Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 48 Greenup County 39
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bad shooting night for both teams Russell had as many as an 11 point lead but failed to make some free throws/shot to extend it.
The game got heated toward the very end around the 2:05 mark in the 4th when hamton jumped over davidsons back.

Sounded like kidwell/fraley Russell/Greenup about got into it.
they did and if the #44 for Greenup is doing what he does tonight he better watch his back because payback is twice as worse
This game was an all out war. I attribute much of the bad shooting nights for both teams to some pretty intense defense. It's been a long time since I've seen a Russell-Greenup game with this much passion from both sides. It should be said that one of Greenup's top players, Trey Williams, was out for this game. I don't know why, but he sat behind the bench in warmups. Great effort from both sides, though. Any Russell-Greenup fans who stayed home tonight missed what a good rivalry game is all about.

Russell didn't seem to be able to generate many open looks at 3's. Their pressure defense was outstanding, though, and led to some nice baskets. Davidson has put on some muscle since last year and rebounded well under the basket. Greenup's Hampton, #44, is a terrific low post player. He scored 9 points in the 1st quarter, but then Russell shut him down. They were double and triple teaming him whenever he got the ball and no one else for Greenup stepped up to hit the big shots they needed. Both teams were less than stellar from the free throw line.

Overall, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement on both sides, but if these 2 teams bring this sort of intensity to the floor every night, then they will both give some of the top 16th region teams some battles this year.

Lastly, as for the near fight and the slew of technical fouls handed out, I just saw it as a good rivalry boiling over a little. Personally, I was just glad to see both teams wanted to win.
ryanparker Wrote:This game was an all out war. I attribute much of the bad shooting nights for both teams to some pretty intense defense. It's been a long time since I've seen a Russell-Greenup game with this much passion from both sides. It should be said that one of Greenup's top players, Trey Williams, was out for this game. I don't know why, but he sat behind the bench in warmups. Great effort from both sides, though. Any Russell-Greenup fans who stayed home tonight missed what a good rivalry game is all about.

Russell didn't seem to be able to generate many open looks at 3's. Their pressure defense was outstanding, though, and led to some nice baskets. Davidson has put on some muscle since last year and rebounded well under the basket. Greenup's Hampton, #44, is a terrific low post player. He scored 9 points in the 1st quarter, but then Russell shut him down. They were double and triple teaming him whenever he got the ball and no one else for Greenup stepped up to hit the big shots they needed. Both teams were less than stellar from the free throw line.

Overall, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement on both sides, but if these 2 teams bring this sort of intensity to the floor every night, then they will both give some of the top 16th region teams some battles this year.

Lastly, as for the near fight and the slew of technical fouls handed out, I just saw it as a good rivalry boiling over a little. Personally, I was just glad to see both teams wanted to win.
The score will end up the same imo because Russell isn't always going to shoot that bad and they have the hampton kid and williams and not much else.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:The score will end up the same imo because Russell isn't always going to shoot that bad and they have the hampton kid and williams and not much else.

It's hard to say how the next installment of this rivalry will wind up. You'd have to think that Williams would have certainly helped the Musketeers tonight. Russell didn't shoot very well, particularly from the foul line where they have got to a better job, but they didn't get a lot of open looks against the Greenup defense.

I thought this Russell team was very fun to watch last year because of their superb effort, even though the wins were hard to come by. I've been looking forward to this season and they are definitely not disappointing so far. The group is still bringing the same effort, Davidson has definitely gained some serious muscle to help out underneath, Skaggs is as smooth as a freshman can be out there under heavy pressure, and the seniors certainly have a ton of heart. Not to mention, the team appears to be in phenomenal shape and able to apply pressure defense pretty much all game long.

Anyone who considers themselves a fan of Russell sports should definitely make it out to support this team.
ryanparker Wrote:It's hard to say how the next installment of this rivalry will wind up. You'd have to think that Williams would have certainly helped the Musketeers tonight. Russell didn't shoot very well, particularly from the foul line where they have got to a better job, but they didn't get a lot of open looks against the Greenup defense.

I thought this Russell team was very fun to watch last year because of their superb effort, even though the wins were hard to come by. I've been looking forward to this season and they are definitely not disappointing so far. The group is still bringing the same effort, Davidson has definitely gained some serious muscle to help out underneath, Skaggs is as smooth as a freshman can be out there under heavy pressure, and the seniors certainly have a ton of heart. Not to mention, the team appears to be in phenomenal shape and able to apply pressure defense pretty much all game long.

Anyone who considers themselves a fan of Russell sports should definitely make it out to support this team.
Yeah I try a few games a year but most of the time I just listen to wlgc for basketball.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Yeah I try a few games a year but most of the time I just listen to wlgc for basketball.

They do a good job with the games. Did they go off the air quick tonight? By the time I made it to my car, music was already playing on the station. I was looking forward to hearing Coach Kidwell's comments.
ryanparker Wrote:They do a good job with the games. Did they go off the air quick tonight? By the time I made it to my car, music was already playing on the station. I was looking forward to hearing Coach Kidwell's comments.
Yeah they talked to kidwell tonight about all the technicals and the fight that almost happened etc. He said coach morris who scouted said Rowan was pretty much like boyd turnover prone with pressure.
Trey would of been a difference maker, but it still would of been a close game. Trey and Dustin create mismatches with Russell. #40 from Russell has hard time guard anybody from the basket. Next ought to be good one also.TongueirateShoHopefully Fraley is smart enough to figure that out.
CleanupMan Wrote:Trey would of been a difference maker, but it still would of been a close game. Trey and Dustin create mismatches with Russell. #40 from Russell has hard time guard anybody from the basket. Next ought to be good one also.TongueirateShoHopefully Fraley smart enough to figure that out.
that #40 had about 16+ rebounds that greenup didn't get he played a big role in Russells win.
Linthicum can't shoot from what i have heard so far he scored like maybe 3 max. So about the only thing he does is has some length on d. he scored a total of 1 against paintsville.
Greenup is pitiful on rebounding.
Who was the second set of T's given to coaches, players who anyone know?
16BBall Fan Wrote:Who was the second set of T's given to coaches, players who anyone know?
assistants from Russell and greenup weren't allowed to go on the court.
Davidson and Nathan Taylor stood out in this game. Obviously Williams not playing hurt Greenup but I'm not sure it would have been enough to counter the kind of defense And depth that Russell can bring.

I said in the prediction thread I don't think either of these teams would win by double digits. I think that holds true for later matchups between them.
FBALL Wrote:Davidson and Nathan Taylor stood out in this game. Obviously Williams not playing hurt Greenup but I'm not sure it would have been enough to counter the kind of defense And depth that Russell can bring.

I said in the prediction thread I don't think either of these teams would win by double digits. I think that holds true for later matchups between them.
If Russell gets hot from 3 like they did against boyd they will win by 15 to 20.
Congrats Russell
Greenup Co. 11 8 3 14 39

Russell 9 12 12 15 48

Greenup Co. (1-1) -- Prater 1, Gullett 15, Hampton 13, Hunter 2, Justice 1, Tackett 3, Stringfellow 2, Linthicum 2.
Russell (2-0) -- Ross 1, Taylor 4, Skaggs 7, Stapleton 15, Alexander 4, McKenzie 2, Whittaker 3, Davidson 9, Hunt 3.
Kentucky.com
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Linthicum can't shoot from what i have heard so far he scored like maybe 3 max. So about the only thing he does is has some length on d. he scored a total of 1 against paintsville.

Linthicum has been hurt all year long so he hasn't got to play to his full potential yet this season. He's been playing varsity since his 8th grade year so he has to be capable of scoring some points. Since he has had an ankle injury he's going to have to have some bad games before he can be back 100 percent so that's probably why you have thought he's struggled. Nobody I know can come back from an ankle injury and be 100 percent in the first 2-3 games... not even Eric Craft. :Cheerlead
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:assistants from Russell and greenup weren't allowed to go on the court.

From what I saw at the game, none of the assistants from Greenup even moved during the altercation. I am pretty sure the assistants from Greenup didn't have anything to do with the situation. The Russell trainer received a technical.
sacbunt Wrote:From what I saw at the game, none of the assistants from Greenup even moved during the altercation. I am pretty sure the assistants from Greenup didn't have anything to do with the situation. The Russell trainer received a technical.
it was assistants from both teams according to kidwell.