Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class 3A: Region 4 District 8 in 2010
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How does this district stack up next year.

My very early 2010 pre-season picks

1 Sheldon Clark , veteran team for next year

2 Belfry , talented will be young again

3 Pike Central, coach makes a big difference on the hill

4 East Ridge. Coach Allen continuing too build a program.
I guess we could call these.. the pre.. pre.. pre-season picks.. lol.. but i agree
Lol so we have already figured out 2010. Let's go for 2011 and 2012. Lol
Sounds like some hopeful picking, don't overlook the kids on the hill....Pike Central should be as strong for 2010 as they were in 2009.... Chapman will again see that the "Hawks" will be firing on all cylinders! The major loss for the Hawks is at QB and RB, but some great replacements have already secured those positions, and if new talent comes in...They would be a good choice for the top position, and if not it will still be a toss up between the Hawks, and the Pirates with SC coming in a distant 3rd.....SC has loss a lot of players, and will have a hard time replacing them, where the Hawks and Pirates will have a large core of players to choose from, that should make the difference in the way they stack up for 2010..
sheldon clark should be fine they only loose 2 lineman and 2 backs on offense and 1 defensive lineman and 3 dbs but all have been replaced with stronger , faster players so they should be in the hunt for regional champs again.
East Ridge is only losing 4 seniors. Talk about a young expericenced team.
The district still has to come thru Belfry with a good
bunch of boys and as long as we have Coach Haywood
we are still a little ahead of the rest GOOD LUCK PIRATES
IN 2010. We are still Belfry and we are still good.
Sc will still be great next year and it is between belrfy and SC with Sc having a great line and great backs with KP and avery so they wont be behind anyone and most definitely wont be distant. just because PC had the greatest year ever and beat SC when they had 5 starters out. they still got beat by SC when they had all there players. we are already in the weight room so dont even think about a distant 3rd place for us.
osufan Wrote:Sc will still be great next year and it is between belrfy and SC with Sc having a great line and great backs with KP and avery so they wont be behind anyone and most definitely wont be distant. just because PC had the greatest year ever and beat SC when they had 5 starters out. they still got beat by SC when they had all there players. we are already in the weight room so dont even think about a distant 3rd place for us.

I believe the Hawks will be at the top! They have about 40+ in weight room and are very excited.
osufan Wrote:Sc will still be great next year and it is between belrfy and SC with Sc having a great line and great backs with KP and avery so they wont be behind anyone and most definitely wont be distant. just because PC had the greatest year ever and beat SC when they had 5 starters out. they still got beat by SC when they had all there players. we are already in the weight room so dont even think about a distant 3rd place for us.

I agree, SC should do extremely well in 2010! A few caveats, however: Turnovers must be reduced drastically, minimum injuries, no suspensions, and limit mistakes to very few.

The 2009 season proved that SC could overcome adversity. Let us look to 2010 with little or no adversity.
I believe Coach Chapman will be very successful building the program as long as he has support. He definitely has what it takes to get the job done. Go Hawks! :1:
nopainnogain,

you are right....rumor has it "Chapman" knows how to build a team...Take what is offered at Pike Central in regards to its players, and fill in with Perry County Central's players...Should be a good year, if all works out?
roots rod Wrote:sheldon clark should be fine they only loose 2 lineman and 2 backs on offense and 1 defensive lineman and 3 dbs but all have been replaced with stronger , faster players so they should be in the hunt for regional champs again.

Thats comical. You have much more confidence in the replacements than the coaches do
we have confidence in the kids that are steppin up because they have all started in games and done well in the games they played. We will show everyone next year when KP runs over and around the othere teams next year and our starting front 4 on
D destroys most of there opponents with ease.
Yes indeed! Can't wait for season to get started!!! Go Hawks!
hawkeye Wrote:I believe the Hawks will be at the top! They have about 40+ in weight room and are very excited.

Belfry has 75+ in the weight room and they as well are excited about the upcoming season!!
As you lift in the east, here is a point to ponder from the west. Paducah Tilghman's heaviest defensive lineman weighed 215 and heaviest on the O line was barely 230. I doubt any could bench 275 if that. Our line was often outweighed by 100 pounds a man and we dressed only about 43 kids. Lifting is fine, but if you can't bring team speed and agility to the table at every position on every play, you risk losing to a team that can. Several teams with far superior size found that out. If you play for Paducah Tilghman, you will run and condition relentlessly. While you get stronger, we will get faster. Best of luck in 2010.
Tica Wrote:As you lift in the east, here is a point to ponder from the west. Paducah Tilghman's heaviest defensive lineman weighed 215 and heaviest on the O line was barely 230. I doubt any could bench 275 if that. Our line was often outweighed by 100 pounds a man and we dressed only about 43 kids. Lifting is fine, but if you can't bring team speed and agility to the table at every position on every play, you risk losing to a team that can. Several teams with far superior size found that out. If you play for Paducah Tilghman, you will run and condition relentlessly. While you get stronger, we will get faster. Best of luck in 2010.

You somewhat described Prestonsburg as well.
BlackcatAlum, I would wholeheartedly agree that Prestonsburg fits the mold that was described. Strength is great, but if that's all that he has, he is missing some extremely important components to make a good football player.

Moreover, having a huge number of players dressed for a game is not nearly as important as having a super eleven on the field.

I will state a personal situation I witnessed a few years past: I saw a team that began the year with seventeen (17) players, and they ended the year with only 13. It was so depressing that the coach wanted to forfeit the last game but the players convinced him to play. They won the game! Thankfully they had no serious injuries. Oh, by the way, they actually had a winning season.

Therefore teams that do not field fifty to sixty players at game night, do not despair for only eleven are on the playing field at a given time.
Tica Wrote:As you lift in the east, here is a point to ponder from the west. Paducah Tilghman's heaviest defensive lineman weighed 215 and heaviest on the O line was barely 230. I doubt any could bench 275 if that. Our line was often outweighed by 100 pounds a man and we dressed only about 43 kids. Lifting is fine, but if you can't bring team speed and agility to the table at every position on every play, you risk losing to a team that can. Several teams with far superior size found that out. If you play for Paducah Tilghman, you will run and condition relentlessly. While you get stronger, we will get faster. Best of luck in 2010.

Well, Belfry does have some that bench 275 or more squat 500 or more but they also haev the speed and agility to go along with it. They work not only on strength, they work on the other essentials that make them a contender year in and year out. Belfry will be fine this year regardless of what many wish to believe!!
phs1986 Wrote:Well, Belfry does have some that bench 275 or more squat 500 or more but they also haev the speed and agility to go along with it. They work not only on strength, they work on the other essentials that make them a contender year in and year out. Belfry will be fine this year regardless of what many wish to believe!!

Wait til you see Pike County Central. MANY will not only be "Surprised" but "Shocked"! Can't wait to see how far this team goes!!!:1:
Exceptional, explosive speed enabled a team small in size and numbers and with ordinary talent to win 3A. I think if you studied some film, there could be a lesson or two learned from that in the off-season.
Tica, a very good point! I have read some insightful comments on this thread, and as always, all of us are welcome to express our opinions. As we all know, however, opinions are exactly that, OPINIONS. But that's a good thing, for we all think differently and see situations differently.

Based upon the postings on this thread, one aspect of the 2010 season was not mentioned. If it was, I missed it. And, that is the role the head coach plays.

Most definitely he should be a leader, a motivator, a teacher of fundamentals, a disciplinarian, and know how to handle individual players, for different techniques motivate different players. Oh, I almost forgot, he certainly should be an exceptional listener, because someone just might provide some insightful advice that he could use profitably.

I would welcome some additional opinions regarding the importance of the coach. For as I mentioned above, everyone has an opinion.
paulcssi, you made some very astute observations or opinions, whichever applies.

Maybe a few additional opinions/observations should be put on the list to consider: Don't pander to parents, for many of them think "Johnny or Sammy" is a star, and should be getting more playing time or be a starter. You be the determining factor, not the parent Be your own man and play the very best players that are available, and do not get ensconced in the mindset that a senior should be starting, when an underclassman is the better player. Again, play your best, whether he is a freshman, sophomore, junior, or a senior. Also, a coach should always be aware of the sleeper, (one who has improved dramatically from last season) and do not continue with last year's starter if he has not performed up to par, or someone else would be a better fit for the position.

Another extremely important trait a coach must possess is: when you tell a young man something, follow through on it. If you tell him he is going to be doing thus and so in the next game, have him do it! Broken promises to your players are unacceptable.

A huge confidence "buster" is to spend an inordinate amount of time practicing specific plays and then not implementing them in the Friday night game. Not only have you wasted precious time that could have been better used practicing what you knew you were going to do, but is, moreover, discouraging to the players. The young men, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen, are substantially smarter than we adults give them credit.
The great thing about this district (for everyone else) is that it is arguably the overall strongest 3A in the state. These fine teams beat up on each other all year long. I'm glad we are far away. I would go so far as to predict that a team from here in 2010 has a good chance of winning a bracket to Bowling Green. I did not realize how many return at PCC. As far as coaching - a coach has to be able to kill the kittens. If need be, he has to be willing to bench his best friend's son and then be able to sit next to that family in church on Sunday, look those people in the eye and offer his hand.
You just summarized Coach Chapman!
Paducah Tilghman's speed is great, but without the weight room, injuries comes to those who are not in the weight room to strengthen the muscles, and a lot of players are hurt due to no strength...JMO?
PC (9-2) 2009 Wrote:Paducah Tilghman's speed is great, but without the weight room, injuries comes to those who are not in the weight room to strengthen the muscles, and a lot of players are hurt due to no strength...JMO?

That's why it's so important for these boys to work hard and remain focused during the off season. Hopefully Coach Chapman will be successful and be able to get these boys to remain focused this winter/spring and then have a healthy team come fall!!!
It is not that Paducah Tilghman players never lift. Of course some do in the fieldhouse and some also lift in an advanced PE class. Some also wrestle. But the football culture here is very focused at all positions toward speed and agility as opposed to size and strength. With Randy Wyatt also coaching track, he knows how to recognize and develop speed. 2010 also will tell if that strategy and the 2009 trophy was a one-time, luck-drenched event, or was it the start of a new tack. I wish it would all start tomorrow. Sounds like at least three teams from this district could be loaded.
Tica Wrote:It is not that Paducah Tilghman players never lift. Of course some do in the fieldhouse and some also lift in an advanced PE class. Some also wrestle. But the football culture here is very focused at all positions toward speed and agility as opposed to size and strength. With Randy Wyatt also coaching track, he knows how to recognize and develop speed. 2010 also will tell if that strategy and the 2009 trophy was a one-time, luck-drenched event, or was it the start of a new tack. I wish it would all start tomorrow. Sounds like at least three teams from this district could be loaded.

Two teams could be loaded.

One team will be decent.

One team will still try to build a program.

Thats the story of Class 3A-8. And it will be for a while.
Pages: 1 2