Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Preseason Mr. Basketball Favorites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
MR. BASKETBALL EARLY FAVORITES

Jody Demling's top 5:

Ricardo Johnson, Holmes (2-1 odds): No.1 player on the No.1 team in the state. He's the one to beat right now.

Ge-lawn Guyn, Scott County (4-1): He might have the most potential of any senior in Kentucky. Only problem is that he's on a team full of stars.

Elisha Justice, Shelby Valley (5-1): He'll get overwhelming support from Eastern Kentucky and has a good shot to sneak away with the honor.

Elijah Pittman, Holmes (15-1): He actually posted bigger numbers than Johnson last season. Could take the award if he outshines his teammate this season.

Chad Jackson, Scott County (20-1): Another who will lose votes to a teammate. But he'll get plenty of chances to impress voters.

Link

Thoughts?
Those 5 are pretty close together...for the 1st time in a few years we have a solid crop of talent not just one player standing out above everyone else.
Can't argue with this.
What really hurts Pittman, R. Johnson, Jackson, and Guyn is that they'll all 4 lose votes to their teammates.

Holmes' Pittman and R. Johnson are two of the top 3 players in the state so both will splite votes amongst the writers and coaches around the state that vote for Mr. Basketball.

Same goes with Chad Jackson and Ge'Lawn Guyn.

The one advantage that I'd give to the Holmes duo is Holmes' schedule will allow them to be seen around the state which will give them more exposure amongst the writers and coaches.

Holmes will play in Western Ky twice. (At Marshall Co v Bowman Academy Dec. 5, At Warren Central v Memphis Central Dec. 12)

They willl play in Louisville in the KOB Dec 17-22nd.

They also play in Central KY. (at Mason Co Jan 2nd, at Montgomery Co v Christian Co Jan 16th)

And lastly they play their traditional tough 9th region and nky schedule while bringing in Warren Central and Princeton, OH to play them at home.

With Holmes being favored to make it back to Rupp, that also provides even more exposure for them at the end of the season.

It will be hard for Justice to get votes outside of EKY which is why I see him being a threat, but a long shot.
Solid top 5. Going to be a hard decision.
Not going to be hard at all. If Holmes wins the state, give it to Ricardo. Pittman has no shot. Does not have the body language to get the coaches vote, although he is very talented. Only one who can challenge Ricardo is Justice, who gets a lot of character votes on top of the fact he is going to Louisville and can flat play
I dont know if Justice is better than Ricardo or not but if Sv makes to another ALL A Championship and he plays well there are a lot of people who will wanna to vote for him. He just has to go out and play and give them justification.
dejavu Wrote:Not going to be hard at all. If Holmes wins the state, give it to Ricardo. Pittman has no shot. Does not have the body language to get the coaches vote, although he is very talented. Only one who can challenge Ricardo is Justice, who gets a lot of character votes on top of the fact he is going to Louisville and can flat play

Does Mr. Basketball have anything to do with how well you play on the court? Plus Justice is a walk-on for Louisville. I agree he can play. So if Scott County wins the State does anyone of the three top players in State on that team have a shot? Plus Pittman has the same chance as anyone. I think Mr. Basketball will be won at the Sweet 16 by they best player on the floor. If I can remember Ge'lawn Guyn got the 2nd highest votes for Mr. Basketball in the preseason not Justice. I hope Justice wins the Mr. Character award. But all of the Kids have alot of Good Character. How about the coaches vote on the best basketball player. I know Mr. Basketball in Indiana will be the best player in Indiana. That is why Indiana Allstars win just about every game against Kentucky Allstars, because we spend to much time in picking players for the team for other reasons besides basketball. Let the Best Basketball Player in the State of Kentucky win Mr. Basketball. :dontthink
goldenrule19 Wrote:Does Mr. Basketball have anything to do with how well you play on the court? Plus Justice is a walk-on for Louisville. I agree he can play. So if Scott County wins the State does anyone of the three top players in State on that team have a shot? Plus Pittman has the same chance as anyone. I think Mr. Basketball will be won at the Sweet 16 by they best player on the floor. If I can remember Ge'lawn Guyn got the 2nd highest votes for Mr. Basketball in the preseason not Justice. I hope Justice wins the Mr. Character award. But all of the Kids have alot of Good Character. How about the coaches vote on the best basketball player. I know Mr. Basketball in Indiana will be the best player in Indiana. That is why Indiana Allstars win just about every game against Kentucky Allstars, because we spend to much time in picking players for the team for other reasons besides basketball. Let the Best Basketball Player in the State of Kentucky win Mr. Basketball. :dontthink

agree:Thumbs:
You Could Probably Put All 5 Of Those Names In a Hat And It Would Be As Good As Guess As Anyones,This Is A Toss Up, And Nice Field
dejavu Wrote:Not going to be hard at all. If Holmes wins the state, give it to Ricardo. Pittman has no shot. Does not have the body language to get the coaches vote, although he is very talented. [B]Only one who can challenge Ricardo is Justice, who gets a lot of character votes on top of the fact he is going to Louisville and can flat play[/B[

I disagree with this big time.

1. Pittman was good enough to be voted first team all state by the coaches and media so obviously he does have a shot, especially if he puts up huge numbers this year.

2. Guyn is Rico's biggest threat for Mr. Basketball...not Justice. Why? Scott Co plays a tougher schedule than SV which will give Guyn more exposure. Justice will be hurt big time this year in the Mr. Basketball race because SV won't be seen outside of EKY. The fact that he is committed to Louisville as a WALK ON will have nothing to do with whether or not he wins the award.

5timechamp Wrote:I dont know if Justice is better than Ricardo or not but if Sv makes to another ALL A Championship and he plays well there are a lot of people who will wanna to vote for him. He just has to go out and play and give them justification.

I agree he has to go out and play to give the writers and coaches justification for their votes. But, a nice performance in the all A isn't that impressive. The KOB, Lexcath tourney, LIT, and Gaslight Holiday Classic are all more competitive tournaments than the all A state tourney.

Jason Booher has really hurt Justice chances this year by not getting out and playing someone outside of EKY other than Christian Co. The out of state tournament is nice, but honestly the writers and coaches there will have no say in whether or not Justice is considered for Mr. Basketball.

At this point, Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman, and Ge'Lawn Guyn are the favorites. Anyone else would be a long shot IMO. And so the EKY faithful don't think I'm just bashing Justice or SV, this comment is also speaking about other really good players such as Josh Sewell, Donovan Gibbs, and Chad Jackson.
The comments above I dont take as a bash. I hated to see another out of state tourney. With SV's resume and an ALL State type player I think they could have got in the King of The Bluegrass. Fifth Third or one of the better in state tourneys. Which in my opinion would be better competition and much much more competitive. A game against Holmes, Scott Co or one of the big Louisville schools would have a Sweet Sixteen atmosphere you will not have that in a Holiday tourney in Florida. The reasoned I mentioned the ALL A is because that is one of the only chances that people from Central and Western Ky may actually be in the gym watching him play rather than internet fodder and box scores. If you go on stats and what a player means to his team. Justice may be the best player in the state. He scores lots of points, assist to turnover ratio, rebounds, on pace to break the state steal record and his team is a top 10 team with him and lucky to be a top 50 team without him. Just my two cents I think any player on the list would be deserving.
I agree! It is a race that starts and ends on the court. Anything else is not being true to being Mr. Basketball. If someone wins Mr. basketball and they are not the best player! This award we not mean a nothing for years to come. So may the best player or the player that has the best season win. Good luck!
1. There is a big gap between 1st team all state and Mr. Basketball. Pittman has no shot,
Ricardo is the front runner.
2. Justice has shown he can play against anyone in the country, Shelby Valley has a great shot of going deep in the state and with some luck, could get to the semis or finals, if Holmes gets upset along the way, Justice becomes the front runner.
3. One of the Scott County boys has an outside chance if Scott does get a run going and finds a way to beat Holmes at Rupp, but they will likely split votes
Right now its Ricardo's to lose, and if he falters, Justice is most likely next in line
dejavu Wrote:Not going to be hard at all. If Holmes wins the state, give it to Ricardo. Pittman has no shot. Does not have the body language to get the coaches vote, although he is very talented. Only one who can challenge Ricardo is Justice, who gets a lot of character votes on top of the fact he is going to Louisville and can flat play

dejavu Wrote:1. There is a big gap between 1st team all state and Mr. Basketball. Pittman has no shot,
2. Justice has shown he can play against anyone in the country, Shelby Valley has a great shot of going deep in the state and with some luck, could get to the semis or finals, if Holmes gets upset along the way, Justice becomes the front runner.
3. One of the Scott County boys has an outside chance if Scott does get a run going and finds a way to beat Holmes at Rupp, but they will likely split votes
Right now its Ricardo's to lose, and if he falters, Justice is most likely next in line

When did he show that he can play against anyone in the country? Do you mean the county in eastern Kentucky? Please! Maybe he is the bottom of the top 5-10 in the State of Kentucky! Do not get me wrong he is a good player but please do not Drink the kool-Aid. I was watching Justice play in some of the top AAU tourney this year. I saw the top players and he was not one of them or did he hold his own. Let me make it plain he is not better than Ricardo Johnson, Not better than Pittman. He can not touch Ge'lawn Guyn. So if he wins and anyone of these Kid have a break out season.
MR. Basketball is not worth a damm and means not a damm thing. Plus Ricardo will not falter and the others will not falter either. :dontthink
dejavu Wrote:1. There is a big gap between 1st team all state and Mr. Basketball. Pittman has no shot,

Pittman has no shot? You're obviously delirious. The COA CHES and WRITERS/MEDIA wouldn't have listed him as a contender if he had no shot. Pittman is the most talented kid in the state, hands down, and if he has a big year he will be Mr. Basketball. I agree Ricardo is the front runner, but don't be fooled....Pittman and Guyn are right behind him.

Justice won't become a front runner if Holmes were to get upset in the state tournament. A good post season run doesn't get you the Mr. Basketball award. That award goes to the best player in the state. See John Hood last year, whose team didn't even make it to the region tournament but he still go the award. Why? HE WAS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE STATE.

The only reason Justice is even being mentioned as a contender is because of the overwhelming support he's going to get from the EKY faithful.I'm not saying he isn't a good player, because he most certainly is, but he's not the best player in the state and I doubt very seriously after the WKY, CKY, and NKY writers/coaches see Pittman and R. Johnson this year that they give a vote to Justice. Why do you think the COACHES picked R. Johnson, Pittman, and Guyn as the top 3 players in the state??

You can quote me and save it if you like but I GUARANTEE Mr. Basketball is won by either Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman, or Ge'Lawn Guyn. Justice will finish either 3rd or 4th in the race. Guyn will garner a lot of CKY votes while Johson and Pittman will get all of the NKY votes, majority of the WKY votes, and after a state championship, a fair number of the CKY votes as well. You also have to take in to account that not everyone is going to give Justice their vote in EKY because of a dislike/jealousy toward Shelby Valley..
kywldcat01 Wrote:Pittman has no shot? You're obviously delirious. The COA CHES and WRITERS/MEDIA wouldn't have listed him as a contender if he had no shot. Pittman is the most talented kid in the state, hands down, and if he has a big year he will be Mr. Basketball. I agree Ricardo is the front runner, but don't be fooled....Pittman and Guyn are right behind him.

Justice won't become a front runner if Holmes were to get upset in the state tournament. A good post season run doesn't get you the Mr. Basketball award. That award goes to the best player in the state. See John Hood last year, whose team didn't even make it to the region tournament but he still go the award. Why? HE WAS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE STATE.

The only reason Justice is even being mentioned as a contender is because of the overwhelming support he's going to get from the EKY faithful.I'm not saying he isn't a good player, because he most certainly is, but he's not the best player in the state and I doubt very seriously after the WKY, CKY, and NKY writers/coaches see Pittman and R. Johnson this year that they give a vote to Justice. Why do you think the COACHES picked R. Johnson, Pittman, and Guyn as the top 3 players in the state??

You can quote me and save it if you like but I GUARANTEE Mr. Basketball is won by either Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman, or Ge'Lawn Guyn. Justice will finish either 3rd or 4th in the race. Guyn will garner a lot of CKY votes while Johson and Pittman will get all of the NKY votes, majority of the WKY votes, and after a state championship, a fair number of the CKY votes as well. You also have to take in to account that not everyone is going to give Justice their vote in EKY because of a dislike/jealousy toward Shelby Valley..

Dead on with everything :Thumbs:
Great Post! I guess Mr. Basketball has come down to running for public office. I wish the coaches and media pick the young man that had the best season and look at the total body of work. If the votes get split you may see a Co/ Mr. Basketball this year. I know one-thing the Kentucky Allstar team should be very good if all the best players are pick. Hope we get a good coach like Bibby from Louisville Central! Let me stop dreaming! I got one ? Are you ready for some Basketball?
goldenrule19 Wrote:Great Post! I guess Mr. Basketball has come down to running for public office. I wish the coaches and media pick the young man that had the best season and look at the total body of work. If the votes get split you may see a Co/ Mr. Basketball this year. I know one-thing the Kentucky Allstar team should be very good if all the best players are pick. Hope we get a good coach like Bibby from Louisville Central! Let me stop dreaming! I got one ? Are you ready for some Basketball?

I agree...this year is one of Ky's best chances ever to knock off Indiana. You could see the following roster for the KY-IN All Star game:

6'5 Ricardo Johnson- Holmes
6'5 Jeremiah Johnson- Holmes
6'8 Elijah Pittman- Holmes
6'3 Ge'Lawn Guyn- Scott Co
6'4 Chad Jackson- Scott Co
6'8 Dakotah Euton- Scott Co
6'7 Donovan Gibbs- Iroquois
6'4 Josh Sewell- Trinity
5'11 Elisha Justice- Shelby Valley
6'9 Curtis Washington- E'town
6'1 Delquan Thomas- Eastern
6'2 Aaron Watts- McCreary Central

That's just 12 guys listed, but realistically there are 8-10 more guys that could make the team and give Kentucky just as good of a shot to win. (Bradshaw, Chiles, T. Jackson, Q. Morris, Polson, Shaq Wilson, T.Johnson, Whitaker, St. John)

I'm ready for some basketball. Can't wait to see Holmes next wednesday against Beechwood.
goldenrule19 Wrote:When did he show that he can play against anyone in the country? Do you mean the county in eastern Kentucky? Please! Maybe he is the bottom of the top 5-10 in the State of Kentucky! Do not get me wrong he is a good player but please do not Drink the kool-Aid. I was watching Justice play in some of the top AAU tourney this year. I saw the top players and he was not one of them or did he hold his own. Let me make it plain he is not better than Ricardo Johnson, Not better than Pittman. He can not touch Ge'lawn Guyn. So if he wins and anyone of these Kid have a break out season.
MR. Basketball is not worth a damm and means not a damm thing. Plus Ricardo will not falter and the others will not falter either. :dontthink

I guess Pittino saw something in Justice you didn't see.
Did you see Justice blow by Pittman to score the game winning basket in overtime at the state aau?
Even Ricardo can't stay in front of Justice off the dribble
but I will still say Mr Basketball is Ricardo's to lose
Pittman is very talented but he will not wear the #1 Jersery
He still has some growing up to do
goldenrule19 Wrote:When did he show that he can play against anyone in the country? Do you mean the county in eastern Kentucky? Please! Maybe he is the bottom of the top 5-10 in the State of Kentucky! Do not get me wrong he is a good player but please do not Drink the kool-Aid. I was watching Justice play in some of the top AAU tourney this year. I saw the top players and he was not one of them or did he hold his own. Let me make it plain he is not better than Ricardo Johnson, Not better than Pittman. He can not touch Ge'lawn Guyn. So if he wins and anyone of these Kid have a break out season.

I'm glad you feel that way, Mr. Pitino doesn't think the same way you do, scout.
dejavu Wrote:I guess Pittino saw something in Justice you didn't see.
Did you see Justice blow by Pittman to score the game winning basket in overtime at the state aau?

Good post! Demling said the crossover to win the game was the play of the year for anyone involved in Ky AAU basketball.

Anytime Justice is mentioned in a thread the same haters come out. Very predictable.
5timechamp Wrote:Good post! Demling said the crossover to win the game was the play of the year for anyone involved in Ky AAU basketball.

Anytime Justice is mentioned in a thread the same haters come out. Very predictable.

It's almost one of those things that is meant to happen, I wonder who they will turn to when he graduates?

Of course Justice blew by Pittman. Pittman is a 6'8 forward trying to guard a lighning quick 5'11 guard. I'll take the smaller, quicker guy in that match up any day of the week. Use your basketball knowledge.

You say Ricardo couldn't stay in front of Justice? Ricardo barely even guarded Elisha during that game and if I remember correctly Elisha didn't even do much in that game other than the game winning basket. Look at the overall game...not one play.

Pittman may very well have some growing up to do, but that doesn't deny the fact that the kid is one of the best players in the state and one of the favorites to win the Mr. Basketball award. The COACHES picked Pittman as the #3 best player in the state behind only Guyn and R. Johnson. I'll take their opinion over yours since theirs is the only one that matters.

PC_You_Know Wrote:I'm glad you feel that way, Mr. Pitino doesn't think the same way you do, scout.

Elisha is definetly good enough to play D1 ball but come on...he's WALKING ON at Louisville. It's not like he was offered a full ride. Richie Phares walked on at Louisville too but you don't see the SC faithful on here proclaiming him the next best thing.

5timechamp Wrote:Good post! Demling said the crossover to win the game was the play of the year for anyone involved in Ky AAU basketball.

PC_You_Know Wrote:It's almost one of those things that is meant to happen, I wonder who they will turn to when he graduates?

Nobody is hating on Justice. Look at all the posts, especially mine, and you'll see we give him the credit that he deserves. The kid is a very good player and is definetly one of the tops in the state...he isn't however the BEST in the state. This award is about the best player in the state...not the most popular from a certain region.

Just because we don't agree with some of you EKY folks that he's the next Michael Jordan doesn't mean we're bashing him. It's just OUR OPINION that he isn't the best player in the state and honestly if you ask folks from anywhere but EKY, the majority of them will agree with us.

Get out and watch some NKY, Louisville, or Lexington basketball where there's more than 1 D1 prospect in the entire area and you'll realize why we aren't as high on him as some of you are. Not a knock on him at all so don't think I'm bashing him or being a "hater."

Pittman is 6'8 both Ricardo and Ge'lawn can blow by Pittman. Plus you are talking about AAU State with the KY- Players not Holmes. We are talking about the High School Basketball State Championship and Mr. Basketball. Do you think if Pitino had a chance to get Ricardo or Ge'lawn or even Pittman to walk-on he would not jump at the chance? Justice is a good player but people take it too far. We have a Thread on Bluegrassrivials.com right now that shows Justice rating on ESPN. Now, who is rate higher on ESPN? (Ge'lawn, Ricardo, and Pittman) Preseason this is your top players in the State of Kentucky. With Justice, Sewell, St. John, Jackson, Euton, Gibbs, Thomas, Cox, Polson, Wilson, and JJ Johnson are in the next group. I think Pittman can put up the best stats of any players on the list. He is 6'8 can shoot the three and inside the paint Pittman should be unstoppable. So if he so called grows up the season he wins Mr. Basketball. :argue:

Be happy with Justice being a top 10 player! But to keep putting the other young man down to bulid up Justice is No Basketball IQ. And I hope that is all that it is Basketball IQ.
Well said goldenrule.

Too many times people on this site get defensive when someone doesn't worship Justice the way they do. Look, nobody is bashing the kid. He is obviously one of the top players in the state.

Just because we don't think he's the best in the state however, doesn't mean we're bashing him.

Here's something to think about. In the Preseason coaches top 25 players poll, there were 111 coaches who voted.

Of those 111 coaches who voted, only EIGHT thought that Justice was the best player in the state. I guess the other 103 coaches in the state are "haters" too though...right?
kywldcat01 Wrote:Well said goldenrule.

Too many times people on this site get defensive when someone doesn't worship Justice the way they do. Look, nobody is bashing the kid. He is obviously one of the top players in the state.

Just because we don't think he's the best in the state however, doesn't mean we're bashing him.

Here's something to think about. In the Preseason coaches top 25 players poll, there were 111 coaches who voted.

Of those 111 coaches who voted, only EIGHT thought that Justice was the best player in the state. I guess the other 103 coaches in the state are "haters" too though...right?

I don't recall anyone on here saying he was the best in the state or a Michael Jordan. He does, however, do the most with the least of anyone on this list in my opinion.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I don't recall anyone on here saying he was the best in the state or a Michael Jordan. He does, however, do the most with the least of anyone on this list in my opinion.
True, he's like last years John Hood.

I think it's more the haters want us all to know he's NOWHERE near even being close to nowhere near a MJ. No Valley fan, Elisha fan, or basketball fan has said that he is an MJ, or anything crazy like that, sure, you have some people on here who no one really knows who they root for are saying "Elisha for President" "Elisha will win Mr. Basketball" "Elisha to the NBA", but no true fan of SV says crazy stuff like that.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I don't recall anyone on here saying he was the best in the state or a Michael Jordan. He does, however, do the most with the least of anyone on this list in my opinion.

You can't be serious in saying he does the most with the least.

I could understand if he played on a bad team, but Elisha is apart of a top 10 basketball team. I'm not buying that.

PC_You_Know Wrote:True, he's like last years John Hood.

I think it's more the haters want us all to know he's NOWHERE near even being close to nowhere near a MJ. No Valley fan, Elisha fan, or basketball fan has said that he is an MJ, or anything crazy like that, sure, you have some people on here who no one really knows who they root for are saying "Elisha for President" "Elisha will win Mr. Basketball" "Elisha to the NBA", but no true fan of SV says crazy stuff like that.

Like last year's John Hood? You can't be serious. Hood averaged 30 and 15 a game last year and was the only option for the Maroons so he'd have 3 defenders smothering him the whole game. Elisha sees no where near that kind of pressure because of Hatfield and the Newsome boys.

Again, we're not trying to say Justice isn't this or that. But if anyone says anything like he isn't close to being the best in the state or we don't agree with your praises of him, all of a sudden we're bashing the kid.

This thread is about the Mr. Basketball candidates and all of a sudden it's turned in to an Elisha Justice thread. Get the point why we point out his flaws more than some of the SV and EKY contingent? Nobody is hating. We're simply stating the truth and you get defensive.
If the award goes the player who has the best individual year. Which is what you guys say you want......Justice will win.
Pages: 1 2 3