Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Poor basketball court conditions in Cancun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to several players and Coach Cal himself, the makeshift court at the Cancun Challenge tourny has several dips and cracks in it. This is bad, as it increases the likelihood for sprained ankles.

Below are some pictures taken from KSR, they are playing in an ballroom that's been converted to a basketball court and seats about 1200 (and that might be a stretch). Who thought this was a good idea?

[Image: cancun-pics11.jpg]

[Image: cancunpics2.jpg]
That does not bode well for UK's players. I think they need to take it easy and think health first. The season is a long one and championships are won in March/April not in November invitationals.
This is just weird
theres a freaking scoreboard hanging from the ceiling by bungie straps thats just absolutley sad but hilarious
Remember guys who scheduled this tournament.
After seeing these pictures, I now understand why these games are only being broadcast on CBS College Sports. On a similar note, what kind of camera angle will they be using? Are they going to hang a camera guy from one of the chandeliers?
As someone who does lighting design for a living I can honestly say I have never, nor will ever, see a gym in the United States with chandeliers and cove lighting over the playing surface.The primary lights are the same fixtures used in classrooms and office for general lighting.
Horrible, hope no one breaks their ankle on that piece of crap floor. One would think the safety of the players would be of concern to the NCAA. I really think the NCAA should be made aware.
That is just pathetic
that is pathetic but very funny
Horrible. I hope noone is injured playing here.
It look like an old high school gym. There is High school gyms that look better then that one, and seat alot more people. You can tell that basketball isn't that big of a sport down in Mexico.
WOW!!!

Cannot believe we even agreed to participate in this with such poor conditions.
cj2561 Wrote:It look like an old high school gym. There is High school gyms that look better then that one, and seat alot more people. You can tell that basketball isn't that big of a sport down in Mexico.

It's bigger than you think :thumpsup:...

Apparently it was Billy G's big idea to agree to play down there...
There has to be a real gym somewhere in Cancun
wow.. hope they dont knock a light down lol... that would be an awful mess lol
Benchwarmer Wrote:There has to be a real gym somewhere in Cancun

You know, that's what I was thinking. Was this really the only place they could have had it?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Horrible. I hope noone is injured playing here.

I'm sure if Calipari thought someone on the team could be hurt playing in this game because of the conditions, he would find someway to get a change of venue or if all else fails forfeit the game.
Wow... Not sure what to say. Takes me back to my elementary school basketball days. Saying that looks like an old high school gym is giving it too much credit.
Hopefully we will never have to play in a crappy tourney like this again. I mean look at that.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Wow... Not sure what to say. Takes me back to my elementary school basketball days. Saying that looks like an old high school gym is giving it too much credit.

:lmao::biggrin:

No one try a half court shot!
Unbelievable!! I can't believe that they are going to let these college athletes play on a court that is so poorly assembled! Surely there is a high school or some kind of local sports complex in the area that they can play in with better court conditions!!
vundy33 Wrote:It's bigger than you think :thumpsup:...

Apparently it was Billy G's big idea to agree to play down there...

you know he hoped to have lived it up and tied one on between games...(err even during them) and lounge out on the beach. i am surprised the billy g didnt get us tied into games at new orleans during mardi gras or daytona during spring break.