underated team at this point and I believe they could be the best team at this point but untill Kansas loses ill keep them 2nd...(MY RATING #2)

6. Syracuse 8-0 623
The biggest suprise so far for me. After the lost to the DII school I thought they'd be a Joke but there playing great...(MY RATING #6)

8. West Virginia 5-0 600
I think they'll be one of those teams who will lose momentum soon. I don't think there a legit contender for a national title...(MY RATING #15)

8. Duke 7-1 542
Duke is Duke and love them or hate them they can beat anyone on any given day. The individual talent is down but with coach K on the sidelines they'll be tough all season...(MY RATING #10)

9. Tennessee 6-1 483
Athletes everywhere. They could challenge UK for the SEC title and from top to bottom have unreal talent. Smith is so much fun to watch...(MY RATING #7)

They play one of the best schedules in college basketball. Some tough losses but also some impressive wins. Looked great in the second half Vs. UK...(MY RATING #8)

11. Florida 8-0 418
Great Coach who is undefeated. Alex Tyus is the most underated player in the nation and should be in the discussion for the all american team. 3rd best team in SEC...(MY RATING #11)

12. Connecticut 6-1 413
Good talent and Dyson has all the tools to be great, with that being said they should jump into the top 10 with an upset victory over UK...(My Rating # 13)

13. Georgetown 6-0 393
Good but not great, they have potential but dont have the greatness thats sets them apart from others this season, They dont have the "it" factor...(MY RATING # 12)

Mark this down, this team will be in the final four. had some tough loses against two good teams but could have beaten UNC even though that was the worst game they had played all season...(MY RATING #9)

15. Ohio State 7-1 365
They have a descent team but I don't see them competing for a national title. They should end the season with around 10-11 loses...(My Rating #17)

16. Washington 6-1 276
Thomas is one of the top 3-4 guards in america. The team to beat in the unusually weak PAC-10...(MY RATING #16)

17. UNLV 7-0 253
Don't know alot about them but being 7-0 they have to be pretty good. Jasper has found a home there and should do well...(MY RATING #25)

18. Texas A&M 7-1 216
They are fun to watch and have some good leadership...(MY RATING #18)

19. Cincinnati 5-1 177 Alot like Tennessee they are just stacked with athletes. They are a tough matchup for anyone and as soon as Stephenson starts adapting to the college game they will be very, very dangerous...(MY RATING #14)

20. Butler 6-2 150
Could you imagine Mack in Coach Cal's system?? This team is always dangerous in march...(MY RATING #19)

21. Georgia Tech 6-1 128
I like their talent and on that alone they will be dangerous...(MY RATING #21)

22. Gonzaga 6-2 126
Few is one of the best coaches in america and this years team ins not "soft" like some of the past Zags teams...(My Rating #20)

23. Wisconsin 6-1 104
Great wins this season...(My Rating #22)

24. Vanderbilt 6-1 67
No way this team should be top 25, Me being and SEC fan i'm disappointed in their play thus far, Replace them with Texas Tech...(NR)

24. Clemson 7-2 67
Could compete for the ACC Title, they could potentiall become a dangerous team...(My Rating #23)

*Replace Vandy w/Texas Tech @ #24.

It seems to me that you and I both put a LOT of stock into good guard play: Kansas, Villinova, Michigan State, Purdue all teams that we think will be dangerous in March.

With that said, I like your rankings for the most part. The only significant difference is where we would place UNLV. I do believe they are a top 20 team. I have only seen them play once though, my opinion could change.
How did UNC not fall out of the top 10? They have two losses and yet there they are.
I know this wont happen but if UK wins tonite there is absolutley no reason they shouldnt jump to #1. No way does Kansas or Texas or Villanova have a better resume.
lwc Wrote:It seems to me that you and I both put a LOT of stock into good guard play: Kansas, Villinova, Michigan State, Purdue all teams that we think will be dangerous in March.

With that said, I like your rankings for the most part. The only significant difference is where we would place UNLV. I do believe they are a top 20 team. I have only seen them play once though, my opinion could change.
Nice Post:Thumbs:. Without great guards and good leadership teams have no shot in march. It is guards who feed the big guys down low, set up the offense, break the press, set up teammates, find the gaps in the opposing "D", and are the best shooters 85% of the time. Very important to have good guard play if you want a national title.
i want a banner
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Nice Post:Thumbs:. Without great guards and good leadership teams have no shot in march. It is guards who feed the big guys down low, set up the offense, break the press, set up teammates, find the gaps in the opposing "D", and are the best shooters 85% of the time. Very important to have good guard play if you want a national title.

Just watched great guard play tonight. Cats defintely have the best guard in the nation. I was very impressed with UConn's guard play. They will be a bear in March