Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Preseason Coaches Top 25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From Louisivlle Courier Journal:

COACHES' TOP 25 TEAMS
(First-place votes in parentheses)

Rank TeamRegion’08-’09

1. Holmes (87) Ninth 36-2

2. Scott County (24) 11th 28-4

3. Eastern (6) Seventh 31-3

4. Shelby Valley (1) 15th 31-5

5. Clark County (1) 10th 25-7

6. Christian County Second 21-7

7. Warren Central Fourth 25-5

8. Lexington Catholic 11th 26-8

9. Jeffersontown Seventh 27-5

10. Tates Creek 11th 14-12

11. Ballard Seventh 25-7

12. Mason County 10th 24-7

13. Pleasure Ridge Park (1) Sixth 23-8

14. Bowling Green Fourth 26-7

15. Shelby County Eighth 16-15

16. Iroquois Sixth 19-8

17. Boone County Ninth 26-5

18. Bryan Station 11th 19-8

19. Central Sixth 19-15

20. West Jessamine 12th 28-9

21. Trinity Seventh 22-8

22. North Hardin Fifth 22-10

23. Graves County First 23-10

24. Knott County Central 14th 22-9

25. Male Seventh 16-12

Thoughts?
Dang, didn't expect Shelby Valley to be that high.

BTW, the BGR rankings will be coming out on the 30th.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Dang, didn't expect Shelby Valley to be that high.

I personally don't think Shelby Valley is a top 5 team. Not a knock on them, but I'd go with the following top 10:

1. Holmes
2. Scott Co
3. Eastern
4. Clark Co
5. Christian Co
6. Warren Central
7. Lexington Catholic
8. Shelby Valley
9. Jeffersontown
10. Tates Creek

I think Male is extremely underrated at #25. They have three of the best players in the 7th region with D'carlo Hayes, Kevin Glenn, and Kevin Pillischaske.

Highlands not being in the top 25 also surprises me. They return everyone from last season's 9th region semi final team and from what I hear will have a few guys out this year as surprises from the football team. I'd have Highlands in the 15-20 range and move Boone Co behind them.
kywldcat01 Wrote:From Louisivlle Courier Journal:

COACHES' TOP 25 TEAMS
(First-place votes in parentheses)

Rank TeamRegion’08-’09

1. Holmes (87) Ninth 36-2

2. Scott County (24) 11th 28-4

3. Eastern (6) Seventh 31-3

4. Shelby Valley (1) 15th 31-5

5. Clark County (1) 10th 25-7

6. Christian County Second 21-7

7. Warren Central Fourth 25-5

8. Lexington Catholic 11th 26-8

9. Jeffersontown Seventh 27-5

10. Tates Creek 11th 14-12

11. Ballard Seventh 25-7

12. Mason County 10th 24-7

13. Pleasure Ridge Park (1) Sixth 23-8

14. Bowling Green Fourth 26-7

15. Shelby County Eighth 16-15

16. Iroquois Sixth 19-8

17. Boone County Ninth 26-5

18. Bryan Station 11th 19-8

19. Central Sixth 19-15

20. West Jessamine 12th 28-9

21. Trinity Seventh 22-8

22. North Hardin Fifth 22-10

23. Graves County First 23-10

24. Knott County Central 14th 22-9

25. Male Seventh 16-12

Thoughts?

After what Mason Co graduated, the transfer of Barner and possibility of Pawsat not playing this year, believe they are ranked too high. Also thought Male was ranked too low.

BlackcatAlum Wrote:Dang, didn't expect Shelby Valley to be that high.

I didn't either. They will have a very good team, just not top 5. But this is the coaches poll.
Gold Charger Wrote:After what Mason Co graduated, the transfer of Barner and possibility of Pawsat not playing this year, believe they are ranked too high. Also thought Male was ranked too low

I agree. Mason Co will be in the 20-25 range this year IMO.

Male is indeed ranked too low at 25. Not that it matter, but they were kentuckpreps.com's preseason #9.

I think by the end of December you won't even see some of these teams ranked in the top 25 and you'll see some new additions that aren't there now.
I See More NKY Teams Being Ranked As The Season Goes On
Peacedomes85 Wrote:I See More NKY Teams Being Ranked As The Season Goes On

Yea I think Holmes, Boone Co, and Highlands will all represent the 9th region in the top 25.

Scott or Ryle could also sneak in there somewhere as well.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I agree. Mason Co will be in the 20-25 range this year IMO.

Male is indeed ranked too low at 25. Not that it matter, but they were kentuckpreps.com's preseason #9.

I think by the end of December you won't even see some of these teams ranked in the top 25 and you'll see some new additions that aren't there now.

All The Things That Has Happened To Mason County Will Have An Affect On The Ranking.

Male Is Probably Ranked That Low since Their Record From Last Year, But They Are A Fantastic Teams This Year.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON THE LAST COMMENT
kywldcat01 Wrote:I agree. Mason Co will be in the 20-25 range this year IMO.

I agree and you could see some of the top ones fall in the rankings with their schedules. Don't see any of the teams going without some losses. While other may rise due to easier schedules.
Gold Charger Wrote:I agree and you could see some of the top ones fall in the rankings with their schedules. Don't see any of the teams going without some losses. While other may rise due to easier schedules.

Completely agree. It wouldn't surprise me at all if by mid December Eastern, Holmes, and Clark Co all had a loss. Two of the three will definetly have atleast one because only one can win the KOB.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Completely agree. It wouldn't surprise me at all if by mid December Eastern, Holmes, and Clark Co all had a loss. Two of the three will definitely have atleast one because only one can win the KOB.

We play Male Dec 12 that will be a tuff game. Madison Central away on Dec 8th....very hard to win there. They also always have a great game against us.

Besides the tourneys. I can see GRC possibly loosing 5 games this year during the regular season.
Gold Charger Wrote:We play Male Dec 12 that will be a tuff game. Madison Central away on Dec 8th....very hard to win there. They also always have a great game against us.

Besides the tourneys. I can see GRC possibly loosing 5 games this year during the regular season.

Holmes also plays an extremely tough schedule:

Dec 5 v Bowman Academy Gary, IN @ Marshall Co
Dec 12 v Memphis Central @ Warren Central
Dec 18 v Powder Springs McEachern, GA (KOB)
^Could lose two games here
Jan 6 v Princeton, OH
Jan 16 v Christian Co @ Montgomery Co
Feb 5 @ Highlands
Feb 6 v Warren Central

I don't want to predict an amount of losses, but with that type of schedule and playing inside the 9th region, they'll lose a few games this season. Every out of state team they play has a player ranked in the Rivals top 100.
Scott County

@ Ballard Dec 3
Tates Creek Dec 8
Roger Bacon (Cinn OH) Dec 12
Norcross, GA Dec 21
Beachball Classic @ Myrtle Beach 7 top 50 teams in the nation in the tourney! 26-31
Male Jan 9
Ballou From Washington DC top 100 in the nation Jan 20
Irvington From New Jersey top 100 team Jan 21
@ GRC Jan 30
Lexiington Catholic Feb 13

Plus all the schools in the 11 Region!
Knott Central 24th?
king360 Wrote:Knott Central 24th?

I wondered the same thing. I doubt very seriously they're a better team than Male or Highlands.

BTW...I wonder who gave Shelby Valley their first place vote? :please:
I think Shelby Valley is ranked too high as well as Mason County since Barner has left and the other kid being injured. But there is one good thing everyone can judge for themselves as Scott County, Shelby Valley, Clark County, Tates Creek and Trinity will be in the Fast Lane Classic Saturday at Sheldon Clark.
Watched Knott beat Warren Central by 11 Saturday at Corbin watched the game live on Wazzoo Sports. Warren Central was ranked #7 in the CJ poll.KCC looked pretty darn good. Its appears that Fraley has brought DEFENSE to KCC.
Down and Out Wrote:I think Shelby Valley is ranked too high as well as Mason County since Barner has left and the other kid being injured. But there is one good thing everyone can judge for themselves as Scott County, Shelby Valley, Clark County, Tates Creek and Trinity will be in the Fast Lane Classic Saturday at Sheldon Clark.

True, but I wouldn't put much stock in a scrimmage or pre season game.
Captain Crook Wrote:Watched Knott beat Warren Central by 11 Saturday at Corbin watched the game live on Wazzoo Sports. Warren Central was ranked #7 in the CJ poll.KCC looked pretty darn good. Its appears that Fraley has brought DEFENSE to KCC.

Shanklin didnt play for Warren central in that game, as he's out with a hurt leg.

KCC may have won the scrimmage but they didn't see the same team that was picked #7 in the CJ poll. SHanklin is rated as one of the best juniors in the state and also considered a big prospect nationally as well at the pg position.
No way Clark co...............is a ................top 5 team.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Shanklin didnt play for Warren central in that game, as he's out with a hurt leg.

KCC may have won the scrimmage but they didn't see the same team that was picked #7 in the CJ poll. SHanklin is rated as one of the best juniors in the state and also considered a big prospect nationally as well at the pg position.

KCC was also was shorthanded Davis was given fluids by IV before game, and at halftime due to dehydration from illness, Ratliff and Bartrum had been with team less than 10 days. Knott held WC without a field goal for over nine minutes....but I guess KCC didn't have anything to do with that:eyeroll:
and held Fant to 9 points...If you didn't know this was a coaches poll...probaly the most accurate poll of all that will come out.
killerb Wrote:KCC was also was shorthanded Davis was given fluids by IV before game, and at halftime due to dehydration from illness, Ratliff and Bartrum had been with team less than 10 days. Knott held WC without a field goal for over nine minutes....but I guess KCC didn't have anything to do with that:eyeroll:
and held Fant to 9 points...If you didn't know this was a coaches poll...probaly the most accurate poll of all that will come out.

Hey if you want to put stock in to a scrimmage game in which both teams substituted players freely then go ahead, if that makes you feel better about your team.

I'd say Shanklin is a little more important to his team though than anyone you just mentioned. Look at WC with Shanklin last year and without him and you'll realize why he is so important to them.
Skinner Wrote:No way Clark co...............is a ................top 5 team.

Clark is definetly a top 5 team.

I saw them Saturday against Holmes and although Holmes used 10 guys consistently throughout the game, the Cards are definetly everything they've been hyped to be.

Purvis, Daniels, and Zollo will be one of the best front courts in the state this year, if not the best...mark it down.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Hey if you want to put stock in to a scrimmage game in which both teams substituted players freely then go ahead, if that makes you feel better about your team.

I'd say Shanklin is a little more important to his team though than anyone you just mentioned. Look at WC with Shanklin last year and without him and you'll realize why he is so important to them.

Knott substitued a lot more than WC.... a question have you seen Knott play? Have you seen Zach Davis play?
kywldcat01 Wrote:Clark is definetly a top 5 team.

I saw them Saturday against Holmes and although Holmes used 10 guys consistently throughout the game, the Cards are definetly everything they've been hyped to be.

Purvis, Daniels, and Zollo will be one of the best front courts in the state this year, if not the best...mark it down.

I agree The Cards are loaded with talent and deserving of being ranked in the top 5 in the state. Don't forget Cory Rogers, he was the starting center last year. Just will take some time to come back from football.

GRC used Fatkin and Vancleave. The others that will be in the top rotation are, Dini, Skinner, and Rogers. They just joined the team last week from football. That is why you didn't see more of a rotation.

Did Holmes have any football players in their top rotation ?
Gold Charger Wrote:I agree The Cards are loaded with talent and deserving of being ranked in the top 5 in the state. Don't forget Cory Rogers, he was the starting center last year. Just will take some time to come back from football.

GRC used Fatkin and Vancleave. The others that will be in the top rotation are, Dini, Skinner, and Rogers. They just joined the team last week from football. That is why you didn't see more of a rotation.

Did Holmes have any football players in their top rotation ?

I actually forgot about Rogers. I thought the Cards looked better with Daniels in there. He brings more versatility to the lineup as he can handle the ball or play inside or on the wing.

The only football player that Holmes has in their top rotation was Hayes. He started WR for the Dogs and is a junior.

I'd expect them to settle with the following rotation against the better teams:

Starters: Avery, R. Johnson, J. Johnson, Rice, Pittman
Bench: Mayfield (jr), McClendon (Frosh), Slusher (Sr), Hayes (Jr)

Mayfield and Slusher are probably the only two will see more than 8 mpg though.
Captain Crook Wrote:Watched Knott beat Warren Central by 11 Saturday at Corbin watched the game live on Wazzoo Sports. Warren Central was ranked #7 in the CJ poll.KCC looked pretty darn good. Its appears that Fraley has brought DEFENSE to KCC.

I agree
If I was going to pick someone other than Holmes and Scott Co. to win the whole thing......Clark may be my pick.
killerb Wrote:Knott substitued a lot more than WC.... a question have you seen Knott play? Have you seen Zach Davis play?

Indeed...I watched Boone Co dominate KCC last year by 23 points.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Indeed...I watched Boone Co dominate KCC last year by 23 points.

This thread is not the top 25 08/09 season
I do believe we are talking about this year.
Pages: 1 2