Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Powell County 2010
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Will the Pirates be better?
Powell should be better next season. They were very young last year. They are bringing back a lot of players that contributed last year. They need to get in the weight room and get stronger. One of the biggest problems for them last year was that they got pushed around. But now they are lifting and getting stronger. Be on the lookout for Anthony Moore for the Pirates next year. He was a first year player last season, but I think he will make a big impact on both sides of the ball. He has the potential to be great. Best of luck next season.
neverwas Wrote:Will the Pirates be better?

If they can play D at all they should be better.Weakest D we faced all year.They haven't been taught to tackle and don't play physical.
Defense has to improve. Anthony Moore and John Dennis are very athletic. They need to be consistent in the weight room. Daylan Charles, Devon Sparks, Austin Johnson, Kienan Tiller, DJ Jones, Dalton Spence will get stronger and step up next year. Powell will have very good junior class.
I believe Powell are going to impress and surprise a lot of people next year. They return the majority of the team. The kids are already making progress in the weight room. It will be the second year under a new head coach and offense. I see a 2-9 record becoming a 9-2 record.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:I believe Powell are going to impress and surprise a lot of people next year. They return the majority of the team. The kids are already making progress in the weight room. It will be the second year under a new head coach and offense. I see a 2-9 record becoming a 9-2 record.

Lets not get carried away now.
They should be better, might be a 4-6 team next year. They got some talent in their jr. class.. No way 9-2, reality check in order.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:They should be better, might be a 4-6 team next year. They got some talent in their jr. class.. No way 9-2, reality check in order.

I would love to hear you reasoning why you don't think they could be a 9-2 team (or better). They will be playing practically the same schedule, the kids will have a year in a new system under their belts, they will be stronger and better conditioned, they will understand the offense and blocking schemes better, Burchett will have more time to develop a coaching staff, and they will improve on defense. And that is the key. Defense. If you recall, when Powell wasn't turning the ball over, they were putting up points on EVERYONE. They were just too weak, small, young and inexperienced to stop the other teams. Throw in an offseason of weight lifting, conditioning and maturing and you have a team similar to Lawrence Co. and what they accomplished this year. Don't be so quick to judge a team under a new coach and system. I did with LC, and ate my words.
Def. must improve and will some. McCreary put 50 points on board with Watts setting 2nd half. It would have been 70+ with him playing. Good luck to Powell.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:I would love to hear you reasoning why you don't think they could be a 9-2 team (or better). [COLOR="Red"]They will be playing practically the same schedule[/COLOR], the kids will have a year in a new system under their belts, they will be stronger and better conditioned, they will understand the offense and blocking schemes better, Burchett will have more time to develop a coaching staff, and they will improve on defense. And that is the key. Defense. If you recall, when Powell wasn't turning the ball over, they were putting up points on EVERYONE. They were just too weak, small, young and inexperienced to stop the other teams. Throw in an offseason of weight lifting, conditioning and maturing and you have a team similar to Lawrence Co. and what they accomplished this year. Don't be so quick to judge a team under a new coach and system. I did with LC, and ate my words.

Im not trying to knock you. But these other teams on the schedule will also be in the weight room doing the same. Dont forget about that. I see a 5-5 at best 6-4 season. Best of luck to Powell.
Powell will be much improved. Elliot, Frankie, Conners, Charlse, Taulbee, Dillon Davis, Possum, Johnson, Sparks, all these guys can play and will have another year of experience under their belt. I know most of these guys are juniors next year and Frankie Spencer and Conners both started a game or two as freshman. Taulbee is perfect for coach Burchett's Belly offense. I look for Powell to be a alot better next season.
MR. NOBODY Wrote:Im not trying to knock you. But these other teams on the schedule will also be in the weight room doing the same. Dont forget about that. I see a 5-5 at best 6-4 season. Best of luck to Powell.

But look at the tradition of most of the teams on the schedule. Most of them have average or worse seasons every year. Most of them aren't really used to being part of a dominate program. Now look at Burchett's past teams. I think the records and numbers speak for themselves. Everyone is just so used to doubting Powell and putting them down that no one thinks that they are capable of winning. And they weren't before due to not having support from the school, fans and community. The table is turning in Powell Co. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:But look at the tradition of most of the teams on the schedule. Most of them have average or worse seasons every year. Most of them aren't really used to being part of a dominate program. Now look at Burchett's past teams. I think the records and numbers speak for themselves. Everyone is just so used to doubting Powell and putting them down that no one thinks that they are capable of winning. And they weren't before due to not having support from the school, fans and community. The table is turning in Powell Co. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised.
First off Powell never had anything that even resembled a tradition in football. Program "never" had a winning season "ever" in over 20+ years until Whitaker's last year. No team on your schedule has been worse than Powell year in and out. Check the win/loss ratios vs. any team on your shcedule against teams Powell has played consistantly. Dominate? Powell didn't win a game for years at one point. Powell has had 1 winning season ever, So I wouldn't speak of "most" if I were you. All these other teams( as you call most) have had more success than Powell co. Now wait a minute, I'm sure Burchett knows football, he's been around some good teams and coaches so I'm sure the man knows his stuff but you say look at his past teams??? I thought Matney coached Johnson Centra? I thought Williams coached Lawrence? I thought Burchett was the line coach. Not saying the man can't coach or don't know, I'm sure he does but you can't say "look what he done", No I in team and he didn't call the shots. They did win Whitaker's last year but they were obviously not capable the 21 years or so before that. The table is turning?? please explain. How? They won 6 games last year and 2 games this year. Whitaker would have won 7 or 8 games this year.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:First off Powell never had anything that even resembled a tradition in football. Program "never" had a winning season "ever" in over 20+ years until Whitaker's last year. No team on your schedule has been worse than Powell year in and out. Check the win/loss ratios vs. any team on your shcedule against teams Powell has played consistantly. Dominate? Powell didn't win a game for years at one point. Powell has had 1 winning season ever, So I wouldn't speak of "most" if I were you. All these other teams( as you call most) have had more success than Powell co. Now wait a minute, I'm sure Burchett knows football, he's been around some good teams and coaches so I'm sure the man knows his stuff but you say look at his past teams??? I thought Matney coached Johnson Centra? I thought Williams coached Lawrence? I thought Burchett was the line coach. Not saying the man can't coach or don't know, I'm sure he does but you can't say "look what he done", No I in team and he didn't call the shots. They did win Whitaker's last year but they were obviously not capable the 21 years or so before that. The table is turning?? please explain. How? They won 6 games last year and 2 games this year. Whitaker would have won 7 or 8 games this year.
I doubt Whitaker could have won 7 or 8 games. He may have been able to keep Flinchum and Faulkner, but who knows. Remember, he would not have had Jesse Rose if he had stayed since his father got the good job in Letcher County. Without Jesse it would have been difficult to win the 7 or 8 games.
Trust your coach, believe in your teammates, put the off-season work in - do those things and there will be improvement.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:First off Powell never had anything that even resembled a tradition in football. Program "never" had a winning season "ever" in over 20+ years until Whitaker's last year. No team on your schedule has been worse than Powell year in and out. Check the win/loss ratios vs. any team on your shcedule against teams Powell has played consistantly. Dominate? Powell didn't win a game for years at one point. Powell has had 1 winning season ever, So I wouldn't speak of "most" if I were you. All these other teams( as you call most) have had more success than Powell co. Now wait a minute, I'm sure Burchett knows football, he's been around some good teams and coaches so I'm sure the man knows his stuff but you say look at his past teams??? I thought Matney coached Johnson Centra? I thought Williams coached Lawrence? I thought Burchett was the line coach. Not saying the man can't coach or don't know, I'm sure he does but you can't say "look what he done", No I in team and he didn't call the shots. They did win Whitaker's last year but they were obviously not capable the 21 years or so before that. The table is turning?? please explain. How? They won 6 games last year and 2 games this year. Whitaker would have won 7 or 8 games this year.

Wow. Amazing how you have managed to turn everything positive I have said about this program into a dispute. Never did I say that Burchett was head coach at ANY of these schools. Never did I say he was the man calling all the shots for those teams. I was simply stating the fact that he has been a crucial part of some of the most dominant programs in the state of KY over the past decade. He will not let these kids settle for being losers. I also NEVER made mention of Powell being a dominant program. I was saying that they had NEVER had tradition and that Burchett would bring all of these qualities. I have just simply stated the facts. Powell finally has a good football coach that knows what it takes to win. Something that, in my opinion, has been lacking for a LONG TIME. As for Whitaker winning 7 or 8 games? Give me a break. I guess he also would have settled for players skipping practice? The loss of the Rose kid would not have mattered to him? He would have given birth to an experienced running back? You, for some reason, have a serious issue with a new head coach in his first year putting in a completely, and much better offense. It takes time to develop a program. You are obviously just a fanboy or you would know and understand what it takes. If you are a Powell fan, you need to support your program instead of putting it down. I'd love to see you get out there and coach a team of underclassmen learning a new offense. You know,since you are MR. PERFECT and all.
neverwas Wrote:I doubt Whitaker could have won 7 or 8 games. He may have been able to keep Flinchum and Faulkner, but who knows. Remember, he would not have had Jesse Rose if he had stayed since his father got the good job in Letcher County. Without Jesse it would have been difficult to win the 7 or 8 games.

This guy knows all about Jesse Rose.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:This guy knows all about Jesse Rose.
Not really. Whitaker is gone. Burchett is the Powell coach. Comparisons are not fair since Burchett came into a totally different situation. Powell County boys were devastated when our ex-coach left. Burchett is a good man and will do a good job at Powell. He needs more help and support. I hope he can get it.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:This guy knows all about Jesse Rose.

I was talking about MR. PERFECT. Sorry.
Mr. Sandwich, you have a good understanding of the situation at Powell. Mr. Perfect is a year removed from the program.
neverwas Wrote:Mr. Sandwich, you have a good understanding of the situation at Powell. Mr. Perfect is a year removed from the program.

I have a great understanding of the program. I played for Burchett at LC during their period of dominance, followed his and Chuke's coaching at Bourbon, and when they parted ways, I kept up with Chuke at Paintsville (for his brief stint there) and Burchett when his offensive line coaching created the juggernaut rushing game that the Golden Eagles at Johnson Central are so well known for today. I'm just trying to let it be known, Powell has got a heck of a coach on it's hands now. I could tell by looking at MR. PERFECT's posts where he is now. Easy to rip on a program that is rebuilding when you are no longer a part of that program (as a player, parent or spectator).
mr perfect is exactly right....im tired of mr sandwich making retarded statements about how good coach burchette is.....powell counties players need to quit worrying about this site and what everyone thinks about them.....get your behinds in the weight room and lift untill you cant anymore.....a skilled and talented team is good...but if powell doesnt improve their strength or they will beat nobody....they will not be 9-2 unless they improve their strength.....they must listen to coaching want to become better players......if your playing football to look cool which alot of players are doing then you will not improve.....i will never tell a team that they cannot make the goals they set....but you have to work towards your goal and it will take alot of time and effort....i do agree that powell has loads of potential with young players but quit talking about it and go do it...i know what it feels like to be told that you cannot make a goal you set i played for the 6-5 team in 08 and was a couple of plays away from a 9-4 season....you will not win many games unless you get stronger.....good luck to powell
Your advice to the players is right on target. They do have to put in a lot of hard work to get to where they want to be. If you truly care for the program however, be cautious about agreeing with Mr. Perfect. He is not a friend of the Powell program. Look at his posts. Whether you think Burchett is a good coach or not, you as an ex-player need to support him. You were fortunate to have your senior season play out as it did. The past is the past. We need to be positive about the future.
neverwas Wrote:I doubt Whitaker could have won 7 or 8 games. He may have been able to keep Flinchum and Faulkner, but who knows. Remember, he would not have had Jesse Rose if he had stayed since his father got the good job in Letcher County. Without Jesse it would have been difficult to win the 7 or 8 games.

If everything would have remained in-tact, Coaching staff, system, players, There is no doubt in my mind we could have won 7 games. Coach Burchett does a good job though, give him some time, Powell co. will be fine. The Belly is one of the best plays in football. We're going to be alot better here at Morgan the next few years as well, I look forward to some good football games vs. Powell co. over the next couple years.
the biggest problem in powell county is the support of the fans and the people in the county. most people in the county actually put down the football team because of only 1 good season. i think support is the key to a good winning program because the crowd can play a role in alot of football games and any past players or players right now know what im talking about
Why do you think Jesse left? If Whitaker had been in Powell Co this year, Jesse would still be here. Fact is, if our Defense was better, we would have won 3 or 4 more games. Our Offense wasn't harnessed too often this year by the opposing Defense. It was harnessed by turnovers. We turned it over 44 times. You can't win many games turning the ball over that often. I think Burchett is a great fit for Powell. He is a class act. His offense is very good. We just need to get our D in line.
Totally agree with everything you said. I know why the Rose kid left. Too bad, he would have been among state rushing leaders if he had stayed.
Let me ask you a Q coach. Was it the scheme or what was the problem with the defense this season? I'm not being negative here, just wondering. I know losing Faulkner and Flinchum was huge on the defensive side of the ball, both of those guys could play.
Youth, lack of strength, and very inexperienced at corners. Corners are very athletic and have great potential however. Boys need to hit weights hard and an experienced D coordinator would not hurt.
First-ever winning season a year ago, 2-9 last year. I know this jr. class coming up was very good as 8th graders. Powell should have alot back if they all stick together. Can or will Powell match or top that first-ever winning season from a year ago...ever?
Pages: 1 2 3