Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: WPRG camera/announcer Dr. Don passed away today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They said he passed away today after a massive heart attack........ everyone pray for his family......
So Sorry to hear this. Dr. "Don" was a person that as far as I know served his country and was just a legendary radio broadcaster....

Met him back in the mid 90's and was always a person that brought a smile to my face each time I saw him. What he brought to the "table" in his radio coverage is something that the younger generation of "DJ's" need to enstill in their careers. Honestly, Love for your country, and love and realize the influence on what you do.

He believed in standing up for what was right despite the beaurcacy of the "political" world and what the almighty dollar corrupted many in making sound and ethical decisions.

Another common folk "Legend" that this area will miss daily. As one of his favorite songs that he use to close out his radio show on Saturday nights during a great summer of listening to him back in the day was Charlie Gearheart and the boys "I'm goin Home" ....download the song and remember a great guy.

Dr. Don may there always be "Smoke on the Pond" for you..
I hate to hear this about such a great person.

My thoughts & prayers are with his family and friends.
Our thoughts and prayers will be with his family.
Very sad news too hear. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends!
Rip
My first rememberance of Dr. Don (The Music Professor) was in 1977. He was working at radio station WECL in Elkhorn City. Elvis Presley had just passes away, and I ran across his tribute broadcast of playing "Every song that Elvis ever recorded". He played Elvis songs nonstop for almost three straight days. He was very much a charactor back in his younger days and was a huge Elvis fan. He told of childhood memories where Elvis had been his musical inspiration and how it was he who had lead him to a career in music and broadcasting.. I still have that tribute recorded on 8 Track tapes. I saw him at a Johnson Central/Paintsville basketball game a couple of years ago, and I made a point to tell him that after 30 years I still had those tapes. It really seemed to excite him. I may be the only person living in the world that has a recording of that broadcast. I can still imagine in my mind him referring to that as a something that was "put down on wax". I'll never ever forget how he phrased that. He even asked if I would care to transfer those recordings for him onto cassettes or CD's. I had completely forgotten all about that, until now, after just reading this news. I am truely saddened and very sorry for his family with his passing.

RIP, Dr. Don.
Always had time to talk to anyone. He will be missed.